how important is it that a sibset sounds good stylistically?

[name]Hi[/name]. I’m new to this site & still working out how to use it. I’m not sure if my friend, [name]Jill[/name] already posted a thread but I decided to join this site since it’s been quite helpful to me in the past. I am expecting my 6th child very soon! I am 34 weeks along. I like the gender to be a surprise so I have yet to find out if it’s a boy or a girl. However, I do have a name picked out for each case.

For a girl: [name]Primrose[/name] nicknamed “[name]Rosie[/name]”
For a boy: [name]Atticus[/name] nicknamed “[name]Atti[/name]”

My question to you all and if you could answer, I would be very thankful, is: how important is it that the sibset sounds good stylistically? Is it an absolute must? If so, I’m not sure if these names I picked out go well with my other children’s names. I will list them below:

[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Foster[/name], age 10
[name]Oscar[/name] [name]Elias[/name], age 8
[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Indigo[/name], age 7
[name]Elodie[/name] [name]Paloma[/name], age 5
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Athena[/name], age 2

Also, I have yet to find middle names for my newest bundle of joy so if you could perhaps suggest a middle name for both [name]Primrose[/name] & [name]Atticus[/name], that would be so helpful to me. Thanks so much! I am lucky to have found this site.

God be with you,
[name]Rachel[/name]

In my opinion, the flow of a sibset is much less important than each name’s individual flow. We spend most of our lives as individuals rather than being listed off in a set. That said I don’t think either of your choices would be hugely different in style than your other children.

I think they should sound like they were named by the same person. The names should have some type of relationship even if it isn’t obvious to anyone but you and your family. And I think it has to do with fairness amongst the siblings. If I had sibs named [name]Elisabeth[/name], [name]William[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name] & [name]Theodore[/name] and my name was [name]Kylie[/name], I’d feel slighted. It doesn’t matter that we spend most of our lives living separately as adults, I know that I’m the one and only sibling with the weird name

[name]Hugo[/name], [name]Oscar[/name] & [name]Atticus[/name] sound good together and [name]Atticus[/name] fits with the girls also. They’re all uncommon, old-fashioned names
[name]Primrose[/name]…I don’t know. It’s very fairy tale-ish and sugary sweet. I can’t picture an adult [name]Primrose[/name] as a serious person. [name]Even[/name] if Hunger Games isn’t your reason for choosing it, it looks like you name your kid after a popular movie.

I don’t think it’s very important. My only hard rule is that siblings’ names shouldn’t be too similar in pronunciation, like [name]Amalie[/name] and [name]Emily[/name]. Other than that it’s all down to personally preference.

We have also considered a few other names if its a girl:
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name] (which is funny that you suggested that as a middle name for [name]Primrose[/name]!)
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
& [name]Primrose[/name]

[name]Do[/name] you think any of those go better than [name]Primrose[/name]? I’m definitely open to some suggestions. Nothing is too set in stone.

We also had a shortlist for boys names as well:
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]

Any of those go better than [name]Atticus[/name]? Which do you like? Thanks!

Oh and thank you so much for your suggestions! I like [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Gray[/name] & [name]Primrose[/name] [name]Laurel[/name] as well as [name]Primrose[/name] [name]Odette[/name].

The children should sound like they were named by the same person, and I do prefer for names to sound nice together stylistically. However, in the grand scheme of things, how sibling names sound together isn’t important at all. Also, I really don’t like the phrase “sibset” - it makes your children sound like a set of dishes or silverware.

Sorry for using a phrase you dislike. Didn’t mean to offend you. [name]Just[/name] trying to get some help here for naming children. Isn’t that what this site is for?

I think your names fit really well with your sibset (just a shorthand way of writing for this site-- nothing to do with matching silverware), so I don’t think you have to really worry about this. Your friend did post and a couple of us put up suggestions for mns.

Here were some possibilities that I thought would work well:

[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Alice[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Collette[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Irene[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Maud[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Thea[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Thisbe[/name]
[name]Primrose[/name] [name]Xanthe[/name]

[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Barnaby[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Donald[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Edmond[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]George[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Julian[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Kent[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Paul[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Ralph[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Roland[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Rupert[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Xavier[/name]

I am terrible at thinking up middle names that go with people’s style, but I wanted to add my opinion that I have never been one to think that sibling names have to be similar in some way or style. That being said, I actually do think [name]Primrose[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] go quite well with your other kids’ names (which are all great, by the way, as are [name]Primrose[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name]). And I think you deserve credit for naming 6 children so well (and really, for having 6 children in general – wow!). Nicely done. :slight_smile:

I think that you should just go with names that you like, because limiting yourself to names that would only work with your current children’s names just doesn’t always work out. People have said certain names that would fit well with my sons name and I don’t like any of them, but I like names that to others would not fit well.
I think [name]Primrose[/name] is cute, and [name]Atticus[/name] is nice. It gets harder to pick out names that sound well when you have more children and all your children have lovely names.

Thanks so much to all of you. Your feedback has been really helpful!

I think those names are very fitting for your sibset.

Saw you are thinking about using the nn [name]Rosie[/name] for [name]Primrose[/name], but may i suggest [name]Primrose[/name] nn [name]Posy[/name]? A recent guilty pleasure of mine!

xo [name]Viv[/name]

I like [name]Posy[/name] as well! So you don’t think that any of my other names for both girls & boys work any better? I’m second guessing [name]Primrose[/name] & [name]Atticus[/name].
I still like [name]Aurora[/name] for a girl.

I didn’t realize you were second guessing your choices. Of your list, I like [name]Aurora[/name] and [name]Primrose[/name] the best, with [name]Pearl[/name] being a close third. [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Laurel[/name], while beautiful names, seem to sort of pale in comparison to your current girls’ names. For boys, my favorites are [name]August[/name] and [name]Jasper[/name], but I’m not sure if those are too similar to [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name], respectively. Maybe they could be middles? [name]Silas[/name] [name]August[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] sound very handsome. Maybe in that same vein, you could use [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Laurel[/name] as middles? I love the sound of [name]Aurora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] and [name]Primrose[/name] [name]Laurel[/name].

Ooh I love your suggested combos. Now my husband & I have some thinking to do. Can I make a poll on here? I think that might be the best way to get feedback

A poll is a great idea. You’ll find the poll option under “additional options” or something similar if you scroll down when you are creating a new post. I look forward to voting! You really can’t go wrong with those names, though. :slight_smile:

My sibset rule is based on the TVTrope “Murder, Arson, and Jaywalking”. The idea, obviously, is that the juxtaposition of such disparate things is unintentionally funny. I would consider sibsets like [name]Josh[/name], [name]Emma[/name], and Sappharina – or Sappharina, Diamondia, and [name]Kim[/name] – a good example of a “Murder, Arson, and Jaywalking” sibset.