How to get rid of babies congestion

Poor [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]'s so congested! It’s not in her nose, so the aspirator doesn’t work. It’s in the back of her throat and chest. Can I use Vicks on her? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oh, poor little one. You can use vapourub on her chest, everyone I know do and I did too when [name_f]Dita[/name_f] had a cold. There are apparently some studies that say it can be unsafe, but my doctor says it’s fine. I also dressed her in sleepsuits a size bigger than what she usually wears, let her sleep whenever she wanted to and gave her lots of milk. And of course making sure no room’s too cold or too warm. Good luck! I hope little [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] feels better soon!

I used baby vapor rub - has a pink top. [name_m]Just[/name_m] doesnt have the menthol in it I believe is the difference between that and adult vapor rub. Also warm steamy bathroom.

Thanks you too. My friend gave me some eucalyptus bath stuff made for babies who have colds. I’ll try that tonight before bed and rub some vapor rub on her little chest.

I feel so bad for her :frowning:

I used to put the vaporub on the soles of [name_m]Dom[/name_m]'s feet and then rub some on my own chest and lay him close to me. That way it never irritated his skin, but he still got the benefit of breathing it in. That bath oil sounds like a great idea, and also a humidifier if you happen to have one. Poor little girl (though I sometimes think it’s less of a bother to them than we mommies worry that it is when they have stuffy noses). [name_m]Just[/name_m] give her lots of snuggles and milk and she’ll be better in no time. =]

I’m not worried about her, but it is keeping her awake some. She can’t breath too well so she’s up and fussy and she’s coughing trying to get it up. :frowning:

Thanks you guys. :slight_smile:

Vicks is not safe for babies under age two b.c it can cause them to produce too much mucus. Since their airways are far more narrow than adult airways, it can lead to resiratory distress. You can use baby Vicks, which is pretty much just lotion and what helps is you massaging her, not really the vicks, so you could at that point just use coconut oil or whatever you might have on hand.

You can use a humidifier, or try steaming up the bathroom. It also helps with congestion to take the baby out into the cool night air, or even just open the freezer and stand in front of it with her. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] she feels better soon!

I strongly agree with the above: viks is really not good for ANYONE who has allergies, sensitive skin, and particularly not for young babies. Hands down the best thing you can do for her is get a good vaporizer or humidifier. A wedge used to keep her slightly inclined while sleeping might also help make her coughing more productive. And of course all the milk and sleep she can get.

I gave her a warm bath today with her eucalyptus bath stuff and she was pretty calm for a good 30 minute bath. She usually hates baths, but she liked this one. It seemed to help a little bit. We took a little car ride after that, and she’s been sleeping calmly since. :slight_smile:

Hooray for a calm and sleeping baby :slight_smile:

I was also going to caution against the use of vicks or similar, its quite strong stuff and babies have such sensitive skin. Here is some advice from breastfeeding website I like (although I know this isn’t really breastfeeding related, it is still useful information)

“[name_f]Do[/name_f] NOT apply products containing peppermint oil, camphor or menthol on the face (especially in the nose) or chest of a baby or young child. There have been cases where the direct application of menthol or camphor products (for example, Vicks VapoRub™) to baby’s skin resulted in severe breathing difficulties or liver problems”

There are a few other snippets of info, not related to BFing in the same link, maybe they’ll be useful to you. Hopefully [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]'s congestion clears up soon!

Thanks [name_f]Rin[/name_f]. :slight_smile: The bath stuff is made specially for babies and since it helped and she was calm in her bath for the first time ever, I’ll just keep doing that till it clears up.

I didn’t know any of that so I appreciate the info. :slight_smile:

I always thought that Vicks was a child’s friend I am very sorry to hear that studies have found it can cause problems. I would be interested to hear if it can happen to any baby or only to those who are inclined to sensitivity or allergies.

dantea hope your baby girl improves soon.

rollo

A warm mist or ultrasonic humidifier or a vaporizer is the best idea (just avoid cool mist evaporative humidifiers because mold grows easiest in them). The pediatric pharmacist lecturer in school recommended Vicks on the feet to prevent children from eating it (as they could if it is on their chest).

You can run the shower really hot to make the bathroom steamy and just sit in there with her. That really helped [name_f]Maura[/name_f] when she had a cold this winter. The steam loosens things up.

I wouldn’t use Vicks. I’ve never even used it on myself because the package has a warning not to use it if you have asthma. My mom had a bad reaction to it when she was little, so that scares me too.