How do you pronounce Isobel?

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce Isobel?

Respondents: 47 (This poll is closed)

• iz-ə-bel : 18 (37%)
  • iz-o-bel: 31 (63%)

I don’t think it really matters personally. I pronounce it with a slight o sound to differentiate it, which I don’t think is technically correct, but so many people do and it’s such a slight change that I don’t consider it a different pronounciation.

Thank you much.

For me, the iz-ə-bel sounds is Isabel.

I’ve only heard it pronounced the same as [name_f]Isabel[/name_f].

Thank you much, undertherainbow and lumen.

I’ve been asking around here also. It seems that the majority of people think it is pronounced with an O sound. I adore both spellings, [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabel[/name_f], [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] adding a bonus honor by being Scottish. I think I would rather forfeit the bonus honor, especially when the honor would be for me, than to have pronunciation issues. It might just be best to go with [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] still honors my late sister, the main loved one I am honoring.

I pronounce it it “Iz-o-bel”, mainly because I love the idea of using [name_f]Zoe[/name_f] as a nickname for it. However, if I did ever use it, I don’t think I would mind people pronouncing it more like [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] because it’s such a slight difference to my ear. If you do think it would bother you, then going with the unambiguous [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] would probably be better.

I pronounce it is-oh-bel, but [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] is is-uh-bel.

I agree with @mega_muffin though that I wouldn’t mind if it was spelled [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] and people pronounced it is-uh-bel, since they’re so similar you can tell what the name is and that they’re talking to you. I have a number of friends whose names are often pronounced slightly differently than they pronounce it themselves, either because there are multiple pronunciations of the name or the spelling indicates a pronunciation different from what they use- they’ve never minded.

I always pronounce it with clear o sound and never know it can be pronounced any other way. iz-ə-bel is [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] to me.

I love emphasizing the O but I think either pronunciation is appropriate.

Thank you all so much. Your comments and votes have really helped.