How do you decide which name "Works best"?

I have two DDs - [name]Claire[/name] [name]Elise[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Elinor[/name]. Last name starts with a J and is 2 syllables.

DH and I have narrowed down to two names for each gender, and I have a backup to the backups just in case. We had a VERY hard time deciding this time, especially on the girl name since we already chose two. My problem is, I like most of them equally and can’t decide which one works best!

For a girl, our options are:

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] (my fave from our short list in agreement with DH, he picked the MN)
[name]Grace[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] (DH’s fave girl name, I picked the MN)

MY backup names for a girl are (not agreed on by DH):
[name]Evelyn[/name] [name]Grace[/name] or [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Olivia[/name] (not sure about a good MN for [name]Juliet[/name], but DH doesn’t like the alliteration with our last name).

For a boy, we are down to:

[name]William[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] (Our boy name since we were PG the first time, MN is a family name)
[name]Luke[/name] [name]William[/name]

MY backup name for a boy (again, not agreed on by DH):
[name]Henry[/name] [name]William[/name] (or [name]Frederick[/name])

What do you think of my list?

[name]How[/name] do you decide which name “works best”?

I’ve heard of people waiting until their child was born to decide on the name. One couple I know who did this said they knew instantly which of the three names they brought to the hospital fit their son. All they needed was to see him before they knew. But I’ve also heard of it going the other way- people wait to see their child, but still have no idea! So I think it’s a good option if you’re a creative, instinctive type person who would definitely be able to pick once you meet your child, but if you don’t think that’ll help it may not be a good idea.
You might also be able to choose based on your sibset. I love all of the names on your list and think they all go well with what you have, but you may want to think of possible future children, if that makes sense. [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] are both very classic names and a little French, so [name]Juliet[/name] would take it more into French territory for me and [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] would take it more into classic territory. You could argue that [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are both, but I get more of a French vibe from [name]Juliet[/name] and classic from [name]Charlotte[/name].
For some reason I don’t see [name]Evelyn[/name] fitting in with [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]. It’s not, I don’t know, enough vowels? Maybe that doesn’t make sense. But it just sounds odd to me.
I think [name]Luke[/name] takes [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name] into a more trendy-type feel, but [name]William[/name] gives it more of a classic image, so I’d go with that, [name]Henry[/name] as a second choice.
[name]Hope[/name] that helps, sorry it was long!

I see what you mean about the “feel” of the name. I remember when we were picking [name]Sophie[/name]'s name I was also considering the Irish name “[name]Maura[/name]” which is a family name on DH’s side, but I felt that would be going too Irish when our kids are only 1/8 Irish at the most!
I loved the fact that [name]Sophie[/name] was both French and [name]German[/name], which is my background, but also felt classic.

Also as a follow-up, how does [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name] sound? I thought the repeating “eh” sound was a bit much. Still not sure if I can convince DH, but I SO love that name!!

[name]Steph[/name]

I love [name]Charlotte[/name] and I also really like [name]Grace[/name]! I think they both fit nicely with [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name], so my compromise would be [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Grace[/name], which would combine both your favorite and your husband’s favorite fn’s. WDYT?

For a boy, I really like [name]Luke[/name] [name]William[/name] with [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name].