How much does last name factor into first name decision?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite name is [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], but my last name starts with a “S”, so it doesn’t sound great together unless you take a little pause between the first and last name… How much should I let this factor into my naming decision?

The other names that are currently highest on our list are [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], all of which sound better with our last name but which I don’t love quite as much.

(Still not sure if baby is a boy or a girl, but we’re agreeing on boy names more than girl names, so spending more time thinking about girl names for now!)

I think because [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] has a harder “s” sound that if the initial of the last name is softer, it’s totally fine. We have a harsher S sound at the beginning of our last name so I wouldn’t choose [name_f]Eloise[/name_f].

Example: [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m] is better than [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] Zimmerman because the initial Z sound is voiced and the initial S sound in [name_m]Smith[/name_m] is not. That’s just IMO though.

Of the other options, I think I’d pick [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] or [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] but that’s just me! [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] is the sweetness of [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] without the popularity and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is spunky while still being regal.

Hopefully these thoughts help! :slight_smile:

That definitely makes sense! It’s a “Sh” sound… so definitely on the harsher side. I worry that it doesn’t work with the last name, sadly… But I love it so much!

Thank you!! I do love both of those! [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] is also on our shortlist, forgot to mention that one.

Hey we’re “Sh” too! When I say [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] with our last name, I don’t mind it but it’s up to you! I think the “Sh” is on the harsher side but I don’t think it’s too bad with [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]! Plus if you love it…

Totally up to you though! Maybe try to soften it with the middle name?

Like [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u] , [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] ?

1 Like

I would only avoid if the sound isn’t what you want or it makes some sort of weird alternate meaning. What you’re describing sounds fine to me. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] Sh… sounds fine to me. [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] Suhl for a random made up example sounds a bit like hello weasel.

1 Like

Good point! It does not make a weird alternate meaning, it just sort of blurs the ending of [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] and beginning of the last name together, so it could sound like “Eloee Shaw” (for example) if you’re saying it too fast. But I think because [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a much more common name than Eloee, it probably isn’t a big deal… I appreciate the reassurance!

Thank you for the reassurance!! I like those middle name options a lot! I was thinking [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], but am very very open to middle name ideas so will have to consider those!

I think it’s probably okay! I’ve met a number of people whose surname sounded slightly awkward with their first name when I first came across their name, but I got used to them.

I think [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] S- would be fine (unless your last name is like, [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] Selise or something very rhymey) but I can differentiate between the -se S- sounds

If you love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], I’d say go for it!
It’s the far nicest out of all of your options, and you love it more.
Surname flow really doesn’t matter too much unless it rhymes or makes a strange word or sound.

I think if you love it that much, it shouldn’t matter what the last name is! Also I think a ssss and shhh sound are fine together!

You could also go about pronouncing [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
Elo - eese like [name_u]Reese[/name_u] (an ce sound) instead of Elo - eeze like [name_u]Breeze[/name_u].

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is fab! I think as name enthusiasts we overthink these things. If you love [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], and it doesn’t make a terrible sound or form unfortunate initials with your surname, I think you should go for it.