How have folks misheard your name?

Hello, everyone. I just have a sorta-quick story-time today. :rofl:

Usually, when people ask what the wildest misspelling or mispronunciation or mishearing of my name is that I’ve ever encountered, I tell them, “People have heard my name as [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] several times!” And, as my name is [name_u]Hazel[/name_u], that sounds pretty absurd to a lot of people.

Today, [name_f]Hailey[/name_f] has officially been topped! A young man came up to me at school, said some kind thing about my dress, and asked my name. I told him, “My name’s Hazel.”
He said, “Oh, like the Disney character!”
I paused for a moment. As a pretty major
Disney fan myself, I think I’d know if there was a character common enough to reference with the name [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]. So I said, “Hm, not that I know of.”
And he said, “You know, the one that lets down her hair.” He even mimed letting down his own short hair. (This is a somewhat irrelevant detail, but he then said that he could climb up my hair if I’d let it down for him. Mind you, I’ve known this boy for all of twenty-five seconds at this point. Thankfully, my mask hid my snort. :rofl:)
Now, I’ve been known to mumble and trip over the sheer amount of words that so frequently leave my mouth, but this was a first. As soon as he said that, I knew the name he’d heard in place of [name_u]Hazel[/name_u]. Today, someone misheard my name as [name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f] for the first (and I dearly hope, not the last, as gosh did this make me happily shocked!) time! Berries, this has made my day. Thank you for reading this far. :rofl:

If you’ve got a name mispronunciation story, please please, I implore you, humor me and share below!

Signed,
[name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f] :sunny:

30 Likes

Ha! I love this story! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and I’ve been commonly misheard as [name_f]Emily[/name_f] and also somehow Willow??

The craziest one: [name_f]My[/name_f] last name sounds like “weast” and once after sharing my full name I had a fax sent not to [name_f]Lily[/name_f] We@st but to “Eloise.”

4 Likes

rapunzel!! that’s adorable, i love that story :relaxed:
without saying what my actual name is, someone once called me hoe they were being serious and truly thought it was my name :flushed:

7 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is mispronounced by family, friends & strangers alike! It’s normally a spelling issue, since most of them put an extra ‘a’ somewhere or even worse, deduct an ‘a’ from my name. I have been called [name_f]Anna[/name_f] which I really don’t mind since that’s my nickname. I have also been called [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] or [name_f]Oona[/name_f].

1 Like

I’ve gotten pretty much every name that rhymes with mine (Leah, pronounced lee-uh) at this point! [name_f]Julia[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u], and [name_f]Mia[/name_f] seem to be the most common mix-ups. I don’t mind the confusion, if anything I find it funny!

If we were talking about “names I misheard as my own name”, this would also be a long list :sweat_smile: The number of times somebody has called for [name_u]Liam[/name_u] or [name_u]Leo[/name_u] or [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] and I’ve thought they were calling for me is almost ridiculous.

2 Likes

I’ve been called; [name_f]Emma[/name_f], Enmy, [name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_u]Emery[/name_u], [name_f]Emalyn[/name_f], and [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], most of the time by strangers.

With my new name [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], I had people misheard it as Teddly, [name_m]Ed[/name_m], [name_u]Eddie[/name_u], and [name_m]Ted[/name_m].

2 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this story!

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] I was known as [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] for a while whilst working as a waitress even received my wages in an envelope with [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] on. I’ve also been called [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] a lot honestly I get [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] a lot for someone who’s name doesn’t look anything like [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f]. I’ve also been called [name_f]Emma[/name_f] a few times but I think that’s because people say I look like a [name_f]Rebekah[/name_f] & [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

3 Likes

[name_f]Rapunzel[/name_f] :woman_facepalming::grin::grin:

Mine aren’t that exciting, but my name (Grace) has been misheard as [name_u]Ash[/name_u] and [name_u]Jess[/name_u] a few times which I kind of get, probably because I talk quietly :grin:

Not very often does it happen in the US but in [name_f]France[/name_f], I guess people are more familiar with [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] than [name_u]Abby[/name_u] so I got that a lot. And because they tend to overcorrect for H’s in [name_f]English[/name_f] (because they don’t pronounce them in french), I also got Habby quite a lot lol!

1 Like

Pizza :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Only similarity is the -za ending!

my english teacher called me Riviera for a bit before getting it right haha

1 Like

As a [name_u]Riley[/name_u], I’ve been called [name_f]Rayleigh[/name_f], [name_u]Briley[/name_u], and [name_f]Hailey[/name_f]. One of my best friends is named [name_u]Reagan[/name_u], and we look similar, so I’ve also been called [name_u]Reagan[/name_u] before, and she’s been called [name_u]Riley[/name_u].
[name_f]My[/name_f] last name (which I won’t share for privacy) is pretty rare, so it gets mispronounced or misspelled all the time. It doesn’t help that there’s a road in my town that is one letter off from my last name. :joy:

I’m not sure I can top it but I’ll gladly tell you my story! It’s not really a tale of someone mis-hearing my name but here it is anyway. I spent the first ten years of my life in [name_u]England[/name_u]. I would spend every [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] at my Nana’s house where she would take me to church. The same church she had taken my dad and his siblings when they were little and I had being going to since birth. The congregation all knew who I was and that I was my Nana’s granddaughter as she was a very active member of the church. I was born two months before the twin granddaughters of one of my nana’s best friends. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad and his siblings grew up with her children and I became very good friends with the twins. We shared our baptisms and we even (accidentally) wore the same dress to my third birthday party. Basically we all knew each other extremely well. The first year after we moved away, we were visiting my nana and went to church with her. [name_f]My[/name_f] nana’s friend got chatting to me (again, I emphasise that I knew her very well, even going to her house sometimes when I was very little). We finished the conversation and in a very confident manner said “anyway, it’s been nice seeing you. Thank you Eloise!”
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! Close but not quite.

PS: I enjoyed your story :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

MIL still frequently calls me Raft no matter how many times we correct her. But my favorite was one time in college. It was the first day of a new class and I was introducing myself to some classmates - “Hey, I’m Raph.” One guys eyes nearly popped out of his head as he said, "Your name is Wrath???"

5 Likes

I get Madelyn/Madeline a lot!! (Like, a surprising amount?)

I’ve also gotten [name_u]Mason[/name_u] and… [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] for some reason.

If I tell a barista my name is rose, 50% of the time I’ll get a coffee cup with “Ross” written on it :joy:

2 Likes

oh my, that is so cute! is it just me or is rapunzel actually sounding wearable now…

my name is hannah and once a professor emailed me and called me leah, and my english teacher frequently calls me rachel. like yes, they’re all biblical but that’s the only common theme?

oh and in middle school i was frequently called heather, hailey, and anna. i was so shy i never corrected anyone.

1 Like

I mostly have my name misheard as [name_f]Cerys[/name_f], which is annoying but still basically the same name as mine :sweat_smile:

Today my name was misheard as [name_u]Paris[/name_u], which is still close enough to my name to be excused.

When I first met my friend’s mum, she would call me [name_u]Chris[/name_u]. But in her defence, she doesn’t speak much [name_f]English[/name_f].

To date, the worst has been [name_f]Karen[/name_f] :neutral_face:

2 Likes

My first name is constantly being pronounced as Shyler by others. I’ve spent my whole life explaining that it’s sch like school. Someone once misheard my last name as Hershey (like the chocolate bar). That’s not even close!

Most often I get called Rachel although I do occasionally also get called Ruth. At least they get the first letter right and they are all biblical. My name is Rebecca.