How do you pronounce Bea?

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you pronounce [name_f]Bea[/name_f]?

• Bee
  • Bee-ah

0 voters

Where are you from? (Optional question!)

• I’m British
  • I’m American
  • I’m from somewhere else

0 voters

I would instinctively say ‘bee’ (I’m British) but would not be surprised if i were corrected. xx

Bea ‘bee-ah’ feels like it needs a h on the end like [name_f]Leah[/name_f].

4 Likes

I’m Australian and I say ‘bee’.

2 Likes

I made this same poll about two years ago and the split was exactly the same. 75% [name_f]Bee[/name_f], 25% [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-ah. At the time I had no idea that most people pronounced it “[name_f]Bee[/name_f]”! At the end of the day, I think both pronunciations are fairly intuitive, so even if someone gets it wrong at first, I think they’d adapt to your preferred pronunciation easily.

1 Like

When I saw [name_f]Bea[/name_f] for the first time, I thought it was pronounced bee-ah. But everytime I’ve heard [name_f]Bea[/name_f] spoken, it’s been pronounced bee, so that’s how I read it and pronounce it now. Although I would consider both pronunciations as correct and it wouldn’t be hard to change to the preferred pronunciation after being corrected

1 Like

I’ve only ever known of [name_f]Bea[/name_f] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] from the [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Girls and she pronounced it ‘bee’. It’s also how I’d pronounce the beginning of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] for example.

3 Likes

I’m American and selected [name_f]Bee[/name_f] in the poll, because that’s probably closer to how I pronounce it, but I’m going to try to clarify further which will likely result in me making no sense.

I pronounce bee as in bumblebee about how anyone would expect

I pronounce be as in to be without holding the “ee” sound as long as I would for bee

I pronounce [name_f]Bea[/name_f] like be rather than bee if that makes any sense?!

2 Likes

I say “bee” but I’d honestly prefer “bee-uh”.

I pronounce it three different ways:

1. BEH-UH
  2. BEE
  3. BEE-UH

1 is how I pronounce it in spanish. I say 2 and 3 depending on what I prefer at that moment

1 Like

I thought it was [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh when I first saw it, but [name_f]Bea[/name_f] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] said it “bee”, so that’s probably a go to for a lot of people.

2 Likes

I would definitely say bee, but I wouldn’t be surprised if I was told it was [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh. I see where bee-uh comes from but I wouldn’t expect to hear it.

1 Like

I was reading a novel yesterday that featured a [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]” and I spent way too much time considering how to pronounce it. I’ve never heard a definitive pronunciation of the name and that bothers me, despite its cuteness.

1 Like

My sentiments exactly. I’ve never heard anyone say [name_f]Bee[/name_f]-ah for [name_f]Bea[/name_f], but I wouldn’t be surprised I guess.

2 Likes

Wow, I thought it was bee-ah all this time :joy:

1 Like

I say ‘bee’! I can see how it could be interpreted as ‘bee-uh’ though as that’s how the start of [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] & [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] are pronounced.

I personally prefer the ‘bee’ pronunciation as ‘bee-uh’ just makes me think of beer.

2 Likes

I pronounce it as [name_f]Bee[/name_f] primarily because my middle name is [name_f]Lea[/name_f] pronounced [name_u]Lee[/name_u]. I will occasionally have it mispronounced, but only since [name_f]Lea[/name_f] [name_u]Michele[/name_u] became a household name.

2 Likes

[quote=“[name_f]Gia[/name_f].berry, post:19, topic:346864”]
‘bee-uh’ just makes me think of beer
[/quote]

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts exactly!

1 Like

Both ways, as well as bay-uh.

1 Like

I’ve only ever heard it pronounced bee, so that’s how I say it! Until this post, I didn’t even realize other people pronounced it as ‘be-uh’ or ‘bay-uh.’
I could easily be corrected though if I met someone who pronounced it differently.

(I’m in the northeast US, if that helps!)

1 Like

I pronounce it [name_u]Bay[/name_u]-uh

1 Like