How to Get the Best Help on the Writers' Forums

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! [name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to the Writer’s Forum. Here’s the place to discuss character names and also story titles, pen names, fictional place names, and other naming issues related to writing.

All questions and discussions are welcome, but if you’re seeking naming advice for a story or novel you’re writing, we suggest using the following templates as the most effective way to get the best and most complete responses.

Categories

The first thing you should do when creating a thread is select a category from this list that best represents the sort of help you need.

1. NAMING X: Choose this category if you need help deciding on a name for one character by themselves.

2. NAMING X,Y,Z: Choose this category if you need help deciding on names for more than one character.

3. A,B,C. NAMING X: Choose this category if you already have characters A,B and C but need help with naming one or more other characters to fit the set.

4. NAME CHECK: Choose this category if you have a set of names and you’d like users to assess whether they work as a group/part of a world/part of a country etc.

5. REPLACING X: Choose this category if you already have names for some/all of your characters but you’d like to change one or more of them.

6. NAMING OPINIONS: Choose this category if you have a name and just want to know if people have any preconceptions towards it.

7. THING NAME: Choose this category if you need a name/s for something that isn’t a person.

8. SELECT FROM A POLL: Choose this category if you have a list of names and would like others to vote for one.

9. DYSTOPIA: Choose this category if you’re writing a dystopian story.

Forms

Now you’re ready to write the contents of your thread! Each category has a form that goes with it to help you out. The forms are all below. Simply copy and paste the HTML code provided and then fill in the blanks!

Category 1: ‘NAMING X’ Form

Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]: (Romance, Sci-Fi, Historical, [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] etc)

Time Period/Location: (e.g 1912, Djibouti)

Brief Plot: (You don’t have to give everything away but any important facts should be included here, for example: the new [name_m]King[/name_m] banned any names beginning with the letter A)

Character Description: (Personality, a brief history and looks – but only if they’re important, for example: a character has striking blue eyes so her parents named her something to do with the colour blue)

Who named the character: (Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g Her single, teenage mother Sally. She is a proud Scot. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)

Immediate Family (if relevant): (If known/relevant to the story, post the names of their immediate family)

Already Considered (if relevant): (A list of names you’ve already considered for the character)

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t Suggest These Names: (Any names you don’t want us to suggest?)

Anything else?: (Any other relevant information)

[b][u]1: ‘NAMING X’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]:[/b] [i](Romance, Sci-Fi, Historical, [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] etc)[/i]

[b]Time Period/Location:[/b] [i](e.g 1912, Djibouti)[/i]

[b]Character Description:[/b] [i](Personality, a brief history and looks – but only if they’re important, for example: a character has striking blue eyes so her parents named her something to do with the colour blue)[/i]

[b]Brief Plot:[/b] [i](You don’t have to give everything away but any important facts should be included here, for example: the new [name_m]King[/name_m] banned any names beginning with the letter A)[/i]

[b]Who named the character:[/b] [i](Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g  Her single, teenage mother Sally. She is a proud Scot. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)[/i]

[b]Immediate Family (if relevant):[/b] [i](If known/relevant to the story, post the names of their immediate family)[/i]

[b]Already Considered (if relevant):[/b] [i](A list of names you’ve already considered for the character)[/i]

[b][name_m]Don[/name_m]’t Suggest These Names:[/b] [i](Any names you don’t want us to suggest?)[/i]

[b]Anything else?:[/b] [i](Any other relevant information)[/i]

Category 2: ‘NAMING X, Y, Z’ Form

Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]: (Romance, Sci-Fi, Historical, [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] etc)

Brief Plot: (You don’t have to give everything away but any important facts should be included here, for example: the new [name_m]King[/name_m] banned any names beginning with the letter A)

Character 1:

Character Description: (Personality, a brief history and looks – but only if they’re important, for example: a character has striking blue eyes so her parents named her something to do with the colour blue)

Who named the character: (Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g Her single, teenage mother Sally. She is a proud Scot. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)

Immediate Family (if relevant): (If known/relevant to the story, post the names of their immediate family)

Already Considered (if relevant): (A list of names you’ve already considered for the character)

[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t Suggest These Names: (Any names you don’t want us to suggest?)

((Repeat for subsequent characters))

[b][u]2: ‘NAMING X,Y,Z' Form[/u][/b]

[b]Genre of [name_u]Story[/name_u]:[/b] [i](Romance, Sci-Fi, Historical, [name_f]Fantasy[/name_f] etc)[/i]

[b]Brief Plot:[/b] [i](You don’t have to give everything away but any important facts should be included here, for example: the new [name_m]King[/name_m] banned any names beginning with the letter A)[/i]

[b][u]Character 1:[/u][/b]

[b]Character Description:[/b] [i](Personality, a brief history and looks – but only if they’re important, for example: a character has striking blue eyes so her parents named her something to do with the colour blue)[/i]

[b]Who named the character:[/b] [i](Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g  Her single, teenage mother Sally. She is a proud Scot. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)[/i]

[b]Immediate Family (if relevant):[/b] [i](If known/relevant to the story, post the names of their immediate family)[/i]

[b]Already Considered (if relevant):[/b] [i](A list of names you’ve already considered for the character)[/i]

[b][name_m]Don[/name_m]’t Suggest These Names:[/b] [i](Any names you don’t want us to suggest?)[/i]

[i]((Repeat for subsequent characters))[/i]

Category 3: ‘A,B,C. NAMING X’ Form

Names of Current Characters: (Any names you already have in your story.)

[b][u]3: ‘A,B,C NAMING X’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Names of Current Characters:[/b] [i](Any names you already have in your story.)[/i]

Category 4: ‘NAME CHECK’ Form

Character Names:: (List the character names you want assessed for cohesion here)

[b][u]4: ‘NAME CHECK’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Character Names:[/b]: [i](List the character names you want assessed for cohesion here)[/i]

Category 5: ‘REPLACING X’ Form

Unchanged Characters: (List here relevant characters whose names aren’t up for substitution)

Character 1:

Current Name: (The character’s current name)

Reason for Change: (Why don’t you think it works?)

Already Considered (if relevant): (A list of other names you’ve already considered for the character)

((Repeat for subsequent characters))

[b][u]5: 'REPLACING X’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Unchanged Characters:[/b] [i](List here relevant characters whose names aren't up for substitution)[/i]

[b][u]Character 1:[/u][/b]

[b]Current Name:[/b] [i](The character's current name)[/i]

[b]Reason for Change:[/b] [i](Why don't you think it works?)[/i]

[b]Already Considered (if relevant):[/b] [i](A list of other names you’ve already considered for the character)[/i]

[i]((Repeat for subsequent characters))[/i]

Category 6: ‘NAMING OPINIONS’ Form

Character Name:: (Which character name would you like preconceptions of)

[b][u]6: ‘NAMING OPINIONS’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Character Name:[/b]: [i](Which character name would you like preconceptions of)[/i]

Category 7: ‘THING NAME’ Form

Thing Description: (Brief, relevant information about the building/object/society etc)

Already Considered (if relevant): (A list of names you’ve already considered for the thing)

[b][u]7: ‘THING NAME' Form[/u][/b]

[b]Thing Description:[/b] [i](Brief, relevant information about the building/object/society etc)[/i]

[b]Already Considered (if relevant):[/b] [i](A list of names you’ve already considered for the thing)[/i]

Category 8: ‘SELECT FROM A [name_u]POLL[/name_u]’ Form

Who named the character: (Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g Her single, teenage mother [name_f]Sally[/name_f]. She is a proud [name_m]Scot[/name_m]. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)

[b][u]8: ‘SELECT FROM A [name_u]POLL[/name_u]’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Who named the character:[/b] [i](Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g  Her single, teenage mother [name_f]Sally[/name_f]. She is a proud [name_m]Scot[/name_m]. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)[/i]

9: ‘DYSTOPIA’ Form

Time Period: (e.g 2561)

Location: (e.g An [name_f]Earth[/name_f] colony on a distant planet OR Spain OR a country made up of what was formally [name_f]France[/name_f] and Belgium called [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u].)

What happened: (Factors that created the present dystopia e.g alien takeover, environmental disasters, war.)

What is society like now: (Details like: how many people are left alive, which countries/races have come together, how is the planet/country run, what factors of society make the world particularly oppressive for the MC and his/her friends)

What are the naming laws: (Have rules and traditions changed? E.g Only Hindi names are used now OR Bible names are considered against the law OR names cannot contain the letter ‘A’)

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you need us to make up names: (If yes, on what cultures should we base the style of our made up names.)

Who named the character: (Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g Her single, teenage mother [name_f]Sally[/name_f]. She is a proud [name_m]Scot[/name_m]. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)

((Repeat for subsequent characters.))

Names of any other characters already in the story: List as many as you can so we can get a feel for the name scheme of the society.

[b][u]9: ‘DYSTOPIA’ Form[/u][/b]

[b]Time Period:[/b] [i](e.g 2561)[/i]

[b]Location:[/b] [i](e.g An [name_f]Earth[/name_f] colony on a distant planet OR Spain OR a country made up of what was formally [name_f]France[/name_f] and Belgium called [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_u]Paris[/name_u].)[/i]

[b]What happened:[/b] [i](Factors that created the present dystopia e.g alien takeover, environmental disasters, war.)[/i]

[b]What is society like now:[/b] [i](Details like: how many people are left alive, which countries/races have come together, how is the planet/country run, what factors of society make the world particularly oppressive for the MC and his/her friends)[/i]

[b]What are the naming laws:[/b] [i](Have rules and traditions changed? E.g Only Hindi names are used now OR Bible names are considered against the law OR names cannot contain the letter ‘A’)[/i]

[b][name_f]Do[/name_f] you need us to make up names:[/b] [i](If yes, on what cultures should we base the style of our made up names.)[/i]

[b]Who named the character:[/b] [i](Brief description of factors relevant to naming, e.g  Her single, teenage mother [name_f]Sally[/name_f]. She is a proud [name_m]Scot[/name_m]. OR e.g An orphanage run by a charitable Muslim foundation. OR e.g His grandparents, trendy jet-setters.)[/i]

[i]((Repeat for subsequent characters.))[/i]

[b]Names of any other characters already in the story:[/b] [i]List as many as you can so we can get a feel for the name scheme of the society.[/i]

What next?

When you feel your question has been sufficiently answered, you can thank the participants and then close it by clicking on the ‘thread tools’ at the top of your original post.