How do you feel about Bruce?

Let’s talk about [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]… [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like it? What sort of vibe does it give you?

Bruce is one of the newest additions to my boys shortlist. I actually didn’t used to like it at all, I thought it was too brute-ish sounding, but recently I’ve done a complete 180 and now I love it!

I’ve been rewatching the [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] movies with my mum (I’ve seen them a bunch of times before, she has never seen them) and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Banner[/name_m] brought [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] back to my attention, and takes a lot of the credit for changing the way I feel about the name. It actually feels kinda grandpa-chic, like [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] or [name_m]Albert[/name_m], and the sound is appealing to me. It’s a single syllable, not frilly, easy to spell… All good things, in my book.

What do you think? All (respectful) opinions pls!

1 Like

I’ve really tried to get behind it, but I’m really just not a fan of the sound. Sorry!

2 Likes

I think it’s a bit hard sounding. It is not my taste if I am honest I find it hard to picture on a baby too.

I like [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]! It reminds me of [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Banner[/name_m], [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] from [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m], and [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Wayne[/name_m]. I think it’s exactly how you described, a grandpa name but in a sweet, cuddly kind of way. While it doesn’t need a nickname, I think [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is cute!

1 Like

I immediately think “[name_m]Wayne[/name_m]” but that’s not necessarily a bad thing?

I love [name_u]Rue[/name_u]! [name_m]How[/name_m] sweet :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Oh [name_u]Rue[/name_u] as a nickname is super adorable.

1 Like

It’s not for me I’m afraid. When I was in primary school [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] was one of the joke names (like [name_m]Bob[/name_m], [name_m]Fred[/name_m] etc) so I don’t think it’s something I’ll ever like.

It sounds a bit harsh to me. Plus I always think of the shark from [name_m]Nemo[/name_m].

I’d probably only use it as a middle name. I do think it is very sweet on a baby but I’m struggling to see it on a teenager/someone in their twenties.

I’ve always thought it was a strange name, and definately not my style but would love to meet a little boy with the name as it’s something different!

To me it sounds very dated, sorry. I always picture a [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] to be around [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m]’s age. Though I did see recently that the actress [name_f]Krysten[/name_f] [name_m]Ritter[/name_m] named her son [name_m]Bruce[/name_m], so maybe it’s making a comeback?

All I can think about is [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Wayne[/name_m]/Batman - and as someone who likes Batman I think it’s pretty cool - nice sound too.

I confess I’m not a huge fan. It just feels harsh and brutish to me, sorry

It was really popular in [name_u]Sweden[/name_u] a few years ago, fyi. I think it’s cute as hell. To me it doesn’t sound brutish. It sounds soothing, like a river flowing or wind blowing. [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] sounds like the Swedish word for brus, which roughly translates to white noise or a purr. Plus Springsteen, man. It’s a good name.

4 Likes

I used to think [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] was a ‘old man’ name, but then I met this goregous little boy named [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and it changed my heart. It has a vintage almost British feel to it and I put it in the category with [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_u]Alfie[/name_u] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]

2 Likes

I actually don’t see the harshness that other people are describing, to me it has a nice soft sound. It’s a little dated, but it has tons of positive associations like [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] Springsteen or Batman! It feels very similar to [name_m]Russell[/name_m]/Russ to me in terms of both sound/feel and its general heyday (I really love [name_m]Russell[/name_m] myself, but [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] is nice too.)

1 Like

I know 2 young [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]’s. It’s not a name I would use but I like it on other people! I think it’s wearable. The one [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] I know goes by [name_m]Bear[/name_m] the other is exclusively [name_m]Bruce[/name_m]

1 Like

It just doesn’t have a very appealing look or sound to me, sorry. I have a grandad called [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] and I can never imagine it on anyone below mid-40s.

Full disclosure: I’m quite biased!

Our [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Abel[/name_m] is 28 months, and I can’t imagine him by any other name. We call him Roo quite often, though it wasn’t a nickname we originally considered. It is quite an old fashioned name, and not one that has come back around in retro-popularity like [name_m]Alfred[/name_m] or [name_m]Rupert[/name_m], but I don’t think anyone who’s met our curly, blonde-haired little boy will walk away thinking [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] is harsh, brutish, or stuffy sounding!

I love that I’m seeing this name come around more, and I hope it continues to make a comeback. I think that the year that [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] was born, there were 7 others in Australia.

2 Likes