How do you pronounce Ragnar?

I’m just curious how people pronounce [name]Ragnar[/name].

Pretty much how it’s spelled, and more like Ragner when talking quickly. I could deal with something strange going on with the g, though, like [name]Ran[/name]-yar or something, if I was corrected to that. I can imagine the first syl should probably be more Rahg then rag like a dishrag, but even knowing that, and speaking languages where that’s the normal prn, my English-dominant brain would kind of want to default to rag…

Oh PS I’ll add that I love the name : D. Bolder than what I’d personally use but I’d love to meet one!

Thanks! I have been saying it rag-nar (yes a bit like dishrag), but then I found a source that said it was RAHJ-nar (Ragnar - Meaning of Ragnar, What does Ragnar mean?).

Huh. I can’t imagine Rahj-nar. I wonder if that website is using j to mean y? I mentioned all that because in Swedish and probably other Scandinavian languages funny things start happening with the g, but it’s not really like a j, it’s sort of more like a y (if you’re a Spanish speaker I realize this is probably extra hilarious since those are more interchangeable in Spanish : D - maybe they are in Swedish too but what I hear is more like a y) - like Rah-ynyar almost or something (the y is just super-merged with the n). In [name]German[/name] the g would be more like a k, like Rahk-nar, kind of.

Ha ha about your 8 year olds reaction : D. Yeah, I can see how that would be a risk the name would run particularly in grade school.

I believe it’s related to [name]Rainer[/name], [name]Reiner[/name], [name]Rainier[/name], [name]Raynard[/name], Ranardo and the like? Maybe one of those is a little less raggy? I particularly like [name]Rainer[/name] for the connection to the poet, [name]Rainer[/name] [name]Maria[/name] Rilke…still not the easiest name to pull off but maybe more than [name]Ragnar[/name] : D.

I pronunce it with a like this: Aussprachen von ragnar (von Ragnar Tørnquist bis Ragnar Ødegård) but I’m European, so… But since this is so Scandinavic I’d always pronounce it like this.

Edited for privacy.

Edited for privacy.