How many nn do you have?

I’m wondering how many people go by their legal name vs a nickname or multiple nicknames. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you go by a name that your parents didn’t intend?

Here’s a poll too for a quick response.

I go by…
  • my legal first name
  • a nickname
  • multiple nicknames
  • a middle name
  • the name my parents intended
  • a name I chose for myself

0 voters

I have no nicknames.

1 Like

I never go by my legal name, and have one primary nn. I have one relative who calls me by a second nn.

My name isn’t exactly one that has nickname options. But I did used to be called Caz by a couple of people I knew years ago, which annoyed me at first but I eventually got used to it and found it strange when they called me by my actual name.

My sister sometimes shortens my name to Ca and I also have a friend who sometimes shortens my name to Car. But I always introduce myself by my full name and I don’t expect it to be shortened in any way (and I’m normally surprised when it is)

1 Like

I mostly go by my full name, but my family calls me by my nn a lot.

1 Like

It really depends on the situation. [name_f]My[/name_f] legal name has been used in professional situations (school, work), but different friends call me different nicknames (I have at least 3). [name_f]My[/name_f] main nickname is used a little more often than the other two, but they rarely call me my full name. [name_f]My[/name_f] family uses that nickname as well (my dad sometimes calls me just by my middle name too though haha).

1 Like

So my answer is a bit complicated. 90% of the time, I go by my full fn, the name my parents chose for me. At home, there are a few different nicknames that I answer to, but they are unknown to anyone besides my parents and siblings.

As a kid, I used to answer to many natural variants/shortened versions of my fn from my friends at school, but now, as an adult, people don’t tend to nickname automatically – they call me the name I introduce myself as.

So, yeah, names are crazy! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I go by my first name! It doesn’t have any obvious nicknames, so people don’t tend to shorten it.

However, my dad calls me by my middle initial sometimes (no idea why, but he does the same with my brother) and I have a few family nicknames that are unrelated to my actual name. One of my aunts calls me by a cutesy nickname of my name and I’ve always hated it, even when I was a kid I thought it sounded so babyish and silly.

1 Like

I wasn’t really sure what to vote for here :grimacing:

When I still used my deadname, I went by many different nicknames and my Hebrew name. I hated my dead-first name though so I switched to my middle, which changed into a nickname of my middle since it’s really long. And then my family is really into nicknames so everyone kept adding more and more overtime. I answered to all of them.

My new chosen name is one syllable but my younger brothers are already calling me one nickname exclusively. It isn’t my legal name but it is one I chose for myself and I intend to legally change it once I’m 18.

I don’t know if my parents intended for me to go by so many nicknames but they weren’t surprised since it’s just a family thing at this point.

1 Like

I go by a nickname my parents use from birth. I tried using my full name in job and university but after awhile my nickname comes back :joy:

1 Like

A little bit of everything, I still go by the name my parents gave me but I changed the spelling so I also chose it for myself a little bit. I went by my middle name in High School and some people who I met there still call me that. The majority of time I go by my full first name but my husband and some close friends use a nickname.

1 Like

My full name is [name_f]Gabrielle[/name_f]. Sometimes I’m called that but mostly Gabs (similar sound as with Fab) by friends and it is what i prefer.
[name_f]My[/name_f] parents use nn Gabes (gay-bes)
Some people call me [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] but I’m not a fan i just haven’t had the heart to keep correcting some lovely people (mostly colleagues)

1 Like

I primarily go by my given name, [name_f]Julia[/name_f], and always go by that name professionally/with people I don’t know well. [name_f]My[/name_f] immediate and some members of my extended family use [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] interchangeably with my actual name, and a couple of my longtime friends sometimes call me [name_u]Jules[/name_u]. I consider these to be kind of diminutives/pet names that I associate with specific loved ones, and I would not want other people to call me that. I like being nicknamed, but I see it as an intimacy thing, at least when it comes to me personally.

1 Like

I go by my legal name mostly though my mum calls me a nickname and a few people call me [name_f]Gracie[/name_f]

1 Like

I go by a mix of my full name and a nickname. I have thousands of nicknames within family, but I don’t go by them generally.

1 Like

Right now I’m in an awkward place where I use my given name in some places and my chosen name in others. I plan on legally changing it in a few months (:flushed: crazy to think about after dreaming for so long…)

My given name has an obvious nickname that no one’s ever used. I’ve been called some of the nicknames for my chosen name but I don’t use them for myself.

1 Like

I go by different names. With my parents and childhood friends, I go by a nickname of my given name. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents were always going to call me that nickname, they just gave me a longer full name because it honors my grandma. At university and with online friends I go by a different name.

1 Like

I go by my given name around family and at the doctors, etc. But [name_f]May[/name_f] is my main nickname that I tend to go by a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I go by my given name 99% of the time. It’s what I introduce myself as, and it’s the legal name on all of my paperwork. Most of my close friends call me [name_f]Rora[/name_f] or [name_f]Ro[/name_f] though, and those variants are what I tend to use on social media or usernames, and is even what my animal crossing villager is named :sweat_smile:. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents definitely intended on no nicknames, and neither of them call me a nickname, and when they do it’s in a very teasing way lol.

1 Like

Only my mum and godmother call me by a nickname sometimes, but it’s basically just the first syllable of my name. Everyone else uses my full name.

2 Likes