How to make "Robin" work

So as some of you may remember form an earlier post, my Mom passed away a couple years ago and she and I were very close.We’re now trying for #4 and would love to honour her. I had mentioned using another bird name, but I am also considering just using “[name_u]Robin[/name_u]” itself. WDYT? Too dated? Her name was “[name_u]Robin[/name_u]” until she was around 18 when she changed the spelling to “[name_f]Robyn[/name_f]”. I like the original better, as it goes better with the old-fashioned, nature names I usually love. So my questions are; Does [name_u]Robin[/name_u] go with my other kids names? (see signature), Can you see it on a little girl? What variations of it may be more fresh? And what nns can you come up with? Thnx!

My much-younger sister’s name is [name_u]Robin[/name_u], so I can definitely see it on a little girl. I think it fits with your other kids’ names as well.

We’ve never really used a nickname for her, but some friends call her [name_u]Robin[/name_u] Bobbin or Binska.

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] doesn’t really strike me as “dated” and it works with your kids names on either gender.

My suggestions:

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Viola[/name_f] / [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]

I could see [name_u]Robin[/name_u]/[name_f]Robyn[/name_f] on a girl easily, but I personally wouldn’t use it with another -yn name. I don’t think it works with your childrens name, but it would make a lovely middle.
What about [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_f]Robina[/name_f]/[name_f]Robena[/name_f], [name_f]Roberta[/name_f] or [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]? [name_u]Robin[/name_u] is originally a nickname for [name_m]Robert[/name_m] so I think it and other forms could work to honor your mother.

Thanks for the positive replies girls! I’m pleased to see “[name_u]Robin[/name_u]” is getting good feedback! I am seriously considering using it in fn place, and I love some of the mn combos suggested in this thread. I’d love to see more :wink:
Also, for the person who suggested it, “[name_m]Robert[/name_m]” is my Dad’s name so that kind of rules it out as a way to honour my Mom. :slight_smile: But thanks for the suggestion.

I love:

:slight_smile: And I also love every name on your personal list :wink: Great names!

Also, how are you pronouncing “[name_f]Helena[/name_f]”?

I say, HELL eh nuh
But I know it can also be pronounced, hel AY nuh or hel EE nuh
I can’t decide how I like it best…and I may have missed a possible pronunciation!

I think [name_u]Robin[/name_u] makes a very sweet, nature-y middle for boys or girls. I don’t think it’s too dated for a first, but I’m rather smitten with it in the middle.
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]

I love the pp’s suggestion of [name_f]Viola[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (though I’d switch the names around from [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Viola[/name_f]), [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (HEL-en-a), and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_u]Robin[/name_u].

I say Hell-eh-nuh which is also my favourite pronunciation of the three.
I find it a rather unexpected choice with a great meaning (which [name_u]Robin[/name_u] has as well).

And thanks for the sweet comment on my list!

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] is lovely

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] is also really nice

I know several [name_u]Robin[/name_u]'s of different ages and I think it’s a lovely bright name.

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Corinna[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Talitha[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Verbena[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Delilah[/name_f]

I love the name [name_u]Robin[/name_u], spelled just like that. I’ve known several [name_m]Robins[/name_m] who have changed the spelling of their name (Robyne, [name_f]Robyn[/name_f], [name_m]Robinn[/name_m]) but I think changing the spelling of such a beautiful-sounding, beautiful-looking name with such a beautiful meaning is ridiculous.
Middle name suggestions:
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Lenore[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Leora[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Johanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Leticia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Luisa[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Colette[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Lisette[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Felicia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f]

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] is classic yet fresh :slight_smile: go for it.

From the above [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] are stand outs for me. [name_f]Leonora[/name_f] works so well as a middle.

I love [name_u]Robin[/name_u] on a boy. It’s sweet & naturey & somehow feels mellow but mildly adventurous because of the 100 Acre [name_m]Wood[/name_m] association! I would use it on a boy in a heartbeat and it’s actually my sister’s middle so I’ve considered it as a boy middle. It feels less fresh on a girl. The name [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] comes to mind, nice sound & great imagery, but I feel like it needs some more time maybe, at least for me. Personally I would go for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] as a first on a boy and for a girl I would put [name_u]Robin[/name_u] in the middle or use something like [name_u]Wren[/name_u] or [name_f]Sparrow[/name_f] in the first name spot to honor a [name_u]Robin[/name_u]. I also feel like “red” names could work for [name_u]Robin[/name_u] so if you like [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] or [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] I feel like these could work.

I love [name_u]Robin[/name_u] on either gender with your kiddos, but especially on a girl, NN [name_f]Birdie[/name_f]. That gives her her own unique twist on the name but you still get to honor your mom. GL! :slight_smile:

a woman named [name_u]Robin[/name_u] that I really do not like, but I find myself liking it again as a male name.

And I love the bird, robin, so probably the name could work. But definitely spelled like the bird!

I think this is another example of the NB entry being unfairly negative; [name_u]Robin[/name_u] would make a wonderful choice for either gender child today.

I think everything in its favour has already been said, but why not repeat it; it’s a bright, nature name with a long history, a wonderful meaning, great literary connections ([name_u]Robin[/name_u] Hood; [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Robin[/name_u]), it’s got strength and softness. Plus, as an added bonus, it is familiar without being popular for children right now.

I think it fits in well with your other children’s names too.

The combos suggested previously are great; I like middles that mean happiness/love/joy to go along with [name_u]Robin[/name_u] (bright fame):

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Letitia[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Hillary[/name_u]

[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Felix[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_u]Tate[/name_u]