How Popular is James in Your Area?

I know it has ranked between 15 and 19 over the past 10 years on the SSA list, but I personally only have have known of 3 [name]James[/name]’ born in this time period. And I’m at the age where EVERYONE is having children.

If we name our next child [name]James[/name], will he be one of a crowd at school? I’m mostly interested in different areas because we will be moving every couple years while our children are in school.

To me, [name]James[/name] is like [name]Joseph[/name], the name of our middle son. Though it shows up high in the social security list, that’s because such a wide number of people in such diverse areas choose it for family reasons or because they just want one of that small core group of traditional names for their sons. So in any specific area, there are often FEWER boys named [name]James[/name] (or [name]Joseph[/name] or [name]John[/name]) than whatever name is trendy in that place – [name]Joshua[/name], say, or [name]Logan[/name]. [name]James[/name] is a fantastic name and you can’t go wrong with it!

I live in [name]Phoenix[/name], for starters. I had at least two [name]James[/name]’ in my senior class last year, and my 14-year-old brother’s named [name]James[/name], as well as my Grandpa, and we have a neighbor named [name]James[/name]. I’ve run into one at church and quite a few others. It has so many possible nicknames, though, and is so timeless I don’t think it matters. Go for it!

I can only think of two boys named [name]James[/name] that I have met. They are now in their early twenties. But I live in [name]CA[/name], the land of very few classic boys’ names except for the obvious ones - [name]Michael[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], and [name]Christopher[/name], etc.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, most of the [name]James[/name]’ I know are in their 20’s or older, at least, and I really don’t know that many.

I love that this is a timeless, classic name and there have been so many amazing men throughout history with this name! Thanks again!

I personally don’t know one little boy named [name]James[/name].

i know a lot of james’ but no new born babies, maybe this gives me an opening >:D

I’m in a mid-size city in the mid-south U.S. I have young children and am expecting a third. I can’t think of any little boys named [name]James[/name]; I usually hear it as a middle name. [name]Don[/name]'t know any [name]Jim[/name]'s, [name]Jimmy[/name]'s either. Its also one of those names that is sometimes shortened to initials, so that might be why we don’t see more full [name]James[/name] around. I think you are safe with [name]James[/name] despite its higher popularity ranking!

I live in northern [name]CA[/name] and I can’t think of too many kids named [name]James[/name]. My daughter who is 11 had one in her class year. She’s in [name]Jr[/name]. high now and when I asked her if she knew many boys named [name]James[/name], she could only recall the boy from last year. Honestly I don’t remember growing up with many boy’s named [name]James[/name] myself. [name]Joshua[/name] however is everywhere!

I’m in the UK and I think it’s more popular here, but three of my friends have used it already. I do think it’s a classic, however.