How Long can a name be?

Can a person have three middle names? Or does it comes across as pretentious? Is two the maximum?

Is it okay if the names sound good together? What are your personal thoughts on the length of a name please?

My cousin has three middle names, it doesn’t sound weird really to me, but they flow pretty nicely. That’s the only person I’ve met/known with more than one middle name. Finding the right flow, is key to having multiple middle names. I have a few in my signature, and even a few more.

In one of my name combos, I would rather like [name_f]Allean[/name_f] first, THEN ruth. But I like the flow of [name_f]Ruth[/name_f] [name_f]Allean[/name_f] better than [name_f]Allean[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f].

I think even two names is too many, but can be gotten away with if say one of the names is a family name, or its used to avoid certain initials. Personally three names is just being silly. There’s no point, and it makes filling out forms difficult.

I work in a call centre on a helpline. When a customer comes through they have to confirm their full name including any middle names. It sounds such a mouthful on the rare occasion they have three middles. Because including the first and surname, thats five names in total. Its really not necessary!