How do you feel about different syllabled siblings?

For example, 2 sisters named [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (four versus one syllable). [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f].
I’m not talking about 2 siblings where one has 3 syllables and one has 2. More drastic, like 4 and 1 or even 5 and 1.

Thoughts? Too mismatched?

1 Like

I love it!

I typically find it mismatched, yes. There’s a few exceptions where it doesn’t feel so jarring to me ([name_f]Eliana[/name_f] & [name_f]Grace[/name_f] from your example seems perfectly fine to me), but most of the time I prefer them to have similar lengths.

I don’t mind it at all! :blush:

In most cases, I think it’s fine.

I don’t think it matters at all. Two names I love together for siblings are [name_f]Edie[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]. I think it just depends on the names really.

For me it’s often more about letter count actually - like I love names like [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_u]June[/name_u] and [name_f]Edie[/name_f] together because they all have four letters. At the same time though, I think all of these names would be gorgeous with, for example, [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Amelie[/name_f].

Not at all. I like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] but I also like [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f].
I’m not interested in syllable count, just that I like them.

Not for me. I love siblings who match or have a theme as long as it’s not too obvious. Both my boys names have 13 letters. And I would find a third name that had 13 letters too. (As in first and middle name)
I have a z and an a name. So my A-Z

I think overall length matters more than syllables. For example, [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] & [name_f]Grace[/name_f] work because there’s only 1 extra letter, but [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] & [name_f]Jane[/name_f] don’t because there are 5 extra letters (and they’re also very stylistically different).

I think it would be great! Kind of like you knew from the start that your kids would be (very) different from one another and you want to give them the freedom to be themselves.

To be honest I couldn’t care less. I find it much more important that they have a similar feel to it, or style.

1 Like

I agree - the number of syllables doesn’t matter to me at all. Sibling names feel mismatched to me only if they are completely different styles. (I don’t know, like if one is called [name_f]Athena[/name_f] and the other [name_f]Mary[/name_f].)

2 Likes

I don’t see a problem with it! The only issue I could see would be if theyhad a difference in vibe.
e.g. [name_f]Eliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are perfectly fine, because they have similar energies, but [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]’s length gives it so much flourish, whilst [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is very sweet but completely different in style.
I would definitely consider naming two daughters [name_f]Artemisia[/name_f] and [name_u]Blue[/name_u]!

It doesn’t bother me, although name length visually does. I struggle to have sibsets with uneven numbers of letters. E.g. they all hve to be different or all have to have the same no. It’s quite frustrating!

It doesn’t bother me, though [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f] feels like the parents gave up on [name_f]Jane[/name_f]’s name. [name_f]Elliana[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] isn’t bad, though.

I don’t care too much about the number of syllables. I prefer sibling names to have similar lengths and styles.

Eliana and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are fine to me because they are about the same length on paper.
With [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f] and [name_f]Jane[/name_f], one is a lot longer than the other.

For me, the style or feel of the names matters for than the syllable count. For example, [name_f]Chrysanthemum[/name_f] and [name_u]Rain[/name_u] are both nature names, so they don’t sound odd together to me despite the difference in syllable count. If you put a name like [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] which is very elegant and feminine with [name_u]Jo[/name_u], that might seem a bit odd to me because they’re so different stylistically. But ultimately, what really matters is if you love the names.

I think it’s fine. [name_f]My[/name_f] siblings and I are: 1, 2, 3 & 2.