How difficult is it to get a name change in the U.S. or in France?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

I would like to know how difficult is it to get a first name change and/or a surname change in the U.S. and/or in [name_f]France[/name_f]?

Considering that the only reason for the name change would in truth be “for convenience” (i.e. just to get a better name, without any real legitimate reason), but that we would be able to get a very good lawyer.

By “how difficult”, I’m not talking about how long the process would be nor about how much money we would need to spend, I’m talking about the probabilities of success.

Is it much harder to get a surname change than a first name change?

Is the difficulty of getting a name change significantly different in [name_f]France[/name_f] than in the U.S.?

Thx in advance.

I don’t know about [name_f]France[/name_f], but the main concern of the courts in the U.S. is they want to make sure you’re not changing your name for illegal or fraudulent reasons. If you have strikes against you like a felony history, massive debts, etc. then you would likely be more scrutinized, but if you don’t have anything along those lines against you then simply preferring a different name is a perfectly acceptable reason to change your name. The difficulty in changing your first vs. last name (except of course in marriage or divorce cases) should be the same (although changing your full name in borderline suspicious cases as mentioned above might also be viewed more carefully than just changing part of your name).