How is the name Jessamine pronounced?

[name]Hi[/name] there, Berries!

What is the correct pronunciation of the name [name]Jessamine[/name]? Is it pronounced [name]JESS[/name]-uh-min or [name]JESS[/name]-uh-meen? Or, can it be pronounced either way?

Thanks for any insight you can offer regarding [name]Jessamine[/name]'s pronunciation! I think [name]Jessamine[/name] is a really lovely name, and I am keeping it in mind to use as a middle name for a future daughter (or to use on a future kitty, haha). :smiley:

Thanks & Take Care!

~*~Nameseeker3

[name]Hi[/name] nameseeker3:)

Well [name]Jessamine[/name] is French so the authentic pronunciation is hard to describe. The closest I can do is ā€˜zhjez-ah-MEENā€™ (with the emphasis on the last syllable) but I think youā€™ll find most people in English speaking countries wonā€™t know this and pronounce it ā€˜[name]Jessa[/name]-minā€™, not nearly as pretty or exotic.

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I know a girl with this name. It is pronounced [name]Jess[/name]-uh-min

Sounds similar to [name]Jasmin[/name]ā€¦but better imo.

Well, NB lists the pronunciation as [name]JEH[/name]-sah-meen, but I seem to have a phobia of ā€œeenā€ endings, and I honestly love the [name]JEH[/name]-sah-min pronunciation. Itā€™s a really cool name, either way!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I adore the name [name]Jessamine[/name]! The correct pronunciation is jess-a-min, since it comes from [name]Jasmine[/name], but I pronounced it -meen when I first saw it. Now Iā€™m used to the -min pronunciation, but I think both are really pretty. Iā€™m not sure it itā€™s actually French, but if it is, then itā€™d definitely be -meen. Iā€™d be curious to know if itā€™s actually used in [name]France[/name].

Thank you so much, charliehotsox, martina, lemon, and irisrose for your insight regarding the pronunciation of the name [name]Jessamine[/name]! Charliehotsox, the ā€œzhjez-ah-MEENā€ pronunciation is quite lovely! :wink: However, I actually am leaning toward liking the pronunciation of jess-a-min a bit better (even if that is not the original French pronunciation). I suppose I just like it for its simplicity and how it is closer-sounding to [name]Jasmine[/name] (a flower I love and a name that I like, but find a bit too popular). Thatā€™s just personal preference, though. I can definitely see how you prefer the ā€œzhjez-ah-MEENā€ pronunciation, since it is more exotic and traditional. :slight_smile:

[name]Glad[/name] to hear all of you like the name! :smiley: Thanks for the feedback.

Best wishes!

~*~Nameseeker3