How to make myself write

How? Any suggestions? I’m sure it’ll help a lot of people.

Various ways:

-[name_m]Set[/name_m] a goal for time, words, or pages. It doesn’t have to be particularly good or well-edited (you can do that later), but meeting that goal can get the ball rolling.
-Use the Nanowrimo website or general idea on a smaller scale to work on particular projects.
-Have friends hold you accountable. Tell them about your plans to write (and they can tell you any plans to write), and follow through and tell them what you accomplished.
-Look online or in books for prompts or inspiration.
-Map out stories or future parts of a plot/story that you can piece together into a more cohesive narrative. You don’t have to write in order.
-Make it part of a routine. [name_f]Do[/name_f] it at a particular time of the day, or let your household know that you will be writing regularly and it will be expected that you’ll take the time to do it.
-Get involved with other writers! You can join writing groups, forums, or just have writer friends. They can help inspire and motivate you.
-Work on a side project if you’re uninspired by a big one. This can help you feel less burned out and overwhelmed by a big project.
-[name_u]Branch[/name_u] out in genre if you’re feeling uninspired. Try poetry, satire, writing a letter to a friend, a short story… anything that feels fresh.
-Enter contests or publications to have a clear reward for writing.
-Turn off the Internet unless you need it for research. Turn off or put away any distractions.
-Have a clear place and time to write.

If all else fails in getting you to write, try to read. Sometimes taking time away from your work and reading other writing and just living your life can provide inspiration.

5 Likes

Agh, that is the question!

-[name_m]Don[/name_m]’t be afraid to write “placeholder” where necessary. You haven’t named the grocery store your main character works at, but you’ve begun writing the scene? [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t stop to name the store. [name_m]Just[/name_m] write “placeholder grocery” and move on.

-I know. The first draft sucks. The dialogue is awkward, you’re not satisfied with your description of the setting, etc. IT’S OKAY. It’s a first draft, it’s going to be bleh compared to what you want it to be. [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t reread before you’re done unless you have to.

-[name_m]Set[/name_m] a goal as far as word count or pages go but don’t beat yourself up over not meeting it every time. It’s okay. [name_m]Just[/name_m] write.

5 Likes

I think the biggest motivator for me has been reminding myself that, while I do love writing, I’m doing it to reach a goal. I want to one day publish a novel—hopefully several! I’ve had this goal/dream since I was seven years old. And writing the draft I’m currently working on is an unavoidable part to reaching that goal.

Another mindset that’s helped me is remembering that you don’t have to write chronologically. Is there a scene you’re excited about that happens 3/4 of the way through the story? Write it now! If you force yourself to spend time working on an early chapter that you’re not as excited about, you won’t enjoy the process as much and you won’t feel motivated to write. This is something I still have to break myself out of because there’s part of me that just wants to write everything in order when it’s not necessary, or even helpful at times.

Branching off of that, if you’re feeling stuck, I recommend making a list of scenes that you can write/have ideas for. I have a note on my phone in a checklist format of scenes that I can write, and my goal is to write at least one of them a day. With the checklist format, I can look back every few days and feel accomplished for how much I’ve gotten done.

Finally, remember now and always that a terribly written draft on a page/document is a million times better than a perfectly crafted idea in your mind. This has helped me through my awful writing days too :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I bought a book called “Embrace Your Weird” by [name_f]Felicia[/name_f] [name_u]Day[/name_u] - It’s meant to help the reader with their creative outlet - Whether that’s drawing, painting, sculpting or writing - But I find it more catered to writing, which helped me a lot!

1 Like

Here is an idea! Find something fun to write on or with. I just got a typewriter and am loving writing on it. You could also find some fun pens or fun paper to write on. Or a new notebook (you can never have to many :wink:) You could also try writing in a calligraphy pen or cursive or something like that. :blush:

1 Like

I actually have a psychological trick!

Find a collection of instrumental music (like a movie soundtrack or something) and listen to it every single time you write, and ONLY when you are writing. It sounds bizarre, but it works! That way, your mind will begin to link that specific music with writing, and every time you hear the music you will feel the urge to write! It’s kind of like clicker-training a dog, Pavlov-ing yourself into writing.

Additional tips:
Don’t pick anything with words. You will accidentally copy the words without meaning to, believe me.

Like I said, I recommend movie soundtracks, so there are many songs on loop. But do not choose music from a movie that you know very well, because you will accidentally link the movie to the music. I first tried this with the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] soundtrack, but every time I tried to write I remembered the [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] scene that went with the music. Now, I use the soundtrack from the live-action [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland, and I love it!

Lastly, pick something with a similar aesthetic to your story. Many people don’t do this, but I’ve found it helps me get into the right mindset for working on my story.

I hope this helps! I know it helped me.

1 Like