How important are sibsets to you?

I’m just curious, how important it is to you that your kids names go well together. [name]Do[/name] you have any specific critera, like they have to be the same style, or same origin, or just whatever you feel sounds good? Does the gender of the kids matter? [name]Just[/name] wondering

Pretty important. Mostly, I like names that go together not only for the sound, but also so that no child is singled out. My son is named [name]Quentin[/name]. I would like to have another child next year. I’m debating on another Q name since the letter is so rare. I don’t want him to feel weird being a “Q.” Other options I’ve considered are using an X or Z name as well since both of those are “odd letters out.”

As far as origin, this has recently inspired me as well. [name]Quentin[/name] is both Latin and French. I took French in high school and became obsessed with French names. Also, the French celebrate name days. I like this idea. I’m also considering choosing a French name so that all the children would have a name day to celebrate.

It’s important to me that the names not sound too much alike but that they are of the same general style. Really, the criteria for naming my first child (that the gender be evident, that the spelling and pronunciation be clear, not in top 50, etc) will be the same for the next child and imo will help make the names “go”.

Very important! Think about how often you will be saying the names together… every time you talk about them or to them… that’s a lot. I’m trying now to find a name for my daughter - sister to my 2 year old son - and I’ve ruled out names I really like just because they are too hard to say together or they sound ridiculous and “rhymey.”

I think very important. But (unless it’s just for fun) I would rule out matchy-matchy names - like spelling all the names unusually so they all start with the same letter ([name]Kenzie[/name], [name]Kyler[/name], [name]Kory[/name], [name]Kayla[/name]) or rhyme ([name]Bonnie[/name], [name]Lonnie[/name], [name]Ronnie[/name], [name]Connie[/name]), but it is important that they all have the same feel. I think that there should be meaning behind the name (one of the reasons why, despite my love of the name itself, I’ve ruled out [name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name]) and that you should apply them in good taste. And some names just don’t mesh well - like LaFonda and [name]Kip[/name]. Although they did end being a cute couple. But if you’re going to go with an obvious style of name, like something in the LaFonda genre, then keep to that group - [name]DaVon[/name], Ephasia, what have you.

I love my children’s names because they are classic. Almost all the names in my family are classic, too. Some of them are Scottish like [name]Kenneth[/name] and [name]Clyde[/name], my father and uncle. Some are vintage like [name]Flora[/name] and [name]Kirby[/name], my aunt and uncle. But most are true classics such as [name]Matthew[/name], [name]Ann[/name], [name]Peter[/name], [name]Grace[/name], and [name]Jane[/name].

That’s my thought exactly. I don’t think they need to match, but they have to feel the same. That’s very vague, I know. And not all names feel the same to everyone, but I think they have to have the same feel for the parents.

Not very much. I’d avoid names that sound silly together or are just too close, but I wouldn’t try for matching in other ways. All children would be named with the same criteria, so there might be similarities. I wouldn’t end up with, say, [name]Kaylee[/name] and [name]Theodosia[/name].

I’d be just as concerned about how my children’s names went with my own. At least, this would be an issue if my naming style led to names similar to my own, which it doesn’t. But I wouldn’t want something like [name]Paris[/name] [name]Brosnan[/name]. Seriously, [name]Pierce[/name] and [name]Paris[/name]? That’s like one of those typical bad twinsets, except much more inventively bad.

Its not super important to me, but they have to sound like siblings.
I would never pair [name]Sebastian[/name] with [name]Hayden[/name], for example. They are too different to be siblings.
My names I have picked out don’t follow a theme or anything crazy like that, but they have a similar style!
Here are mine:
[name]Julian[/name], [name]Nora[/name], [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Finn[/name].
I guess I like short, simple and spunky/a bit old fashioned names…
Therefore in my kids sibset they would all have this similar style!

Very important. I want names that have the same style and feel, though they certainly don’t need to convey the same emotion or personality. They wouldn’t need to be of the same origin, either. I personally don’t like names beginning with the same letter, and I’m not thrilled with names having the same end sounds, but that is something I could live with.

For me, sibsets are slightly important. When I look at names, I do think of how receptive they would be to other people as siblings. Like I would never pair the names [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Jayden[/name] together, just because one is so trendy and the other is very classic.
Although I don’t really take popularity into consideration as much as the sound of it. For example, right now my favorite names are [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Darwin[/name] - one is very popular while the other isn’t, but they still sound good together, in my opinion.
But also, using the [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Darwin[/name] example, since I love the name [name]Darwin[/name] because of my love and appreciation of science and [name]Charles[/name] [name]Darwin[/name], I would want [name]Claire[/name] to have a name with meaning as well. I would include a name or variation of another influential scientist, or perhaps a famous author (my loves being biology and English literature). So, in that sense, I do think that they do need to be connected somehow, because then both names have an important namesake in them.

I’m also not a fan of matchy sibsets. For example, my friend and her sister have the exact same initials, KM ([name]Krista[/name] [name]Marie[/name] and [name]Karlie[/name] [name]Michelle[/name]), but their 2 half-siblings have completely different names. I find that a little strange.
My brother has a friend named [name]Lucas[/name], who has a brother named [name]Dante[/name] and a sister named [name]Sedona[/name]. I feel like [name]Sedona[/name] is the odd one out because her name is so uncommon. But, they all still work together.
My brother and I are named [name]Jacob[/name] “[name]Jake[/name]” and [name]Rachel[/name]. They’re both Biblical names (which is weird since I come from a non-religious family), but I think our names work well together.

So, to sum this long post up, I do think sibsets are pretty important, but not so important that you have to make sure your second child’s name works perfectly with the first child’s name. Since your style and taste in names usually is the same, sibsets don’t usually sound really out there.

It’s pretty important to me. They need to be the same style and also flow well together.

As long as the names flow well together and with their last names, the style does not matter as much. My son has a “stylish” Scottish name, but my daughter has a classic English name. To me, they still go well together.

Sibsets do not really matter even though you will say their names togther they are two diffrent people

I have a few rules and they are in place for each of my children.

I have twin boys [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Fintan[/name].

Rules:

1. No initial repeats which means no [name]Ophelia[/name], [name]Ottilie[/name], [name]Florence[/name] or [name]Fletcher[/name] - names we all like.
  2. No same sound ending. This i regret slightly as i love names like [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Hector[/name], [name]Dexter[/name] - all out as too similar to [name]Oscar[/name]. Same with [name]Fintan[/name] and [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Tobin[/name], [name]Gretchen[/name] etc. So left with ending in y, a and o.
  3. Similar in style

For me, the most important part of a sibset is just that the names sound good together and that I can feasibly say them together with each name being distinct (aka. not too rhymey or similar in sound). I have some criteria that a name has to meet before being in the running (meaning is important), but style is not part of that criteria. For example, I have chosen the name [name]Luther[/name] for my (almost born) son, and for a girl, we were considering [name]Teagan[/name]. These names are different styles (in my opinion), with one being a light unisex name and the other a heavy german name. But, we’ll be calling [name]Luther[/name] [name]Luke[/name] most of the time, and I think that [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Teagan[/name] go well together. We were also possibly considering Rosebella (again, completely different), but [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Luke[/name] and [name]Bella[/name] also go together.

Ultimately, I just have to think that they work.

My first priority would be choosing a name that was right for the child. I like the idea of names having a general “theme” (not too…TOO, if you know what I mean, but of the same era/all being “timeless”/all very modern-sounding…w/e floats yer boat!), but I have to draw the line when parents become so focused on the names of potential future siblings that they forget that they’re already bestowing a very special name on a new little person, who deserves a name FOR THEMSELVES and not for their hypothetical brothers and sisters.

Very important I like how [name]Evelyn[/name] and [name]Izabelle[/name] flow I also like [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] they flow well to .

I have to add to what I said. Or, actually, you pretty much said it before me. Matchy-matchy names suggest that children are fashion accessories rather than people.