How do you pronounce Roderick?

Hey everyone!

My baby was born on [name_f]February[/name_f] 19th. We named him [name_m]Roderick[/name_m]. We pronounce it “ROJ-rik”, like I pronounce [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]. Most are saying “[name_m]ROD[/name_m]-rik”, “[name_m]ROD[/name_m]-er-IK”, and my grandparents said “rod-[name_m]REEG[/name_m]”, Which I know for sure is wrong for English haha. I’m lost. Are we pronouncing it wrong?

I pronounce it rod-er-ik.

In [name_f]Louisiana[/name_f] it would be pronounced ROJ-rick.

I’d say [name_m]Rod[/name_m]-er-ick. For that matter, I’d say [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] with separate syllables, too.

It’s “ROJ-rick” in my accent too.

I think you’re pronouncing it fine.

I’m not sure how I would pronounce it… I’d take cues from person whose name it is! Either a very fast “[name_m]Rod[/name_m]-er-ick”, or “Rodj-rick”… not quite “Roj-rick” but very close. I pronounce [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] as “Fredj-rick”.

Maybe if you keep saying it, family/friends will start to copy pronunciation off you?

I pronounce it ro-deh-rick, but I also pronounce [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] as freh-deh-rick
I’m sure the people around you will get used to the pronunciation you’re using soon enough though! I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’m in Australia and I’d definitely pronounce it rod-er-rick but I also pronounce [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] the same way. I’m actually surprised that there are other pronounciations but if I met a [name_m]Roderick[/name_m] who told me that they pronounce it differently it wouldn’t be an issue for me.

I’d say ROJ-rik. [name_m]Rod[/name_m]-rick and [name_m]Rod[/name_m]-er-ick are both a bit too awkward to say for me.

I’ve never heard of the ROJ-rick/FREJ-rick pronunciation for [name_m]Roderick[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m]! Where is the J sound coming from?

I’d say [name_m]ROD[/name_m]-uh-rick and [name_m]FRED[/name_m]-uh-rick/[name_m]FRED[/name_m]-rick (if I was speaking really fast). [name_m]How[/name_m] fascinating that there’s a whole different pronunciation out there!

Rodj-rick, for me personally

I say roj-rik too but I’m guessing that’s not actually how people pronounce it lmao.

I pronounce it Raw-drick

I pronounce it ROJ-rik

I’d say it closer to [name_m]ROD[/name_m]-rick than ROJ-rick but the j sound is in there. I’d pronounce [name_m]Roderick[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] with 2 syllables.

I pronounce it “[name_m]ROD[/name_m]-rik.”

The “dr” sound from the “[name_m]ROD[/name_m]-rik” pronunciation. Separating the “d” and “r” sounds super stilted in my accent.

I find this interesting.

For those that are pronouncing it with a J sound, how do you pronounce words like dream, drive, drove, drink?

I say it [name_m]Rod[/name_m]-rick

I say it 50/50 the way you do and as rod-er-rick. It would depend on how the parents said it for me.