How did your surname influence your baby's name?

[name]Just[/name] curious. :slight_smile: And, would you have chosen a different name if not for your last name?

I canā€™t use [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Scarlett[/name] or really any name ending in a hard ā€˜tā€™ because of my last name!

Our last name contains the 'ic" sound, so that eliminated names [name]Eric[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] that I loved. The rhyminess would have sounded silly.

I dont have children yet, probably wont for a long time, but I dont think it will matter.
I think when I have kids Iā€™ll name the first girl [name]Brigette[/name] [name]Ann[/name] [name]Michelle[/name].

My last name ends in Y and i love alot of names thats end with y. I would absolutely name my first daughter [name]Avery[/name] but its too much of a mouth full. We are focusing on names ending with n t and r those all seems to go pretty well!

This is a great question and I would love to hear more peoples opinions on this subject. As two of the posters above mentioned that they could not do names they loved because of the repetitive sounds, the first thing that came to mind was a book called baby names, its purpose is to find names that are complementary to each other and the premise to decide what sounds are in your last name and then to find names that have similar sounds, the authors feel that this can make a very flowing name. So to the person who said they couldnt use [name]Eric[/name] or [name]Nicolas[/name], I would revisit this. Look at [name]Leonardo[/name] Dicaprioā€™s name, it has many of the same sounds and his name is very appealing in my opinion.

My 2-syllable LN starts with Str- and ends in -an. So any first name like [name]Iris[/name] is out because the 'sā€™s run together. Also any name like [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Hudson[/name] is out because it is to rhymey. I have nixed [name]Cecelia[/name] because of too many ā€˜sā€™ sounds.

My last name starts with a D and ends in an IS. Because of this, first names that end in D or a D sound are out like [name]Chad[/name] and [name]Wade[/name] because the first and last name run together. I also canā€™t use [name]Angus[/name] or [name]Nicholas[/name] or anything like that since it sounds too repetitive. I have adored the name [name]Angus[/name] since I was in high school, but will never be able to use it. [name]Every[/name] last name probably comes with some type of naming challenge.

My husbandā€™s last name is a -son name, which is one of the reasons I nixed [name]Morgan[/name]ā€“too rhymey. I think the number of syllables matters too. I wouldnā€™t pair an extremely long first name with an extremely long last name, for instance.

My last name is 4 syllables, and rhymes with [name]Isabella[/name]. So anything that sounds like [name]Isabella[/name] is out :slight_smile: .

Seeing as Iā€™m only 18 & donā€™t plan to have kids anytime soon, if my husbandā€™s last name ends with -y, Iā€™ll still use [name]Bailey[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. If it ends with -son, -en, Iā€™d most likely still use [name]Lauren[/name]. I think it solely depends on how good the name flows with the middle & last names. If [name]Bailey[/name] doesnā€™t work out with the last name, then I might not use it. If [name]Lauren[/name] doesnā€™t, I might not use it [although either way Iā€™ll be highly disappointed.] I honestly donā€™t mind repetitive sounds, if they flow; they go. Thatā€™s all that matters, in my opinion.

My surname rhymes with Wicks, so if I had used [name]Eric[/name] or [name]Nicholas[/name], the repetitive sounds would have been [name]Eric[/name] Wicks and [name]Nick[/name] Wicksā€¦ so [name]Eric[/name] and [name]Nicholas[/name] had to be nixed off my list.

If thereā€™s someone super famous with your last name you pretty much canā€™t use their first name. Also rhyming names with your last name is awful too.

Our last name definitely influenced our choice for girlsā€¦we couldnā€™t use [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name], because they were much too long with our long last name!

My husbandā€™s surname begins with ā€˜sā€™ - so that means it would be difficult to use [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Rose[/name], because the 'sā€™s would run into each other. I have not changed my surname and am considered hyphenating my kids names, with my name first. So yeah, I think surnames are a big factor when choosing the first names, and can be the deal breaker!!

I canā€™t use [name]Piper[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name], which I love, because last name is a long, weird, 4-syl, ā€œPā€ name. lol

Our last name is sounds like Johansson (well, thatā€™s it, but spelled differently) so weā€™ve nixed everything beginning with [name]Jo[/name], which I hate. I love the names [name]Johanna[/name] and [name]Josephine[/name] and even [name]Joel[/name], but Iā€™d never do that to my kid. We also canā€™t use [name]Scarlett[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name] (pretty heartbreaking for us, lol) because of [name]Scarlett[/name] Johansson. We probably would have went with [name]Charlotte[/name] for our first daughter (whose namesake is my uncle [name]Charles[/name]) because we love that name, but everyone kept telling us it sounded awkward with our last name.