How do you pronounce Leah?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you pronounce it like [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ah or [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah?

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah

Everyone I have ever known who spells it this way pronounces it this way as well.

I say [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh. Eastern US.

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh.
[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh for me would be spelt [name_f]Leia[/name_f].

I love [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ah, but all the Leahs that I know use [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah. Maybe [name_f]Laia[/name_f] could work.

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh …

[name_f]Leah[/name_f] is [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh. [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh is [name_f]Leia[/name_f]/[name_f]Laya[/name_f], [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I pronounce it lee-uh.

The only exception I can think of is a girl I went to school with who had the middle name [name_f]Leah[/name_f], but they pronounced it ‘[name_u]Lee[/name_u]’. A little bit strange, but it was also her mum’s middle name.

I agree with @musicwaves,

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah

Everyone I know uses this pronunciation too. I think that [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh would be spelt [name_f]Leia[/name_f], [name_f]Laia[/name_f] or [name_f]Laya[/name_f].

Thank you all for your responses. [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ah is the original Hebrew pronunciation and also in Spanish but it looks like [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah is the more common pronunciation especially in English-speaking countries.

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah. I think unless there’s an accent over the e it will always be pronounced this way.

[name_f]Leia[/name_f], [name_f]Leya[/name_f] or [name_f]Laya[/name_f] I’d pronounce the other way

Neither. More like LEH-[name_m]AH[/name_m]
(Scandinavia)

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah (UK). [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ah would be spelt [name_f]Leia[/name_f] or [name_f]Laia[/name_f] to my mind, although [name_f]Laia[/name_f] looks like it would rhyme with [name_f]Maia[/name_f] or, unfortunately, liar.

Definitely [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh, echoing everybody else. If you want the lay-uh pronounciation you could also consider [name_f]Lea[/name_f] without the h, I’ve known two people with that name who pronounced it lay-uh. It also seems more Spanish/Italian that way if that’s what you’re going for.

I first think “[name_u]LEE[/name_u]-uh” but I have known one “[name_m]LAY[/name_m]-uh.”

[name_f]Leah[/name_f]=[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah.

[name_m]Lay[/name_m]-ah is usually spelt [name_f]Leia[/name_f].

You might be able to get away with [name_f]Lea[/name_f] being [name_m]Lay[/name_m]-uh but not [name_f]Leah[/name_f]. It’s biblical so it has a pretty set pronunciation

This is my name. I pronounce it [name_m]LAY[/name_m]-uh. We’re Jewish; this is the correct Hebrew pronunciation. However, most of the Leahs I’ve met pronounce it [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-uh.

[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-uh, although I am certain the Hebrew way is lay-uh. I’d go with [name_f]Leia[/name_f], but I do know a girl called this who pronounces it lee-uh. Guess you can’t win either way, lol.