How to spell our girl name...

See the results of this poll: Which spelling of Juliet(te) do you prefer?

Respondents: 47 (This poll is closed)

• Juliet: 37 (79%)
  • Juliette: 10 (21%)

I like it with just t. I generally don’t like -ette endings, and with this name, i think I pronounce them slightly different. [name]Juliet[/name] is a relaxed ‘et’, similar to [name]Margaret[/name], or like [name]Julian[/name] with a t instead of an n sound at the end, while [name]Juliette[/name] has a little more stress on the last syllable, with a definite short E sound and a firm T to finish, like [name]Claudette[/name]. Except in the phrase [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name] - there that sounds like [name]Juliette[/name] to me, but when I read the name on a list or some other person, it’s not as distinct on the last syllable (distinct enough, just subtly different). That may just be me though, [name]Juliet[/name] can be either way, obviously. It’s a very pretty name, I don’t personally prefer it with the extra letters.

Definitely [name]Juliet[/name]. That is the way I would think most people would think to spell the name, and I personally find it more visually appealing. Classic, elegant, and feminine without the added fluff of the -ette ending! Good luck!

I love both spellings actually - for me [name]Juliet[/name] is heavier on the Joo sound, and [name]Juliette[/name] is heavier on the first e in ette. It’s quite subtle, but it depends which you prefer (I change my mind from day to day). I personally like how [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] sounds a bit more, but I voted for [name]Juliet[/name] because of what you said about spelling. I feel she’d have to explain it more with [name]Juliette[/name], so if I were you I’d stick to the most simple, classic spelling.

[name]Juliet[/name]. Its the traditional way, and with [name]Juliette[/name], I think she’ll encounter the exact problem you’re trying to avoid. Plus, when I see “[name]Juliette[/name]” I see “[name]Gillette[/name]” like the razor/shave cream.

I also voted for [name]Juliet[/name].

I voted for [name]Juliet[/name], too, but I do love both spellings. [name]Juliet[/name] feels Shakespearean, elegant, and a bit formal to me, while [name]Juliette[/name] feels elegant and more lighthearted than formal.

[name]Juliet[/name] is one of my favorite names, and if I ever use it, I’m pretty sure I’d go with the [name]Juliet[/name] spelling.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Gorgeous choices in names.

I love the pairing of [name]Grant[/name] (a very handsome name) with the elegant and equally handsome [name]Sebastian[/name].

[name]Juliet[/name] is one of my favourite names and paired with the gentle [name]Pearl[/name] it becomes the loveliest combo, a top name.

Congratulations and keep us posted when baby arrives.

[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] is lovely! I like both spellings, but lately I’m liking [name]Juliet[/name] better.

I pronounce it like the French do so I write it like the French do too. It just gives it that little bit ‘more’ to me and lifts it to like the upmost level of classiness a name can achieve (if that even exists, I’m not sure…). I love it either way but I prefer pronouncing it with the emphasis on the ETTE at the end not the JU at the start, if that makes sense. It’s a gorgeous name!

Good luck:)

I’m confused…I’ve always pronounced both [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Juliette[/name] the exact same way (emphasis on the et/ette ending), but I see that some pronounce them differently. Have I been mispronouncing [name]Juliet[/name]?

I looked up [name]Juliette[/name] on Nameberry, and see that [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] wrote:

"Same pronunciation [as [name]Juliet[/name]], with a little something extra. "

If I’ve been mispronouncing [name]Juliet[/name] (I’ve always said Joo-lee-ET), someone please tell me! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hmm, when I look at both spellings I can detect NO difference in pronunciation…so let me know if I’ve been missing something too. Assuming it is simply a visual difference in the names, then my vote goes with [name]Juliet[/name] too. [name]Juliette[/name] seems too frilly (in this case unnecessarily so) for my taste.

I don’t think they’re really pronounced differently, I do think the -ette ending forces more attention to diction, however.

When I say “Rom-e-Ohhh and [name]JuliET[/name],” it is very deliberately, in my oh-so-vivid imagination, a stress on the last syllable of each name is required. When I just see the name [name]Romeo[/name], I think too much of the play and I try not to think of it. It’s a good name and more little boys should be called [name]Romeo[/name], except girls will expect him to be so romantic. It took me a while to get used to the usage of [name]Juliet[/name] as a name apart from the play. I’ve seen the name around more and spelled both ways and quite a bit more mainstream. So I like it a lot, and as I prefer simple things, [name]Juliet[/name] appeals more to me than [name]Juliette[/name].

I do talk kind of fast (you’d never guess, would you???) and then I just say things fast. I would say [name]Juliet[/name] like [name]Julian[/name] with a t instead of an n, more because that’s my … accent? I guess you could call it. It’s not really that they’re pronounced differently, so I guess I described it wrong. I like the way I say it, but I’m not pronouncing it wrong either. The spelling [name]Juliette[/name] practically forces me to put more emphasis on the ETTE than I would the ET, but I can’t promise that’s universal either. Many people with my accent or similar one will pronounce both of them more like I say [name]Juliet[/name], like [name]Margaret[/name].

I think it’s just subtle. No biggie, nothing to worry about! Sort of how some people say my name [name]Karen[/name] like starting to say ‘cat’ with a really hard R like ‘[name]RIN[/name],’ KARRIN! and some people say it more like ‘care in’. They are both correct.

[name]Karen[/name], thanks for explaining that so much better than I did! That’s exactly what I meant - not as strong as a different pronunciation, just a slightly different emphasis. But it is very subtle. Sorry if I confused everyone!

Phew! Good to know! :slight_smile:

Lamps, no apologies needed! :slight_smile: I just had to make sure that I wasn’t mispronouncing anything!

Thanks everyone!