How do you pronounce Emily

See the results of this poll: emily

Respondents: 48 (This poll is closed)

• “eh-mily” : 40 (83%)
  • “ih-mily” like the i sound in jim: 8 (17%)

I say [name]EM[/name]-ih-lee. Maybe the IH-mih-lee sound is more common in the South? I’ve never even heard it before.

ashthedreamer, yes it is. My name is [name]Emily[/name] and I’m from [name]Georgia[/name], we all say it like ih-milly. The northern pronunciation sounds really weird to me as I’ve only heard it once or twice, it’s like Ahmily almost.

I say it ih-milly, had no idea it was also eh-milly. my husband and i argue about this like 4 times a day and we were tonight so i made a poll. technically i think it is eh-milly, but i feel like it sounds soooo weird. he also says that i say wendy wrong because i pronounce it windy. i also pronounce gem and jim the same.

I’ve never heard [name]Emily[/name] pronounced any way except eh-muh-lee. [name]Gem[/name] and [name]Jim[/name] are pronounced completely differently. [name]Wendy[/name] is wren-dee, not like windy. I grew up in South [name]Jersey[/name] though the only [name]Emily[/name] I’ve ever known has been in northern [name]California[/name].

In Australia we would only ever pronounce it eh-milly :slight_smile:

I pronounce it Eh-[name]Milly[/name]! My little sister is called [name]Emily[/name]:slight_smile:

Only ever heard it pronounced Eh-muh-lee in New Zealand, and [name]Wendy[/name] is When-dee, also, [name]Gem[/name] and [name]Jim[/name] are completely different. The vowel sounds are nothing alike

Mhmm, never even thought there could be another pronunciation :slight_smile:

i’m assuming it is a southern thing then, don’t take offense. i didn’t know it was ehmily. the only emilys i know go by ihmily, but we’re from north carolina.

Also so if someone had the nickname [name]Em[/name], you would pronounce it Ehm. We would say like [name]Jim[/name] without the J. We all pronounce [name]Jimmy[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] the same.

He also pointed out that when saying [name]Montgomery[/name], the last name of a friend, we say Munt gomery.

We also say when and win the same…It’s a very subtle difference though I think.

I say imily. [name]Gem[/name] and [name]Jim[/name] are the exact same to me too. as are pin and pen.

I’m an [name]Emily[/name] from the South and I’ve never had anyone say ih-milly. Must be [name]North[/name] [name]Carolina[/name]!

[name]Jim[/name] and [name]Gem[/name] are two completely different vowel sounds to me. I say [name]Emily[/name] Eh-muh-lee, or in your poll, the top one is closest to how I say it. I do know an American (Californian) who says [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] the same, when to me they’re completely different (huh-ree vs mair-ee, short vowel vs long vowel) so I think the whole vowel pronunciation is regional.

To me you seem like you are saying you pronounce [name]Harry[/name] like hurry…I say [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] the same too haha…

and no it isn’t just north carolina, it is a large part of the south with certain areas excluded from the tendency to merge the vowel sounds. most of the south is included, excluding new orleans, savannah, and florida apparently.

I never even knew ih-milly was a real thing! It seems really hard for me to say, like I have to work hard to say it. If I’m saying [name]Jim[/name] fast it come out as [name]Gem[/name], but normally it’s Jihm rather than Jehm. [name]Harry[/name] and [name]Mary[/name] are the same to me, excluding the M & the H of course. Pin and [name]Pen[/name] are completely different to me! I say Munt gomery too, but [name]Jimmy[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] are completely different! To me [name]Jimmy[/name] is Jih-mee and [name]Emmy[/name] is Ehm-ee. [name]Wendy[/name] is wehn-dee. I’m from Nebraska, and I think I read somewhere that the Midwest speaks the most mixed prn, like it’s an average of what everyone else speaks. I’m not sure though, it might of just been some egotistical blogger from here- I don’t really remember.

Definitely em-ill-ee. im-ill-ee sounds really odd to me.

[name]Jim[/name] and [name]Gem[/name] are different. [name]Gem[/name] has the same “eh” sound as [name]Emily[/name].

[name]Wendy[/name] is like when-dee.

Did I miss anything? :slight_smile:

The more I think about it the more names I think of that I am, and people with this dialect, are saying wrong. [name]Jennifer[/name] to me has the same sound as [name]Gin[/name], is that wrong?

I say [name]Belinda[/name] “Buh-linda”
[name]Wren[/name] does not have an “eh” sound for me. Basically, if an e is followed by an m or n I say it the same as if an I was there. I do pronounce things like, [name]Ellery[/name] with and eh sound though. Or Estate.