How do you pronounce Cassius? (+ where are you?)

How do you pronounce Cassius, and where are you?
  • Cass-ee-us (inside US)
  • Cash-us (inside US)
  • Cass-ee-us (outside US)
  • Cash-us (outside US)
  • Other (see comment)

0 voters

I’ve loved Cassius for about 20 years now and it would be our son’s first name if pronunciation weren’t so divisive. My name is Kara, pronounced care-uh, and I get car-uh way too often… so I made a commitment to give my kids names that have one standard pronunciation (with the exception of accents and the like).

DH and I both want the cass-ee-us pronunciation and we are in the US. I think more people are inclined to say cash-us here and he is more on the fence. So I thought, let’s do a little poll! How do you pronounce it, and where are you located?

Cass-ee-us (outside the US)

cass-ee-is (inside of us)

2 Likes

Cass-ee-us (inside US)

cass-ee-us, I’m from the northeast US if that helps!

I have heard the cash-us pronunciation before (in reference to [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] Clay), but I don’t think you’ll always get that! I think he would get ‘cash-us’ far less than you get ‘car-uh’ because [name_f]Kara[/name_f] feels a lot more familiar I think! A lot of people know a Kara/Cara, which means they already have a pronunciation in mind. Where as with [name_m]Cassius[/name_m], it’s not as common, so they’re less likely to!

1 Like

Seconding this! I’m from the US and say cass-ee-us; I would only use the cash-us pronunciation to pronounce Cassius Clay.

1 Like

I have always pronounced it Cass-ee-us, and was shocked when I heard someone pronounce it as Cash-us. I’m outside of the US.
[name_u]An[/name_u] AMAZING name, I always get excited when I hear it!!!
Xx

In my head I read it as Cass-ee-us, but out loud I would probably say Cash-us. Maybe that’s because of [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] [name_m]Clay[/name_m], maybe that’s just something from my region! I’m from the Southeastern United States.

1 Like

Always cass-ee-us for me and I’m in the US! [name_u]Southern[/name_u] US if that helps. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] by the way, a real gem

Cash-us because I know a mom with a son and that’s how she calls his name. [name_u]Southern[/name_u] USA.

i have had an on-off relationship with the name cassius. i do love it but i have a bad association (a person i actually knew) and a positive association (someone i admire, but never met). the cassius i knew personally pronounced his name cass-ee-us (which i find is most common in the uk - which is where i am from) but i much prefer the cash-us pronunciation (which i find much more common in the us). i usually pronounce it cash-us as i prefer the pronunciation overall but also because it is the pronunciation the positive association of cassius used.

i really hope this makes sense :joy:

i think if you wanted to use the cass-ee-us pronunciation, it doesn’t matter where you are from or located, because if you introduce your child as cass-ee-us people will just follow your pronunciation! i have found that with my daughter lucia - we pronounce it lou-see-a rather than lou-sha (like the island) and people just follow our pronouiation now (even though she now almost always goes as lucy/lucie)

1 Like