How I met your Mother viewers, help!

I am pregnant with my third child and planning on not finding out the gender.
We have a boy and a girl already.

One of the boy names we like is [name_m]Marshall[/name_m]. My first associations with it are from [name_m]How[/name_m] I Met Your Mother, but I’m ok with it because it’s not on anymore so there is already distance from it and it’s a great character anyway.

Concerns with that name is our son’s name is [name_m]Robinson[/name_m]. We call him [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. Is this too obviously “[name_m]Marshall[/name_m] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] from HIMYM”??

I asked two people I know and one IMMEDIATELY made the connection. The other person had to have the connection explained and thinks it doesn’t matter cause the character [name_u]Robin[/name_u] from the show is female and it therefore seems like a totally different name. (Both people watched the whole series)

Anyway, just wanted some thoughts from those who have seen the show. If you met a family with a girl and two boys,( [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_u]Robin[/name_u], and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] ), would you think of HIMYM?

It might cross my mind if I saw a [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and a [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], but I don’t think that it would bother me or that I would really think about it for longer than just a split second of ‘‘Oh, hey aren’t those the names from…’’
But especially since your [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is a boy, I think it’s perfectly fine, plus if you love the name [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], you should just go for it.

I love HIMYM, but I think that because your [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is a boy (and because that’s not his full name) it isn’t an obvious connection at all. It’s not like [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] were a couple on the show, or your daughter’s name is [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

[name_m]Marshall[/name_m] is adorable. It works well with both your children’s names.

I watched the show but i would not immediately make the connection. You should go with [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] if you want to.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t worry about it! The show is older and kids your son’s age won’t even know anything about it. I think the name sounds good :slight_smile:

I have no idea what you’re talking about, so I wouldn’t make the connection. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never seen the show and don’t know anything about it, so I obviously wouldn’t make the connection! But it sounds like it shouldn’t be a dealbreaker. It’s not an overly obvious connection.
What I really came here to say was I am so enthused to hear about a little boy named [name_m]Robinson[/name_m]!! I love the name, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard it on a child (even online!) so I am very excited! :slight_smile:

I think HIMYM fans like me would think about it, but the connection doesn’t bother me and if you love [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], go for it.

Columbiacharm- thanks! And I am very happy to hear that you both love it and have never come across it on a person before! We thought about just using [name_u]Robin[/name_u], but my husband wanted it to be clear on resumes and such that he was male. And I just love the name. With middle it’s [name_m]Robinson[/name_m] [name_u]Brett[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

Hoping it continues to be not used often; I named my daughter [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ([name_f]Evie[/name_f]) four years ago thinking it’d be safely uncommon but it’s just getting more popular…don’t want that to happen with [name_m]Robinson[/name_m]!

Thanks for the the input everyone! I’m feeling better about potentially using the name…which probably means it’s a girl and we are back at square one, haha

I was pretty much the biggest fan of HIMYM in the world and while I would think of it, I don’t think most would especially with a boy [name_u]Robin[/name_u] I sa go for [name_m]Marshall[/name_m] is a great name

I’ve watched most of HIMYM, and if I met a little boy named [name_u]Robin[/name_u] who had a brother named [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], don’t think I’d think of it. I might if you had a daughter named [name_u]Robin[/name_u] and a son named [name_m]Marshall[/name_m], but I don’t think so, not when you also have another child named [name_f]Evie[/name_f].