How do you pronounce Aya?

• eye-ya
  • a-ya

0 voters

Due at the end of the month with a baby girl and we’re narrowing down our list. [name_f]Aya[/name_f]’s one our of top contenders and I’ve always pronounced it eye-ah but recently I heard someone pronounce it as a-ya, so now I’m curious as to which pronunciation most people would automatically use.

TIA!

At first glance I thought A-ya, but I’d easily remember Eye-a if introduced that way

1 Like

Anything -aya is eye-uh to me.

I naturally say eye-uh, but I definitely wouldn’t be surprised to hear people say ay-uh quite frequently.

I’d automatically go with A-yuh but eye-uh wouldn’t surprise me

Eye-uh!

in my head I say a-ya, but I could easily be corrected to eye-ya!

:eye: a. It’s a lovely name!

I went to school with a girl named [name_f]Ayah[/name_f]. It was pronounced eye-ah though she often got a-yah.

I would assume eye-uh. A-uh seems incorrect, but I don’t know if it is.

Either eye-a or ay-a (ay as in hey or day)

It’s weird. If it’s in a name like [name_f]Maya[/name_f] or [name_u]Kaya[/name_u] it would be M-eye-a or K-eye-a.

But as a standalone name at first glance I say A-ya (Ay-ya). [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] like the OutKast song.

I know an [name_f]Aya[/name_f] (short for Ayamila) and its pronounced eye-uh. I immediately read eye-uh because ay-uh just sounds so awkward, but I can see that people might mispronounce it. I think it’s pretty easily correctable, though.

I pronounce it a-ya :slight_smile:
Though, I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody were to pronounce it eye-ya

I immediately think to pronounce it AY-a. This is purely due to a friend having a daughter whose nickname is spelled [name_f]Aya[/name_f] and pronounced this way.

Okay so it looks like most people automatically pronounce it eye-ya. So if we end up going with [name_f]Aya[/name_f], it’s good to know I won’t have to correct people on the pronunciation the majority of the time. Thanks, everyone!

1 Like