How to not share the name?

[name]Every[/name] single person I meet who knows I’m pregnant asks “[name]Do[/name] you know the sex? What are you naming it?”

At this point, I’ve been telling people I didn’t want to think about names too much until I knew the sex but since I should be finding that out fairly soon, I can’t keep telling people that. I don’t want to share the name because 1) they are much more unusual than most people around here are comfortable with (think lots of [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Jaiden[/name], [name]Caden[/name], [name]Braden[/name], etc type names), 2) At least one person who keeps asking I know for a fact would steal the name if she liked it and I definitely don’t want her to know and 3) [name]Even[/name] though I can take the criticism, I just simply don’t want to listen to it or have to explain it to anyone.

And besides those things, my grandpa has very firmly said “I don’t want to know the gender, I don’t want to know the name, I’ll find out when it’s born.” because he’s superstitious. So, how can keep from sharing names with people. I’m finding it hard to just say no.

[name]Just[/name] tell them it’s not something you and your partner are talking about with other people or that you guys aren’t officially choosing until you see the baby.

[name]Just[/name] ask them if they have any suggestions & let your eyes glaze over for about 20 mins!

LOL! I second this.

That’s what I did!

I find that trying to shut people down when they bring it up just creates an obsession but really all people seem to want is to let their opinion be known so just letting them go on & on is what they really wanted anyway!!

Yea, I might just do that because I tried saying “We aren’t really wanting to share” and then I get “Oh come on! [name]Just[/name] tell me!” And then I end up getting into arguments.

I did let someone tell me suggestions and ended up with “Umm…[name]Emma[/name] (which was her name), and [name]Lena[/name] (len-ah) would be good. I won’t give boys names because I want it to be a girl.” O_o and from the other person “I’d suggest [name]Penny[/name] (her name)” lol

It’s just super frustrating trying to tell people “I don’t want to share” and having to argue. With this one girl, the one that would steal my names, she doesn’t want to give suggestions, she just wants to hear names so she can add them to her list. She’s really the one I’m super nervous about avoiding because she just doesn’t seem to want to take no for an answer.

Very true, plus if they share names then you don’t really feel obligated to share - you can just say. “We have a lot to think about / consider”.

If only it were that easy to just tell them no!
My parents weren’t telling people so they made up names that sounding funny with our last name and such, [name]Larry[/name], [name]Harry[/name], [name]Kerry[/name] (last name ends with [name]Kerry[/name]), and told people those if they pressed. I plan to do the same thing, I will tell people we are naming a boy [name]Zachary[/name], (Last name is basically [name]Zachary[/name] too hahaha), and I need a clever Z name to do the same with girls.
My advice, if they are going to be ridiculous and not take no as an answer, be ridiculous right back to them! Perhaps suggest [name]Angel[/name] and [name]Cody[/name] jr? (I think [name]Cody[/name] is his name??? Sorry if it’s not haha!)

It is but see, the thing with the juniors is several of these people have told me “Oh, why don’t you do a junior?” >.< No.

I could say Thomasina Thomas :stuck_out_tongue: or something. That’s funny >.<

Now with this girl, she won’t take that. I’m serious everyone, she’s my stalker. She thinks she’s madly in love with me and wants everything about our lives to be the same. It’s weird and she bothers me. She’s already asked me twice this morning on facebook what the names are. O_O

Personally, I would just lie, lol. [name]Say[/name] something about how you and your husband just cannot seem to find any names to agree on and there are no (insert gender) names that you guys both love enough, and how frustrating it is, and do they please have any suggestions.

[name]Do[/name] you have a reputation for being a Name person? That’s the only reason I can think of to describe this creepy obsession people have with your name. It makes sense that if you are a name person and you are having a baby, people would want to know the name. I’m sorry that navigating the not-telling game is not going well for you. I knew a couple who just made a hardline rule that NO [name]ONE[/name] would know. It seems like you don’t want to do this, but at some point, it might be best if it gets out of hand. You can say “Not even my parents know the name” or “Not even my grandparents know the name” and then that might make them wonder why on earth you owe THEM the name.

What a creeper! I’m not sure what I would do in that situation, honestly.

Maybe try just being straight with her? It may come off as harsh, but she sounds very pushy and like she may be the type that needs things spelled out for her.

Hahaha I guess in real life people love juniors a lot more than us berries do!!!

I think Thomasina or Thomas Thomas are totally winning names haha.

Also, that girl is straight up crazy. I’d tell her where to go… :slight_smile:

[name]Don[/name]'t have kids, but before my nephew was born we were just given an initial “C”. People had fun trying to guess C names, no one was right! [name]Every[/name] time my parents talked about him, they’d say “how is [name]Fernando[/name]” or “how is [name]Wilfred[/name]” they weren’t her style and obviously not C names but made it fun.

For my cousins, they always used the “what are your suggestions” approach. That way they get to hear names they may not have thought about, and the other person feels like they are involved by giving suggestions.

Block her, seriously.

My hairstylist told me she was pregnant, and I asked her a few months later about names. Looking back on it, she was pretty vague in her reply, and I just kept going with chatting about it. “I like classic names for boys, I like more unusual names for girls, but it has to be spelled correctly” blah blah blah. I was like “Why isn’t she telling me?”

Oh man. I have to remember that this is forum where people go willingly to discuss names, and the real world is different. I was far from creepy about it, but it must have been annoying nonetheless.

Uhh I have one of those & she’s my SIL!

And she DID steal my baby name!

Now I wish I had said “Oh you’re not waiting to meet the baby?” Cause I feel like she would’ve scrambled to be like, “oh yeah of course I am”

You could always make up something that feels like one of those names that you SHOULD like but just don’t

Yes, I am definitely the name person and people ask me for advice all the time on their names, and now that I’m naming one, they want to know, but I don’t want to hear the ugly remarks [name]Damien[/name] and [name]Persephone[/name] are likely to get.

Oh yea, she’s very creepy. Last we hung out and she told me she was madly in love with me and wanted a relationship and her husband didn’t care, I spent several hours insulting her in every way I could think (including going into the dreaded, “You’re kids have stupid names and everyone thinks your stupid for naming them that” area) and she said “So when can we hang out again”

Oh with her I might just need to say “I was seriously thinking about [name]Jasyn[/name] after that character in that romance novel.” Which is her sons name and she named him after a felon in a romance novel. Maybe that’ll shut her up.

Why are you giving her the time of day? I would cut her off so fast!

Her mom is friends with my mom and my mom is worried about her son. So my mom has obligated me to keep an eye on her and [name]Jasyn[/name] on facebook for any obvious signs of abuse. We need proof before we can take legal actions against her because even though we have proof o neglect, they live in a small town and the cops are pretty unwilling to do anything unless there’s physical abuse. So, despite my personal feelings towards her, I’m sticking in there for the kids sake. I’ll cut her off as soon as the baby is safe.

Tell her some names that were on your list, but you tossed them aside for one reason or another and will never use them. Make her think that’s what the baby’s name really will be.