How do you come up with your character's birthday?

I have a question, how do you come up with a birthday for your own character based on their character and personality because i’ve trying to come up with one for my characters?

While I don’t necessarily think birthdays are super important to a character, it might help to think about the birthday parties they might have had as a kid (was it at the water park? movies? what season is it suited for?) or look into astrology if you’re into that. You could also use the birthday of a friend or family member so it is easier to remember.

1 Like

I know some of my characters’ birthdays. I enjoy astrology and one of my good friends is very into that sort of thing (as in, very knowledgeable about how each of the signs interact with one another as sun, moon, rising, etc signs). Sometimes, if I’m curious, I’ll take the MBTI for my characters and she’ll get a text that’s like “What’s the sign of an INTJ Ravenclaw?” and she’ll respond like “Oh, that’s a Capricorn.” so I’ll look at birthdays in that sign and see what feels right.

I don’t know if it’s necessary to know birthdays though. The only characters whose birthdays I know are the ones whose birthdays come up in the plot of the book. I do know all of my main characters’ signs though. Some of them, I have more in-depth charts for too.

2 Likes

I use some family members’ and friends’ birthdays.

welp It’s almost my birthday but I literally never thought about this!!!

Wow, you just helped me improve my writing phenomenally!

Honestly? I just do a random date generator and unless their birthday is a significant piece of the plot, and if that’s the case I change it. However it holds little significance to my stories (thus far anyway).

This is such an interesting question! I’ve never actually listed a character’s birthday. However, if I were going to, I’d probably use my lucky number for the month and a multiple of it for the day, unless it were essential to the plot of the story. Or, if the character was cheerful and happy, I’d probably put it in [name_u]June[/name_u] or [name_u]July[/name_u], and if there character was mean and grumpy, maybe [name_u]January[/name_u] or [name_f]February[/name_f].

To me, birthdays don’t really matter in my books.