How do these sound together?

[name]Hi[/name]

I realy, really love [name]Elspeth[/name]! My only concern is that an old girlfriend of my husband’s was called [name]Beth[/name] ([name]Bethany[/name]) - too similar? On the plus side, my mother’s middle name is [name]Elizabeth[/name] and I do like the idea of honoring her. x[/quote]

You like [name]Elspeth[/name]? Woo-hoo!!! That was my favorite, too! I love [name]Greer[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name], and [name]Finlay[/name]!

For me, [name]Elspeth[/name] and [name]Beth[/name] aren’t too close, but that’s just me. [name]Elizabeth[/name], to me, is a lot closer to [name]Beth[/name] than [name]Elspeth[/name]. If it bothers you though, that’s what matters. You can call her [name]Elsie[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name] for short if you wanted. I love how [name]Elspeth[/name] could honor your mom!:slight_smile:

Take care! :-)[/quote]
[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name]

So I’ve been thinking about it for the last few days and I really love [name]Elspeth[/name] and I’m starting to get so used to the sound of it with the other names that I’m starting to forget the whole ‘[name]Beth[/name]’ thing. I think it may be the one! So… [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] as a sibset? Also, if you wouldn’t mind telling me, what is it about [name]Elspeth[/name] that you feel complements / ‘fits’ [name]Lorcan[/name]? I think hearing it from someone else would be really helpful to set it in my mind. Many thanks again! x

[quote=“kath”]

So I’ve been thinking about it for the last few days and I really love [name]Elspeth[/name] and I’m starting to get so used to the sound of it with the other names that I’m starting to forget the whole ‘[name]Beth[/name]’ thing. I think it may be the one! So… [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] as a sibset? Also, if you wouldn’t mind telling me, what is it about [name]Elspeth[/name] that you feel complements / ‘fits’ [name]Lorcan[/name]? I think hearing it from someone else would be really helpful to set it in my mind. Many thanks again! x[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! To me, [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are amazing together! I’ve always loved the name [name]Elspeth[/name], and I think it’s perfect with [name]Lorcan[/name], because:

1. [name]Both[/name] [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] aren’t heard often (at least in the US)
  2. [name]Both[/name] [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] feel distinguished/sophisticated to me
  3. [name]Both[/name] names feel fresh/creative to me
  4. [name]Both[/name] names sound strong to me
  5. To me, both [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] are distinctive names

So, I think of [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] as equals when it comes to distinctiveness, strength, sophistication, and creative edge.

I really love your sib set! :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

So I’ve been thinking about it for the last few days and I really love [name]Elspeth[/name] and I’m starting to get so used to the sound of it with the other names that I’m starting to forget the whole ‘[name]Beth[/name]’ thing. I think it may be the one! So… [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] as a sibset? Also, if you wouldn’t mind telling me, what is it about [name]Elspeth[/name] that you feel complements / ‘fits’ [name]Lorcan[/name]? I think hearing it from someone else would be really helpful to set it in my mind. Many thanks again! x[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! To me, [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are amazing together! I’ve always loved the name [name]Elspeth[/name], and I think it’s perfect with [name]Lorcan[/name], because:

1. [name]Both[/name] [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] aren’t heard often (at least in the US)
  2. [name]Both[/name] [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] feel distinguished/sophisticated to me
  5. To me, both [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] are distinctive names

So, I think of [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Elspeth[/name] as equals when it comes to distinctiveness, strength, sophistication, and creative edge.

It’s me again - but you may notice I’m now ‘kath1’ instead of just ‘kath’ as I had to change my email address!!

Many, many thanks for this response, it really helped me to see the names together. I am continuing to fall more in love with the name [name]Elspeth[/name] every day; it really seems to be sticking!

Since you’ve been so helpful, I wonder if I could just trouble you with one final question - how much do you think it matters that [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish in origin, while [name]Lorcan[/name] is Irish? We are actually Scottish, but just fell in love with [name]Lorcan[/name] and couldn’t resist it, even though it is Irish and not Scottish. [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish, like us, and we love them, but would this make [name]Lorcan[/name] really stand out from the others? Or do they still somehow kind of ‘blend’? You feel the names are matched in terms of ‘unusual-ness’, right? Many thanks in advance again. x

It’s me again - but you may notice I’m now ‘kath1’ instead of just ‘kath’ as I had to change my email address!!

Many, many thanks for this response, it really helped me to see the names together. I am continuing to fall more in love with the name [name]Elspeth[/name] every day; it really seems to be sticking!

Since you’ve been so helpful, I wonder if I could just trouble you with one final question - how much do you think it matters that [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish in origin, while [name]Lorcan[/name] is Irish? We are actually Scottish, but just fell in love with [name]Lorcan[/name] and couldn’t resist it, even though it is Irish and not Scottish. [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish, like us, and we love them, but would this make [name]Lorcan[/name] really stand out from the others? Or do they still somehow kind of ‘blend’? You feel the names are matched in terms of ‘unusual-ness’, right? Many thanks in advance again. x[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] again! :slight_smile: You’re not troubling me at all! This is fun! :slight_smile: I love everything about [name]Elspeth[/name]!

[name]Even[/name] though [name]Elspeth[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish, I still think they’re great with [name]Lorcan[/name]. Yes, [name]Lorcan[/name] is Irish, but to me, a lot of Irish names, Scottish names, and even Welsh names have the same feel. That’s just me, though. I don’t know if it makes you feel better, but according to Nameberry and another site, Behind the Name, [name]Finlay[/name] is both Irish and Scottish.

When I see your list of names, [name]Lorcan[/name] doesn’t jump out at me as being the lone Irish name. Honestly. To me, all of the names on your list blend together perfectly. If it bothers you, though, that’s what matters.

About what I was saying above, the following names all work together to me, just like the names on your list, even though they’re of different origins:

[name]Angus[/name]
Alastiar
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Breckin[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]

So, to me, I guess it’s the feel I notice more than the origin.

I love the names you’ve chosen, and think they’re great together! :slight_smile:

Have a good night (or day)! :slight_smile:

[quote=“jill”]

Since you’ve been so helpful, I wonder if I could just trouble you with one final question - how much do you think it matters that [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish in origin, while [name]Lorcan[/name] is Irish? We are actually Scottish, but just fell in love with [name]Lorcan[/name] and couldn’t resist it, even though it is Irish and not Scottish. [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish, like us, and we love them, but would this make [name]Lorcan[/name] really stand out from the others? Or do they still somehow kind of ‘blend’? You feel the names are matched in terms of ‘unusual-ness’, right? Many thanks in advance again. x[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name] again! :slight_smile: You’re not troubling me at all! This is fun! :slight_smile: I love everything about [name]Elspeth[/name]!

[name]Even[/name] though [name]Elspeth[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are Scottish, I still think they’re great with [name]Lorcan[/name]. Yes, [name]Lorcan[/name] is Irish, but to me, a lot of Irish names, Scottish names, and even Welsh names have the same feel. That’s just me, though. I don’t know if it makes you feel better, but according to Nameberry and another site, Behind the Name, [name]Finlay[/name] is both Irish and Scottish.

When I see your list of names, [name]Lorcan[/name] doesn’t jump out at me as being the lone Irish name. Honestly. To me, all of the names on your list blend together perfectly. If it bothers you, though, that’s what matters.

About what I was saying above, the following names all work together to me, just like the names on your list, even though they’re of different origins:

[name]Angus[/name]
Alastiar
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Breckin[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]

I love the names you’ve chosen, and think they’re great together! :slight_smile:

Have a good night (or day)! :-)[/quote]
[name]Hi[/name] again!

[name]Do[/name] any Irish names spring to mind that would slip right in, in place of [name]Finlay[/name], to ‘balance things out’? [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name] and…? [name]Just[/name] exploring my options! I’m generally pretty happy with [name]Finlay[/name], but just wondering… many thanks :slight_smile:

[name]Angus[/name]
Alastiar
[name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Breckin[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Cashel[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]
[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Seamus[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]

Have a good night (or day)! :-)[/quote]
[name]Hi[/name] again!

[name]Do[/name] any Irish names spring to mind that would slip right in, in place of [name]Finlay[/name], to ‘balance things out’? [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name] and…? [name]Just[/name] exploring my options! I’m generally pretty happy with [name]Finlay[/name], but just wondering… many thanks :-)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]!

Some Irish names with [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name], and:

[name]Conall[/name] (I saw this in a Nameberry Blog recently, and thought it was really handsome…) :slight_smile:
[name]Cashel[/name] (Contains the [name]El[/name] of [name]Elspeth[/name], though, which may or may not bother you…)
[name]Phinean[/name]
[name]Malachy[/name]
[name]Rafferty[/name]

Other [name]Fin[/name] names:

[name]Finnian[/name]
[name]Finbar[/name]

(Aside from [name]Finnian[/name]/[name]Phinean[/name], I stayed away from names ending in N like [name]Lorcan[/name], because I noticed that your favorites all have different ending sounds.) :slight_smile:

I do think that [name]Finlay[/name] is great though, because from what I understand, it’s also an Irish name, and it makes me think of [name]Finn[/name]. :slight_smile:

I love your names!

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Jill[/name]!

I just wanted to run something by you. I’ve been feeling for the past couple days that [name]Finlay[/name] isn’t quite right with the other names. Here in the UK at least, it is getting pretty popular and trendy, which I don’t think fits with the other names I’m choosing. Then, whilst researching online, I stumbled across a name that I have ALWAYS LOVED the sound and feel of, but felt I should steer clear from, as I wanted to stick to celtic/gaelic names. Then to my surprise and delight, I found that some sources do list the name as being Irish - which would fit right in with [name]Lorcan[/name], and balance out the whole Irish/ Scottish thing, whilst also (I think) feling a bit fresher and more original than [name]Finlay[/name], more like [name]Lorcan[/name]. The name is… [name]Milo[/name]. What do you think? [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] - cute? I also recall that [name]Ricki[/name] [name]Lake[/name] has 2 boys named [name]Owen[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], which I think feels similar to [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Milo[/name]. [name]Do[/name] they go well together? I know a lot of sources do not say that [name]Milo[/name] is Irish in origin, but [name]Finlay[/name] is not ‘completely’ Irish either… I really have always loved [name]Milo[/name], I mean since I was a little girl. But then I loved [name]Lorcan[/name] more, named my first son [name]Lorcan[/name] and then felt [name]Milo[/name] wasn’t compatible in terms of origin, so thought I would have to leave it - until today. I am very concerned with making sure the names I choose are equally pitched in terms of unique-ness, and none stand out alone. Where I am, [name]Lorcan[/name] is very unusual, as is [name]Milo[/name], I think. [name]Finlay[/name] is pretty common. I don’t know if this is similar in the US (where I think you’re from, forgive me if I’m wrong?) Anyway: [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Greer[/name]…as always your honesty would be greatly appreciated. :slight_smile:

Hubby has ‘vetoed’ [name]Milo[/name]! I have also had another thought - [name]Darby[/name]?
[name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Darby[/name] and [name]Greer[/name]. [name]Darby[/name] is certainly a lot more unusual than [name]Finlay[/name], but does it sound as good? :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], Kath!

Sorry to commandeer your conversation with [name]Jill[/name], but I’ve been reading a bit of your thread and was excited to see that you had decided [name]Finley[/name] wasn’t quite right! I’d been meaning to say that I didn’t think it quite captured the unique elegance and sophistication of [name]Elspeth[/name] (love!), [name]Lorcan[/name], and [name]Greer[/name], but I’m glad that you could make the decision on your own…

I see you are trying to “replace” it, and I had a thought. Since you were concerned that [name]Lorcan[/name] was the odd-Irish-out, what about another Irish name? I love the mix of Irish and Scottish you have already created, to be honest! Additionally, since you’ve got [name]Greer[/name] as the lone one-syllable name, would you be open to another? Here is a short list of some boy names that I think compliment the crisp, polished feel of [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name], and [name]Lorcan[/name].

[name]Boyd[/name]
[name]Doyle[/name]
[name]Duff[/name]
[name]Keefe[/name]
[name]Neil[/name]
[name]Quade[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]

My favorite is [name]Boyd[/name]! I just love the sound of [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name], and [name]Boyd[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of your girl names are subtly feminine while maintaining a sophisticated, elegant feel, whereas each boy name is timelessly handsome and strong, while still being playful and energetic. What do you think?

PS [name]Boyd[/name] is listed as Scottish on NB, but babynames.com lists it as Irish. So, I’m not totally sure, origin-wise, but I still love it with the set!

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Lemon[/name]!

Very grateful for your input!

I think your idea of a short name is a good one, and I will have to give it some thought. But right off the bat, I quite like the sound of [name]Boyd[/name]. I’m going to think about it and try it out!

Many thanks :slight_smile:

You are very welcome, Kath!

I’m glad you like it! It seems that Irish and Scottish are both right for [name]Boyd[/name], actually! The name means “blonde” or “yellow,” too. It is actually my father’s middle name, and I’d love to pass it on to a future son in the form of [name]William[/name] [name]Boyd[/name], personally…

Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name], Kath! :slight_smile:

I saw that your husband didn’t like [name]Milo[/name], and for what it’s worth, as much as I love the name, it doesn’t have the same feel to me as [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name], and [name]Greer[/name]. Although [name]Finlay[/name] is popular (I hinted at that issue in a previous post, but I didn’t want to say anything more because I thought you loved [name]Finlay[/name], which is really important), it didn’t stand out to me with [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name], and [name]Lorcan[/name], the way [name]Milo[/name] unfortunately does.

I know you’ll find the perfect name, Kath! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Lemon[/name]!

I’ve slept on it, and whilst I don’t feel that [name]Boyd[/name] is quite right for me, you definitely have a sense of the ‘feel’ I want for that missing name! Can you think of any others in the same vein? I was wondering about [name]Tate[/name]… :slight_smile:

I’ve slept on it, and whilst I don’t feel that [name]Boyd[/name] is quite right for me, you definitely have a sense of the ‘feel’ I want for that missing name! Can you think of any others in the same vein? I was wondering about [name]Tate[/name]… :-)[/quote]

Or something of the same ilk as [name]Tate[/name]…

[name]Meredith[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Finlay[/name] and [name]Greer[/name].

[name]Do[/name] they go together well? [name]Do[/name] any stand out, or not fit in? :-)[/quote]

[name]Meredith[/name] - It sounds Welsh and wild but also classic. This is one of my favorite middle names. I also like it a lot for a first name.

[name]Lorcan[/name] - sounds Celtic and wild but not so classic.

[name]Finlay[/name] - to me, this is an androgynous name.

[name]Greer[/name] - a lot like [name]Lorcan[/name]. I know it’s a girls’ name because of [name]Greer[/name] [name]Garson[/name]. This is a recognizable name unlike [name]Boyd[/name]. [name]Boyd[/name] sounds more like a surname to me. It doesn’t have a very pleasant sound. [name]Greer[/name] is prettier. [name]Tate[/name] makes me think of a tater. But that’s just me.

[name]Hi[/name], Kath!

With [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name], and [name]Greer[/name], you might like:

[name]Boyce[/name]
[name]Bruce[/name]
[name]Burns[/name]
[name]Craig[/name]
[name]Dunn[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]*
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Keith[/name]
[name]Knox[/name]*
[name]Mac[/name]
[name]Ross[/name]*
[name]Thane[/name]*

Or, if you extend your search to Irish names, maybe these:

[name]Doyle[/name]
[name]Duff[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Gus[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Keefe[/name]*
[name]Neil[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]Troy[/name]

So, I personally think your best bets are [name]Graeme[/name], [name]Knox[/name], [name]Ross[/name], [name]Thane[/name], and [name]Keefe[/name], but [name]Graeme[/name] and [name]Greer[/name] are too similar. So, with [name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Greer[/name], and [name]Lorcan[/name], I’d pair [name]Knox[/name], [name]Ross[/name], or [name]Keefe[/name], myself!

Good luck!

Thanks - great list! It’s so strange, I was just thinking about [name]Flynn[/name]. Not what you would choose, I know, but do you think it ‘works’?

[name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Flynn[/name], [name]Elspeth[/name] and [name]Greer[/name]

I’m thinking [name]Flynn[/name] is much less common than [name]Finn[/name]/[name]Finlay[/name]/[name]Finley[/name] etc?
It certainly is where I live. :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], Kath!

Yes, I certainly think that [name]Flynn[/name] is unexpected when [name]Finn[/name] (and its longer forms) are becoming much more popular! I think the name has the same light and airy quality of [name]Finn[/name], too.

I definitely think [name]Flynn[/name] could work in your sibling set, for sure! My only issue with it is that, for me, it sounds slightly similar to [name]Lorcan[/name]. I pronounce [name]Lorcan[/name] as LOR-kin more than LOR-can, so the names sound rather similar. You know? Personally, I’d choose [name]Knox[/name], as it has the same strength and handsome quality that [name]Lorcan[/name] has, whereas [name]Flynn[/name] feels comparably lighter. [name]Both[/name] are great names, though!

Take care!

PS Have you thought of using [name]Finley[/name] as a middle name? I don’t know what your surname is, but it might work, right?

[name]Lemon[/name], you are totally right, if I went for [name]Flynn[/name] I would just be settling - I really [name]DO[/name] want something that has the strength of [name]Lorcan[/name], and [name]Flynn[/name] does not! Names that have almost been right: [name]Finn[/name], [name]Quinn[/name], [name]Flynn[/name], [name]Finlay[/name], [name]Brady[/name], [name]Darby[/name], [name]Boyd[/name]. But none of them has truly been right. I’m so frustrated! Is theer no boys name out there that sits right with [name]Lorcan[/name]? When my lil man has a brother, I want to love his name as much as I love [name]Lorcan[/name]'s! x

Kath,

Did you like [name]Finnian[/name]/[name]Phinean[/name] or [name]Finbar[/name]?