How do you picture an Alfie? A Freddie?

We have narrowed down our choices to [name]Alfred[/name] ([name]Alfie[/name]) and [name]Frederick[/name] ([name]Freddie[/name]) for our second, a brother for [name]Jude[/name]. We are still working on our girl choices. [name]How[/name] do you picture an [name]Alfie[/name] or a [name]Freddie[/name]? Please be honest! I have never met anyone with these names so it’s hard for me to picture a child having them. I do love them both though!

Thank you berries!

Honestly? I picture [name]Alfie[/name] as a skinny street urchin with an unintelligible Cockney accent who wants to pick my pocket. I just don’t get the appeal. [name]Freddie[/name] has a bit of the same feeling, but I can also more easily picture a modern [name]Freddie[/name], and [name]Fred[/name] is viable for an actual grown-up man. Especially as a brother for the all-around great and versatile [name]Jude[/name], I think [name]Freddie[/name] is the better alternative.

I picture both [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] as sweet, soft-spoken boys. I think [name]Freddie[/name] can grow with a child better than [name]Alfie[/name] can. As a pp pointed out, [name]Fred[/name] sounds grown-up, but I can also picture a successful, middle-aged businessman named [name]Freddy[/name]. [name]Alfie[/name], however, is stuck in childhood for me. On kids, though, both names would be adorable and energetic!

[name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Frederick[/name] are two old classics - the first is Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] and second is [name]German[/name]. I like both names so it’s hard to choose between them. [name]Alfie[/name] is instantly associated with the old [name]Michael[/name] [name]Caine[/name] film of the same name - he played a charming and debonair Cockney womanizer. There is also director [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Hitchcock[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Lord[/name] [name]Tennyson[/name]. [name]Frederick[/name] has alot of royal association - for example, [name]Frederick[/name] the Great. I’ve always felt that [name]Frederick[/name] is more aristocratic and upper class than [name]Alfred[/name] for some reason. [name]Alfred[/name] has more of a rough, earthy and working class image in my mind. I always make the suggestion to prospective parents to have a few names in mind until the baby arrives and then decide what name best suits the child. Perhaps you should keep both available until the arrival. You may choose one but the baby may look like the other. Does that make sense?