How many 'it' names do you have?

[name]How[/name] many names on your list do you actually think of as being the one? I have [name]Lucy[/name], but after that I don’t know if I’d actually use any of the names on my girls list. What about you? [name]How[/name] many on your list would you actually use in a heartbeat? And if you want to tell me what they are, that’d be good. Maybe your perfect name will be perfect for me as well.

[name]Tamsin[/name], [name]Iris[/name], and [name]Ione[/name] have all filled that spot at different moments for me, but I’m not sure if I have any “it” names at the moment.

[name]Edit[/name]: Oh, [name]Hero[/name] too! There was definitely a point where I was completely in love with it enough to use it, even though I knew it had the potential to be a controversial choice.

My perfect name is [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I would definitely use it in a heartbeat. It’s timeless, a classic beauty, full of nickname potential, elegant, professional, feminine, has a strong history… I could go on and on. My favorite thing about [name]Elizabeth[/name] is that it ages well. [name]Elizabeth[/name] could belong to a newborn, a young child, a highschool girl, a graduate student, a mother, a great-grandmother, etc. The name [name]Elizabeth[/name] never ages you.

Other names I would use in a heartbeat:
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]

My fiance and I are naming a daughter [name]Verity[/name]. Nothing else is even close, so it is definitely my “it” name! It’s kind of nice. I don’t have the stress that so many other berries seem to go through!

We only discuss other girls’ names in the event we have more children, or twins. We almost feel guilty because our second choices are so far second, it’s no contest. But I do like [name]Gwendolen[/name], [name]Kassandra[/name], and [name]Mattea[/name] currently. Fiance totally surprised me by liking the name Meridian. I told him middle name territory only. :slight_smile:

[name]Lucy[/name] is my “it” name as well. I think its just absolute perfection. I’d put [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] in this category too.

For boys my “it” names are [name]Noah[/name], [name]Matthew[/name] and [name]Beau[/name].

For Boys I have 3 ([name]Justus[/name], [name]Titus[/name], [name]Caspar[/name]), for girls not a single one. And I haven’t had “the one” for years, since I had to dump [name]Emma[/name]. It’s frustrating as a name crazy person. I mean if it was out there I’d read it by now…

I struggle with this - especially with my girls’ list; it’s quite long, but when it comes down to it, only a handful of them are ones that I would actually use. Usually the problem’s include:

1. Doesn’t go with our last name - this is possibly my biggest frustration, followed closely by…
  2. Partner doesn’t like the name
  3. [name]Love[/name] it on paper, but feel like i’m forcing it, or having to pay too close attention on how to pronounce it out loud, which leads to…
  4. The name being too …different, or not suiting a blue eyed (likely fair haired & skinned) little person.
  5. Too similar to my son’s name ([name]Leo[/name]) eg. Sharing first initial, or a long “e” sound

There are more reasons of course, but it shortens my list (for first names) quite significantly. Middles i’m not quite to worried about.

So, from my list names that I would actually use:

[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Veda[/name]

Given how long my girls’ list is (at least 100 names) its actually seems pretty insane how many get written off when it comes down to it.

I don’t find boys’ names as difficult, my list is a lot shorter and is pretty steadfast, it’s not often that a name on that one gets axed completely, nor is it added to as frequently as my girls’ list.

Three “It” names for girls. [name]ONE[/name] “It” name for boy.

For a boy- [name]Cole[/name] (family name on husband’s side, will be used as a first), [name]Joseph[/name] (family name on my side, would be used in the middle spot), & [name]Noah[/name]- just love this one & would definitely use it for a 2nd son.
For a girl- [name]Catherine[/name] (family name, definitely will be used as a middle if I have a girl), [name]Eva[/name], [name]Ana[/name], [name]Tessa[/name] are my “it” names for firsts at the moment. This changes far more frequently than my boy “it” names.

My current “it” name (it has been for almost a year) is [name]Georgiana[/name]. It’s beautiful, elegant, I adore the more tomboy nickname [name]Georgie[/name] but even that can fit a girly girl. It ages well, and it fits our last name. I will definitely use it if I were having a daughter!

[name]Lucy[/name] is my “it” name too. Nothing else compares to it for me and though other names may be more unique, [name]Lucy[/name] is the name I can see any daughter of mine having.

I have 2 ‘it’ girls names I like from my long list, [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] but they would have to get round DH first. He like [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Scarlet[/name] and [name]Cleo[/name].
Boys are easy [name]Felix[/name] [name]Paul[/name] and [name]Dexter[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] we both agree on and would use today :slight_smile:

From my sig I’d use [name]Harriet[/name] and [name]Nora[/name] without hesitation. And [name]William[/name] from the boys list.

I’m too chicken/not sure I love the others.

I’ve got three ‘it’ names for daughters, which I’ve had since I was 17 or so ([name]Elspeth[/name], [name]Ingrid[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Margot[/name]). Boys are a bit different: I have a top five or so, but the ‘it’ name changes pretty regularly between them and I’m not as attached to them. I’m more attached to three boy middles, which are [name]Alistair[/name], [name]Robert[/name]/[name]Robin[/name], and [name]James[/name]/[name]Seumas[/name]/[name]Hamish[/name]…I’d probably let the S.O. have his way on boy firsts if I got the middles, and vice versa for the girls :slight_smile:

The first ‘it’ name I remember having is [name]Norah[/name] :slight_smile: I was in love with that name after reading [name]Kit[/name] [name]Pearson[/name]'s Guests of War trilogy in grade 2 or 3, and realising it was related to my sister’s name without sounding identical.

I would definitely use [name]Lachlan[/name] and [name]Evander[/name], and would hope to have two sons one day so I can use both! I don’t really have an ‘it’ name for a girl though, I go through stages, right now it’s [name]Natalie[/name], but it could easily change again and again :frowning:

I have NONE for girls! A boy would be easy for me…my pick would be [name]John[/name]. Probably [name]John[/name] [name]Joseph[/name].

My girl name was [name]Nina[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] but my [name]BIL[/name] & [name]SIL[/name] kinda stole the [name]Nina[/name] part! So my It mn is [name]Mary[/name]-[name]Beatrice[/name] or [name]Jean[/name]-[name]Beatrice[/name]…the first name is undecided. Maybe:
[name]Claudette[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
Merit
[name]Antonia[/name]

It’s so strange that my two “it” names are on your short list too! I’d use both [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Ingrid[/name] for sure!

I love the name [name]Hero[/name] for a girl!

I only have one “it” name. For both genders. Much as I adore all the other names on my short list, and much as I imagine those will be the names I’ll use if it’s all up to me, there’s just nothing as perfect as [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name] to me. They’re just it. I’m hoping that after I use those names that one of my other favorites become the “it” names, because I love them too much to really want to give them up, either. But still, [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], [name]Brody[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], etc.–they’re just not on par with [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name]!

[name]Helena[/name], [name]Cora[/name], [name]George[/name], and [name]Edward[/name] are my “it” names. I also really love the other names in my signature, but not quite with the same passion as I love my top two.