How do you pronounce Esme

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce Esme?

Respondents: 43 (This poll is closed)

• EZ-me : 15 (35%)
  • ES-mae: 28 (65%)

I’ve only heard it pronounced EZ-may.

I am french. I pronounce it like this Esmé pronunciation: How to pronounce Esmé in French

Same here!

I’ve only heard it with a z sound too. My only hesitation is which syllable to emphasize. I lean towards EZ-may but sometimes think it might be ez-[name_f]MAY[/name_f]

I pronunce it EZ-mee, and I know someone who spells and says it that way. I would say Esmé, Esmée, or [name_f]Esmae[/name_f] would be EZ-may.

Up until a few days ago, I thought it was ES-[name_f]May[/name_f]. Then I learned the “correct” pronunciation is Ez-may. But now it seems it might also be Ez-mee. I’m confused! And I accidently voted for Ez-mee but I guess ES-Mae is closer to Ez-Mae:-)

I force myself to say ez-may/es-may, but my natural inclination is ez-mee, and I absolutely love it that way. But I hate the idea of giving my child a name that’s pronounced “wrong” (especially since I love so many things [name_m]French[/name_m]!), so I’ve stayed away in the past. I think [name_f]Esme/name_f pronounced like ez-mee is darling, though, and wish it really were a name!

I voted wrong, I think, because I’d say it as a combination of those: EZ-mae

Oh, shoot, me too. I didn’t notice that. I also vote for EZ-may

Ez-may. But I chose Es-mae on the poll since it was the closest. There was a little girl on tlc with that name and they said ez-me. I think both pronunciations are pretty commonly used.

EZ-mae - I voted for EZ-me by mistake, too!

I’d say EZ-may

I’m so happy to find somebody who knows how to say [name_f]Esme[/name_f] correctly :slight_smile:

Esmée is a french name, pronounced as S-mae, and not Ez-mae (S is only pronounced Z between two vowels in french, like in [name_f]Cerise[/name_f]).

Ez-me is definitely a wrong pronunciation.