How do you pronounce Tegan?

Trying to get some data on how you pronounce [name_u]Tegan[/name_u]. Telling me where you’re from (I’m in the States) would be helpful! It means “young doe” in some Welsh translations and I want to honor someone with a name that also meant “deer.” [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] is preferable to [name_f]Henrietta[/name_f] or [name_f]Fawn[/name_f], so trying to see what best to pair it with. Not TTC or expecting but planning and any comments are helpful! Thank you :slight_smile:

I know a few [name_u]Tegan[/name_u]'s though they all spell it [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] and pronounce it Tee-gan which is how [name_f]Megan[/name_f] is said in Australia as well.

I’m from the states, namely the southern region, and I pronounce it same as previous poster. Tee-gan. Like [name_u]Keegan[/name_u]/[name_u]Keagan[/name_u] with a T. Its a nice name, just nms.

1 Like

I say [name_f]Megan[/name_f] megg-in, but [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] tee-gin. I’m from a Mid-Atlantic state but now living in Australia. I’ve never heard anyone say [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] tegg-in.

I like it. The only other deer name I like is Tzvia/Zvia, which is a bit of a mouthful in English. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]/[name_f]Ayala[/name_f]/[name_f]Ayelet[/name_f]/[name_f]Giselle[/name_f] are lovely too but mean ‘gazelle’ more than ‘deer,’ so similar but maybe a bit too far afield?

[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] and [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] are the most usable [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

1 Like

I’m in NZ and I would say it TEE-gan. I also say MEE-gan. That said, I’ve come across a few [name_f]MEG[/name_f]-an’s where I live, but never yet a TEG-an.

1 Like

I’m in Aus but I grew up it the UK. From the one [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] I know I would say Tee-gan, I pronounce [name_f]Megan[/name_f] as [name_f]Meg[/name_f]-an, never Mee-gan, yet I would never say Teg-an.

1 Like

Agreement here with all, tee - gan / like the word tea gun, but different length and stress (rhymes with [name_u]Keegan[/name_u]), [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m] resident who grew up in the South, basically a generic broadcasting US accent except some Southern notes.

1 Like

I’m teagan :slight_smile:

Pronounced tee gan.
Not tee a gan like my teacher used to say :rolleyes:

1 Like

So, apparently the actual Welsh pronunciation would be to rhyme with [name_f]Megan[/name_f].

[name_u]Tegan[/name_u] = ‘TEG-an’

…and the ‘teg’ part means ‘pretty/beautiful’. For ‘beautiful doe’ you’d need Tegyd.

To pronounce it ‘TEE-gan’ in Welsh you’d need to spell it differently, like Tigan. ‘TAY-gan’ would be Teigan. Neither of those would carry the same meaning though.

I imagine the spelling Teagan (TEE-gan) is possibly an Anglo-Irish construct?

I live in the Midwest of the United States.

We would say TEE-gan.

1 Like

I’m from the UK, and I know a girl who had a little sister called [name_u]Tegan[/name_u], pronounced TEE-gan.

1 Like

I’m from the states and I would say tee-gen. Never heard of mee-gan…

I’m from [name_f]England[/name_f] and I would say tay-gan. I lived in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] a coupla years back and knew plenty of Welsh girls who pronounced it tay-gun. So I guess it’s subjective?

I’m from the UK, and would pronounce it tee-gan. I’ve never met anyone with this name, but I think spelling it [name_u]Teagan[/name_u] is more common.

I would also pronounce [name_f]Megan[/name_f] as meg-an, never heard mee-gan, though I know in the US, it is sometimes pronounced may-gun.

I’d pronounce it to rhyme with [name_f]Megan[/name_f], so TEG-in. That’s how the person I used to know with the name pronounced hers.

I havent read any of the other comments so I’m not sure if I am just repeating what others have said - I would pronounce [name_u]Tegan[/name_u] like TEE - gan

[name_u]Tegan[/name_u] would be “TEG-in.”

Thank you for your responses, everyone! It seems pretty divided, which is why I’d be hesitant to use it as a first name. The name I am becoming attached to is [name_f]Kira[/name_f] [name_u]Tegan[/name_u], pronounced [name_u]Tay[/name_u]-gehn, though I do see the charm of Tee-gan in another combination!

Tee-gan and I’m from [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]!

1 Like

In Welsh I think it’s actually meant to be teg-AAN (and [name_f]Megan[/name_f] should be meg-AAAN). Doesn’t work without a Welsh accent though :wink:

But yeah, TEE-gan is pretty standard at least in the UK.