How early can one reasonably consider the naming quest to be complete?

Not being quite yet on the second trimester and already feeling like we’ve found “the” name(s)? Is that possible?

It would have next to no consequences, since we’re not going to share the name until they’re here. Should we want to change “the” name(s) further down the road, we could and no one would find out. However, after a very intense start on the quest, it feels rather resolved and we’re not thinking of new ones at all.

If you feel like you’ve found the right name, your quest is complete (for now- you may always change your mind)!

5 Likes

Lucky you. Be contented in your contendedness. Heck, be smug!

If you feel it isn’t right later, you’ll know.

9 Likes

Congratulations!!!

That must feel like a huge weight off of your chest! There are so many things to do when preparing to have a baby, but I think we can all agree that deciding on a name is one of the hardest and you’ve completed it in record time!!

Now that the pressures off, you can always play around with future sibling names if you miss talking about names, but otherwise it sounds like you can definitely check “name” off of your list!

8 Likes

@Paigefoster, that’s a perfect name!

@tianagrace, I guess choosing the name is the fun part, or at least the free one! It absolutely helps to at least have the names ready.

@hyacinthbucket thank you! We might try some smugness now, hehe.

2 Likes

I felt the same when we decided on a name. Sounds normal! I kept trying to keep it alive though with random suggestions haha.

2 Likes

With my first two it was decided almost immediately. With my third when we found out it was a boy I agreed to the name by about 9 weeks but was campaigning for my favourite boy name up until birth and we also changed one of the middles a couple of weeks before when I found a perfect middle name I loved. This time two days after we found out I had conceived, DH texted me and said I can use my favourite boy name this time (after vetoing it in three pregnancies!!!) so that was decided super early. Girls name took until about 15 weeks and I have to admit still not being 100% but DH has admitted it’s his favourite and he’s never shown a strong preference before in fifteen years so I agreed.

2 Likes

Sounds like us. We had two boys names and two girls names in mind when we were ttc. By 9/10weeks we’d settled on which boys name we were going to use and we’d always had our girls names organised into a “first girl/second girl” order so that was also sorted before we even found out we were expecting.
Now we’re just waiting another ~7 weeks or so to see whether we will get a girl or a boy :blush:

2 Likes

Sounds like us too with our first baby. We talked about names a bit in passing, and I of course had thought about names a lot! Then around the early second trimester sat down and had a talk about it over dinner. Basically went like “What about x,y,z?” “I really love this name.” “Me too.” “This would be a really meaningful middle name.” “That sounds great!”

Then we always said we could change our minds and reconsider at any time. [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] took the pressure off. And if anyone asked we said “we think we decided but we’re not sure.” But we never reconsidered and never had second thoughts, we already found the perfect name!

3 Likes

Honestly I don’t think it matters when in your pregnancy you’ve found the name. If you think you’ve found your name that’s fantastic! I’m so envious. I’m 21 weeks pregnant been told I’m having a girl and feel totally unsure envious that you’ve found the one!

2 Likes

Congrats on choosing a name! :confetti_ball:

We had our first daughter’s name picked out before she was even conceived, and our son’s was set from midway through the pregnancy (his first name was decided from the get-go, but we were debating several middles).

My youngest was the hardest to name, and we didn’t settle until well into 30+ weeks of my pregnancy. We had previously decided on a different name at around 25 weeks, but it began not to sit right with me as the due date drew nearer, and I found it pretty stressful! :scream:

I’d love to be the sort of person who can take a list into hospital and wait to meet the baby to choose the name, but I can’t! There are too many gorgeous names at stake, haha.

That feeling of “this is it” is truly a blessing (I know, I’ve had it both ways), so enjoy getting used to it and getting to know the little person who will wear it! Having a name in mind definitely helped me bond with all of my babies before birth.

Wishing you a happy and healthy pregancy :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes