How do you pronounce Mariella?

I pronounce it Mah-ree-ella, where [name_f]Mar[/name_f] rhymes with car.
My mom, who is super opinionated on names, said it should be pronounced [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] or I should go with a different name, because every one will instinctively pronounce it that way and a [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] would be correcting everyone her whole life.
I tend to disagree though.
So how would you pronounce [name_f]Mariella[/name_f]? [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f], or Mah-ree-ella.

I have a friend named [name_f]Mariella[/name_f]. It’s pronounced Mahr-yella. Soft transition between [name_f]Mar[/name_f]- and -iella. Her nickname is Yella.
It probably won’t be an issue for her if you decide to go with [name_f]Mariella[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

I would pronounce it [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-ella because my name is [name_f]Marielle[/name_f] and I say [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-elle. If you want Mah-ree-ella, just correct people if they say it the other way. I’ve had to correct people, and its really not a big deal at all.

I think it can be pronounced as Mah-ree-ella or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-ella. Instinctively, I say [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-ella.

I say ma-ree-ella, with a short ‘ah’ sound, not like car.

I only know one, a toddler who goes by [name_f]Lulu[/name_f], which makes no sense to me haha. It’s a pretty name.

[name_f]Mariella[/name_f] is lovely! I grew up with a [name_f]Mariela[/name_f], which, in her family, was said the Spanish way (I’m terrible at writing out pronunciations in other languages, so I won’t even try!), but the super white people in our school and church and such would pronounce her name [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] (and I know her name was spelled [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ellen[/name_f] by school and church teachers and such over the years!). But she responded to both, and her nn was [name_f]Mari[/name_f] (MAH-ree, sometimes even pronounced like MAH-dee, because of the rolled “R”…). I think [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] with the softer “ah” sound is lovely, but I think here in [name_u]America[/name_u], at least, it might be hard to enforce. I don’t think it’s not worth trying, though–I think MAH-ree-ella is much more lovely than [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] (although I think [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] is a sweet double barrel), and I like that it reminds me of the [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_m]Nash[/name_m] song.

I pronounce [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] the same as you, but I can see some pronouncing it [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] looks so much better than [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f] (not particularly a fan of double barreled first names), so you should go with it.

I’d say ‘marry-ella’. Short ‘a’ like cat.

I say [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f], but I don’t think it will be too much of an issue. Correct people and move on. :slight_smile: But if that’s not appealing to you, I might look for a different name.

I would pronounce it Mah-ree-ella (emphasizing the first syllable of -ella).

It’s mahr-YELL-ah for me that’s the only way I’ve heard it pronounced.

I say [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f]

I say [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Ella[/name_f]

I pronounce it like you do, but I’m prone to pronounce names the [name_m]French[/name_m] way (usually prettier). Your mom might be right about having to correct a lot of people–at least in [name_u]America[/name_u].

ditto…

I say MAH-ree-[name_f]EL[/name_f]-la. The beginning doesn’t quite rhyme with ‘car,’ but it’s close. I can see a lot of people saying [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-ella, but honestly, I think they are very similar, and depending on your accent, you might not be able to tell difference. I think it’s a lovely name, and I find that most people are pretty good about at least attempting to pronounce names the way you ask, even if they can’t really pull it off.