How to write a book with two authors???

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I don’t know if anyone will be able to answer this, but if I wanted to write a book with my friend, how would I do that? I thought we could agree on basic aspects of the story, such as the characters’ names, personalities, their history, things like that, then just takes turns writing chapter and kind of make it up as we go along. I figure that would be fun, but may cause some slight confusion or disagreements. And then I thought that maybe we could collaborate on coming up with the story, and then one of us could write it. The thing is, I’m trying to get my friend into writing and I know if only one of us was writing then she would insist that I do it. I’m just wondering what method is normally used.
Thanks,
[name_m]Leo[/name_m] <3

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], [name_m]Leo[/name_m]. Good question. Well yes you could definitely co-write a novel with someone else. Of course there’d need to be a lot of communication between the two of you, there are a lot of novels written that way and if done thoughtfully and thoroughly an enjoyable book to read. You guys could either do a chapter after the other does one or even play different character perspectives (mind you, switching character perspective can be difficult, so if you choose this path I would suggest you do a little bit of reading about it and/or read books done that way). Another concern you might have had is whether or not your writing styles/ideas/genres etc are similar or not, either way it can work. If you two are both very similar writers it could turn out well and if you two have very different ideas like Tolkien meets Orwell it could still turn out amazing. Give it try, you never know how amazing and incredible something can be until you give it your best effort. But make sure that along with being creative and exploding with ideas and everything to also be insightful of your wprk, ask opinions and never stop reading and reading about reading.

All the best luck with your book and God bless

Sincerely, [name_f]Fifi[/name_f]

I’m actually doing that with my friend, and we had two main characters, so I would write one and she would write the other. We pretty much just switch off writing chapters. We have a main plot and then sort of make it up as we go along.

I’m co-writing fanfiction, and believe me, nothing has made me grow the most as a writer as having to write with someone else.

First of all, we fleshed out the whole story, the backbone of it, really, then we started coming up with all the additional chapters to get from point A to point B. We divide each chapter into scenes, and write them alternatively, or we write up to a point then the other picks up where I left off and vice versa. We write on Google Docs, and it’s been really helpful, because we can make suggestions or see the writing proces “live” and give the other input. Basically though, when we get to the point of writing, we have discussed much of what has to be included (sometimes we even have snippets of dialogue), so it’s pretty easy to agree on what has to be there.

What you guys need to do is discuss, discuss and discuss. Anything, really. We spent hours sometimes trying to find the perfect birthday gift or if they had marble or granite in their kitchen. Of course we take some liberties whenever we have a bit of room, but most of it is discussed in all the finest details. If you can agree on the course of action, you will be fine!

Good luck to you and your friend! :smiley:

You could always do something similar to what [name_m]David[/name_m] Levithan and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u] did with [name_m]Will[/name_m] [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], [name_m]Will[/name_m] [name_m]Grayson[/name_m]. Both main characters’ perspective was written by one author in alternating chapters.

When I used to write stories with my sister, we would play to our strengths. She was better at coming up with interesting details and twists, and I was best at writing things in a way that sounded great. We would both brainstorm characters, setting and actions, and I would write it all down, reading as I went. If she had something she wanted to change or better phrasing, she would tell me. If course, this approach works best when you can work very closely.

You could always ask her if she would like to do another book and you do the first book if you’re planning on having two books.