How do you pronounce these?

Some names for which a quick net search turns up conflicting results.

[name]Carolyn[/name] vs. [name]Caroline[/name] - My father says them to rhyme with pin and wine respectively. I say both like pin. Nameberry lists [name]Carolyn[/name] as a phonetic spelling of [name]Caroline[/name], suggesting they’re the same.

[name]Rosalind[/name] - Is it rose or rawz, and is the D silent? I say rose-a-lind.

[name]Rosaline[/name] vs. [name]Rosalyn[/name] - Again, is there a difference? [name]Do[/name] either or both sound like [name]Rosalind[/name]? (You can guess what I say.)

And thus, all -line vs. -lyn names.

[name]Audrey[/name] - I’ve mentioned this before. I know some people say long O-dree, some say Aw-dree, and a few (including myself) say Aw-dray. My question is, is it correct that this is a regional difference, with British and presumably French saying O-dree, Americans saying Aw-dree, and some Canadians saying Aw-dray? Yes, I’m Canadian.

[name]Tamsin[/name] - with an S or Z sound?

I’m not sure I’m pronouncing these right…but it is how I say them

[name]Carolyn[/name] vs. [name]Caroline[/name] - [name]Carolyn[/name] like pin and [name]Caroline[/name] like wine.

[name]Rosalind[/name] - rawz-a-lind.

[name]Rosaline[/name] vs. [name]Rosalyn[/name] - rosa-a-lyn vs. roz-lyn

[name]Audrey[/name] - Aw-dree

[name]Tamsin[/name] - with an S

[name]Hi[/name]! I don’t know for sure, but this is how I say the names…

[name]Carolyn[/name] = “CARE-ah-lynn”

[name]Caroline[/name] = “CARE-ah-line”

[name]Rosalind[/name] = “[name]ROZ[/name]-ah-lynn(d)”

[name]Rosaline[/name] = “[name]ROSE[/name]-ah-line”

[name]Rosalyn[/name] = “[name]ROZ[/name]-ah-lynn”

[name]Audrey[/name] = “AW-dree”

[name]Tamsin[/name] = “[name]TAM[/name]-szin”

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Well, I’m SOuth [name]African[/name] &this is how I say them

Carloyn is CAHR-oh-linn
[name]Caroline[/name] can be cahr-OH-line ( I mainly say it likethis ) or cahr-OH-linn

[name]Rosalind[/name] ” roz-ah-lind or roz-uh-lind
[name]Rosaline[/name] is ros-ah/uh-linn
[name]Rosalyn[/name] ”roz ”ah/uh-lynn

It depends on the ”line”names a lot I actually say as ”leen”. [name]Madeline[/name] I say as mad-ah/uh-lynn

[name]Audrey[/name] is awd-ree

[name]Audrey[/name] I think only has one legitimate, historical pronunciation of the name. Any other variations aren”t necessarily correct. Sometimes accent can change the emphasis of the name, though the names should be said correctly according to the linguistic phonetics from that
name. Example, Americans say Sah-HAIR ”ah. [name]Just[/name] because they say ”air- as opposed to ”are” doesn”t mean it”s right. It depends on the name. Example, TAR-ah & TAIR-ah are both correct.So, accent can change the emphasis of the name, though some ways are just correct.It depends on the name, basically

This might help

This might help you ” it says the name & gives the phonetics

[name]Tamsin[/name] - very popular where I live. [name]Tam[/name]-szin or tam-sin. [name]Tamzin[/name] would be tam-zin

[name]Hope[/name] this helps. That’s how I have experienced them to be said, anyway :slight_smile:

About [name]Audrey[/name]. Like you, I am Canadian and often say Aw-Dray, or sometimes maybe maybe Aw-[name]Dree[/name], Eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[name]Carolyn[/name]: care-oh-lyn.

[name]Caroline[/name]: Definitely care-oh-line-- I don’t understand how it could be ‘lyn’, since when does line=lyn? I love [name]Caroline[/name]…

[name]Rosalind[/name]: I say it rose-a-lind, but I think it’s actually supposed to be rozlind, which I find to be kind of ugly…

[name]Rosaline[/name] vs. [name]Rosalyn[/name]: [name]Rosaline[/name] is rosa-leen (probably rosa-line to most people, but I pronounce it the French way), and [name]Rosalyn[/name] is obviously rosa-lyn.

[name]Audrey[/name]: I’ve only heard it aw-dree, but I suppose there are regional differences.

[name]Tamsin[/name]: With a Z sound, but they’re pretty similar…

I pronounce them as:

[name]Carolyn[/name]: Care-oh-lynn

[name]Caroline[/name]: care-oh-line (rhymes with wine)

[name]Rosalind[/name]: Raw-zuh-lind.

[name]Rosaline[/name]: rose-uh-line

[name]Rosalyn[/name]: raw-zuh-lynn

[name]Audrey[/name]: awe-dree

[name]Tamsin[/name]: tam-zin

Pretty names! :slight_smile:

Take care!

[name]How[/name] is line like lyn? The same way [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Kathryn[/name] are pronounced the same. (Incidentally, those two don’t look like they should be said the same. C/[name]Katherine[/name] looks like it should be three syllables - Kath-uh-rin - but I believe it’s only three if the middle E is replaced by an A. Not that I ever tried to say it with three; I’m just saying English pronunciation doesn’t make sense.)

This completely ruins every -line name for me. I only like the -in pronunciation and the -ine spelling. The only -ine name I learned to say with a long I was [name]Clementine[/name], which I hate. Not that Clementin or Clementeen make it the slightest bit better…

S and Z are quite different, and I have no idea how to say SZ.
I adore [name]Tamsin[/name] but hate it with a Z sound. In fact, I hate almost every name with a Z sound. Come to think of it, if [name]Isabel[/name] were pronounced Issabel instead of [name]Izabel[/name], I’d actually like it.

[name]Ila[/name] - long I, short I or long E?
[name]Isa[/name] - Same question, and is the S like S or Z?
[name]Ayla[/name] - long A or long I?

[name]Ila[/name]: I pronounce [name]Ila[/name] like the name [name]Isla[/name]: eye-la.
[name]Isa[/name]: I know an [name]Isa[/name] who pronounces her name as eye-suh, with an s sound.
[name]Ayla[/name]: I pronounce it with a long A, like [name]Kayla[/name].

Take care! :slight_smile:

[name]Carolyn[/name]- Care-oh-lynn

[name]Caroline[/name]- Care-oh-line

[name]Rosalind[/name]- [name]Roz[/name]-ah-lind

[name]Rosaline[/name]- [name]Roz[/name]-ah-leen

[name]Rosalyn[/name]- [name]Roz[/name]-ah-lynn

[name]Audrey[/name]- Aw-dree, and I AM British. I’ve never met anyone who said O-dree, I think that’s a French thing. But I suppose there are differences and not all of them seem to be regional. I met an AMERICAN [name]Ashley[/name] who pronounced it [name]ASH[/name]-lay. So, if I met an [name]Audrey[/name] who pronounces it Aw-dray I’d call her Aw-dray, obviously.

[name]Tamsin[/name]- what an s. I say [name]Tamzin[/name] with a z though.

Likewise, I only like [name]Rose[/name]-compounds if the [name]Rose[/name] part has a long O as in [name]Rose[/name], not a short O as in [name]Roxanne[/name]. For me, the only way to get the short O would be to drop the E from the [name]Rose[/name] part: [name]Roslyn[/name], etc. Is there a spelling of [name]Rosaline[/name] that would unambiguously be said [name]Rose[/name]-a-lin?

So let me add:

[name]Rosalba[/name] - long or short O?

I’ve seen [name]Ayla[/name] attributed to both Hebrew and Turkish origins; could this be the source of the two pronunciations?

The following is how I pronounce each name:

[name]Carolyn[/name] vs. [name]Caroline[/name] - [name]Carolyn[/name] as in rhymes with pin. [name]Caroline[/name] as in rhymes with pine, sign, etc.

[name]Rosalind[/name] - Rawz-uh-lind, pronouncing the D at the end.

[name]Rosaline[/name] vs. [name]Rosalyn[/name] - Same as [name]Carolyn[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] above. I also still pronounce the beginning as rawz instead of rose.

[name]Audrey[/name] - Aw-dree

[name]Tamsin[/name] - I pronounce this is with more of a z sound.