How many kids?

Hey there! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I were talking last night about how many kids we want to have someday. I have always wanted a bigger family, I can’t explain why, but it just seems so fun and chaotic (in a good way!) I only have 2 syllables and my husband is the oldest 1 of 4. I’ve always wanted 4 or 5 kids if 4 kids I want 2 girls and 2 boys, but lately I have been thinking it would be fun to have 3 girls 1 boy. If I have 5 kids I want 3 girls and 2 boys. Sorry I feel like I am rambling.:joy: [name_f]My[/name_f] question is do any of you come from big families or plan on having a lot of kids? This is an odd question but if you could pick would you pick to have 4kids (2 girls 2 boys or 3 girls 1 boy)? I am also wrestling with the idea of having 5 kids. Again I am so sorry for the long post!

5 Likes

I have no siblings which I’ve always hated so I really want a big family too. I want 4 or 5 kids and if I could choose I would have 3 girls, 2 boys. I want at least one of each!

2 Likes

I am one of four. There are three girls one boy.
I would like a big family 4-6 kids.
If I have 4 2 girls 2 boys
If I have 5 3 girls 2 boys
If I have 6 4 girls 2 boys
Obviously I can’t decide but that would be my preference. I can’t say for certain but apparentlysometimes odd numbers leave siblings being left out. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to think about but that isn’t any reason to stop you having an odd number

1 Like

My kinda-boyfriend and I (we’re still not officially dating) have already discussed kids, and we both agree that 5 would be the absolute max. I think we’d both really like 4. Ideally, 2 of each gender. I really just hope to get at least one of each!

5 Likes

Then, you’re officially a couple :joy:

15 Likes

I know right?! We’ve even talked names a little! (Not too much though! I don’t want to scare him away :joy:)

7 Likes

I’m trapped between wanting lots of kids and also wanting to travel a lot, which would be difficult (expensive) to do with a large family. I’m looking at 2-4 right now. If I had 4, I’d pick to have 3 girls and a boy. I’m just way more comfortable with the thought of having daughters lol.

8 Likes

I’m thinking about 3 but it might be 4 too. 3 sounds ideal, though.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m not sure! I love the idea of four kids, but I think I’d like three. It’s such chaotic fun!

1 Like

Ideally I’d like three! At least two for sure. The idea of pregnancy really scares me though tbh, so we’ll see what happens when we get to that point. If I end up adopting, I’d be okay with going over three if I feel my family is capable of supporting that many kids. Especially if we take in sibling groups, which I’d like. I’d also love to foster kids. I’m the second of two kids, which is fun, but I’m with you on the big family thing. I love the idea of a big, close knit family. Doing family dinners, game nights, movie nights, etc…

My bf used to say two kids, but now he says as many as I’m willing to have :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! Having family dinners, game nights, and movie nights etc sound so fun, not that it can’t be with a smaller family just the thought of doing that with a big family sounds so fun. I also like the idea of my kids always having like a built in best friend relationship with their sisters and brothers.

2 Likes

So, my grandma is one of 12 siblings, and she went on to have 3 kids. I’m an only child, but I have two half-siblings from my father. The maximum amount of kids I would like to have is 2 because anymore than that just seems like too much and they wouldn’t get enough individual attention.

3 Likes

4 or 5 kids! You’re going to be a busy Momma. :slight_smile: No harm in that, though! What a fun house you’ll have.

I come from a small family. At the moment, I live with my mother and my boyfriend, (although he’s only here about half of the time; he has to look after his little sister a lot. So oftentimes, it really is just my mother and me.) In a year, give or take a few months, when I moved cities, it’ll just be my boyfriend and me. We might get a flatmate. I love my cozy small family. I still see my father, sometimes, but he doesn’t live with me.

I have an adopted sister and two adopted brothers, but they’re more of a cousin now because one brother and one sister live with my aunt, and the other lives all the way over in [name_f]Florida[/name_f]! (For context, I live in [name_u]New[/name_u] Zealand)

Sorry, that was a bit of unnecessary background. Point is, I’ve always had a tiny family. For the vast majority of my life, it’s just been my mother and me. I love it. But at the same time, I long for a big family one day. 4 kids would probably be my maximum, although I’d be pleased with any number. Family is family! However, the career path I’m taking is going to consume a lot of my time, so I don’t want to have so many kids that I wouldn’t be able to spend quality time with each of them. Therefore, I think my ideal is about 3 kids. 4 would be okay too though like I said!

If you have the time, I think big families can be challenging but also extremely rewarding in the long run.

3 Likes

Me too! I would love to be able to travel with my children, although that would get increasingly difficult the more I had.

2 Likes

Ideally I would have 3 or 4 kids, but I assume that will change once I have one or two. I only have one sibling, which I like fine, but we are close with our cousins and I’m the oldest and I’ve always loved it (although it is exhausting sometimes looking after those troublemakers). I have also just always loved kids and people in general, so I think I would do well with lots of kids.

1 Like

My dream family is with 4 or 5 kids, but I think I will be pregnant with only 1 or 2 babies. I want to adopt other kids. If I have 4 kids, I’d like to have 2 boys and 2 girls. And if I have 5, there will be 3 boys and 2 girls!

1 Like

I had one younger brother. So just two kids in my family. I go back and forth on if I liked this or not. Sometimes I wish I had more siblings, especially a sister. I think I would have had more people to hang out with and play with. However, we were able to do a lot more because there were only two of us. We were both involved in sports and clubs. We traveled every summer as a family. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents said multiple times if we had a bigger family we wouldn’t have been able to experience as much because they just wouldn’t have had the money.

I feel the same way about my own family. I’d love to have 3 kids. I feel like that’d still be small enough that we could travel and do activities. There’s still a part of me that would love to have a big family though! So much love to go around. It’s so hard to decide :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted a big family! 4 has always been my minimum and I’d love to have 7 (and I’m scared to say, maybe even 8?). :two_hearts:

If I only had 4 and could choose the genders, I think I’d want 2 boys and 2 girls so that each girl would have a sister and each boy would have a brother, because there’s 2 girls and 1 boy among me and my siblings and my brother’s always hated that he doesn’t have a brother.

4 Likes

I am the oldest of four.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom is the youngest of four.

The two cousins I’m closest to are the oldest of four and the youngest of five.

[name_f]My[/name_f] grandma is one of… six. I think.

[name_f]My[/name_f] dad was one of ELEVEN.

I… don’t currently want kids :laughing:

(That aside, my relatives with 4+ children— and there are several— all seem to love it, the chaos, the community, everything. And I do LOVE being part of a big family. It’s actually one of many reasons I don’t think I want kids! I would basically have to be “one and done” for my own sanity and would feel pressure on myself to give the kid a sibling.)

2 Likes

if kids were not difficult or expensive I could see myself having having 4+ (prefer two of each) because I love the idea of a big family in theory. but I don’t believe I can personally handle more than two. I don’t have any yet so those feelings could change

2 Likes