How much does it really matter?

So I know I’m not the only one whose favorite name is…shall we say…not exactly well-received by the general population. Since most of our favorites tend to be pretty far removed from [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Aiden[/name]/[name]Ayden[/name]/Aeden I’m sure you guys also get the “oh that’s…different” response when you share your name. I’ve spent a lot of time convincing myself it doesn’t matter. It’s my little one after all, not theirs…the name will become the child…etc. But how much does it really matter? I’d hate to think that my child will grow up with everyone besides me hating their name. Is that fair to them? [name]Just[/name] pondering these issues tonight, and wondered what you guys thought.

Well, I usually tell myself the same thing you do, it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks except for me (and my husband). But I always kind of want people to like the names I’ve chosen, especially after searching for the perfect name for months. I named my first son [name]Griffin[/name] and the response wasn’t that wonderful. And so then I went a little bit ‘safer’ for my next child and named him [name]Spencer[/name]. So, I guess it kind of influenced me more than I want to admit.

You’ve got to be true to yourself! It would be a shame to give your child a name just because it’s the “in” thing to do, and end up regretting it. Where I live, I rarely hear trendy names, so I suppose it’s a matter of geography. I can’t recall your list of names, but I’m sure they’re lovely.
:slight_smile:

Think of it this way: Would you want your child to do something just because everyone else is doing it, or would you want your child to be true to himself/herself? If you love a name and it happens to be popular, that shouldn’t stop you from using it. If, however, you don’t love a name, but you feel pressured to use it, that’s a different story. (I grew up with 6 Allisons/Allysons, 4 Jennifers, and 4 Emilys, and instead of loving their names, each was mad she had a name belonging to the masses.

Granted, the majority of posters on Nameberry love classic/vintage/stylish names, but we like the pretty, sophisticated, and stylish ones! You’re not seeing rave reviews for [name]Egbert[/name], [name]Horace[/name], [name]Eunice[/name], or [name]Myra[/name], for instance. :slight_smile: Nameberry favorites are neither too far out or too far in, so they’ll stand out while fitting in.

When you hear a trendy name, do you cringe, or do you want to use it? Listen to yourself.

I say be strong, stay true to yourself, and realize that people often choose the popular names simply because they aren’t aware of other, more stylish options. You, on the other hand, have Nameberry (woo hoo!), and options! :slight_smile: You’ll find the perfect name for your baby, and one that your baby will grow up to love.