how to spell this?

I overheard a woman calling her daughter’s name. It was pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-lease, sort of like [name_f]Alice[/name_f] with a french flair, if you catch my drift.

have you ever heard/seen this name before?

If you have, what was it spelled like?

If you haven’t, what would you think it would be spelled like or would be the best spelling to get this pronunciation?

Maybe [name_f]Elise[/name_f]? I’ve heard it pronounced different ways… I say Eh-leese, I’ve heard others say [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-leez. :slight_smile:

I’d say [name_f]Elise[/name_f]. That’s how I pronounce it (I do differentiate between ah-lease and eh-lease).

I know three women with this name - their spellings are:

[name_f]Allyce[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyse[/name_f]
[name_f]Alise[/name_f]

Its either [name_f]Elise[/name_f] or [name_f]Alize[/name_f]

the girl i know spells it [name_f]Alyse[/name_f]

I would think [name_f]Elise[/name_f] or [name_f]Elyse[/name_f].

I think that’s just the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] (assuming you meant “ah” like in “father”), so you’d spell it the same way. I’m not sure how I’d spell it differently to ensure an English speaker would pronounce it like that. Maybe [name_f]Aleece[/name_f], though personally I don’t really like how that looks.

If you want the “ah” sound you need to begin the name with an A. Beginning the name with an E will give you “eh” or “Ee” (long e) sound.

To get the “lease” sound…
leese/ leece
lease/ leace
lise (same as [name_f]Elise[/name_f])

Using a y as in lyce gives you a long I sound as in mice

So… Aleese, [name_f]Alease[/name_f], [name_f]Alise[/name_f]