How do you say the name... - Calling on Pronunciation Experts

[name]Hi[/name] Berries - Well with just weeks to go my husband and I think we may have finally found our little girl’s name. However, after doing a ridiculous amount of research we want to make sure we are pronouncing it correctly. I know the spelling is slightly different, but by no means creative - I don’t like Cre8tive spelling. Our two daughters are Esmee [name]Kate[/name] (Ez-may) and [name]Siri[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and our third daughter most likely will be [name]Ottaline[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]. We have been saying it as [name]AH[/name]-[name]Tah[/name]-[name]Line[/name]; but we have seen it as [name]AH[/name]-[name]Tah[/name]-[name]Lane[/name]. [name]How[/name] do you say it and if it goes either way what do you prefer?

Thanks
[name]Ottaline[/name] - [name]AH[/name]-[name]Tah[/name]-[name]Line[/name] or
[name]Ottaline[/name] - [name]Ah[/name]-[name]Tah[/name] - [name]Lane[/name]

I’m going to say -line.

That said, when I pronounce it out loud I head “oddaline”. Maybe that’s just my accent?

I think it’s [name]Ah[/name] tah leen, at least according o Forvo.com: Pronunciations for Ottoline (from Ottoline Morrell to Ottoline Morrell)

I would say it [name]OTT[/name]-ah-leen. Most -ine ending names usually end in the “een” sound, from what I’ve heard. Esmee, [name]Siri[/name], and [name]Ottaline[/name] are very striking together!

Thanks for the input thus far - [name]Just[/name] wanted to comment quickly - I do know that a pronunciation of the name would be [name]Ottaline[/name] as [name]Ah[/name]- [name]Tah[/name]-Leen. However, not crazy about the Leen as we live in the states and you mainly see line’s as line’s not leen’s if anything maybe a lynn prefix sound. The little girl will already have an uncommon name I don’t want her to have to expalin the sound:) Ex: [name]Caroline[/name] as [name]Carolyn[/name] but usually not [name]Caroleen[/name] same with [name]Madeline[/name] or [name]Madelyn[/name] but not said as Madeleen. Does this make sense? So how would you say it?

That does make sense, but [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Justine[/name], [name]Pauline[/name], [name]Nadine[/name], etc.–they all have the long “een” sound at the end. [name]Madeline[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], etc. are the exceptions, not the rule, really, imo. If you don’t go for ott-ah-leen I would go for ott-ah-line.

[name]Ah[/name]-toh-line

I said ah-tah-leen when I first saw it.

After taking French for four years, I’d pronounce it [name]Oh[/name]-tah-leen. Although if you prefer the line pronunciation, I think if you correct people enough they’ll start to pronounce it that way.

I love Esmee ,[name]Siri[/name], and [name]Ottaline[/name] as sisters!

French: Oh - ta - leen
My hybrid US English: Ahdaline (grew up in US [name]West[/name] and South)
Other US English: Awdaline (I live in New [name]York[/name] and this is what most people would do)

[name]Do[/name] keep that in mind, depending on where you live you may get more ah or more aw. A minor difference but there - sort of analogous to [name]Laura[/name] and [name]Lara[/name].

[name]Line[/name] vs leen I think most people will guess line but will also do whatever they hear and get used to.

ot-ta-leen

ott-ah-leen for me.

I don’t like to see ‘leen’ names pronounced as ‘line’. For example, [name]Clementine[/name] to me, will always be clem-ehn-teen.

I also would pronounce it with an leen ending. You will be introducing your baby so u can choose whichever pronunciation u like.

Ot-tah-leen :slight_smile:

~[name]Jasmine[/name]

I honestly wouldn’t know how to pronounce it, whether lynn, line or leen. It seems some people use these interchangeably now. I’ve heard of some people using the spelling [name]Madeline[/name], but pronounce lynn. If I see line, I think line, or maybe leen, if I’m not familiar with the name. I always said [name]Evangeline[/name] not leen because I was unfamiliar with it, I’d never heard it said out loud by anyone. It does seem confusing sometimes, because I’ve never heard anyone say Madeleen or [name]Caroleen[/name], but they are spelled the same way as other leen ending names. I say just choose which one you like best!