How would you describe a girl named...

I am trying to narrow down my long list of magical/fantastical names, and I’d love to get some feedback on the impressions they leave. When you hear these names, what sort of girl do you picture? Who is she, what does she look like, what personality traits come to mind?

I understand this is a long list, so don’t feel like you have to leave your impressions for each and every one. I’ll take what I can get :slight_smile:

Daranya
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Eirene[/name]
Elentari
[name]Elowen[/name]
Faerydae
[name]Faline[/name]
[name]Farasha[/name]
[name]Gwyneira[/name]
Illyria
Lirael
[name]Melusine[/name]
Namine
[name]Nephele[/name]
Niviera
[name]Oriel[/name]
[name]Reverie[/name]
Satia or Satya
[name]Senara[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name]
[name]Soraya[/name]
[name]Serenity[/name]
Tifareth
Tinuviel
Virelai

Thank you, Berries!

I’m only going to answer the names that i’ve heard of if thats OK :slight_smile:
[name]Delphine[/name] - she has long hair, she’s very care free and is beautiful of course
[name]Elowen[/name] - incredibly intellegent, nice looking but not stunning, strong, independent
[name]Oriel[/name] - kinda quirky, I imagine she has glasses.
Satia or Satya - lovely girl, comes across a little ditzy and silly but she’s actually really smart
[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name] - a stunning girl who has lots of friends
[name]Soraya[/name] - a bit of a wild child
[name]Serenity[/name] - she definitely has blonde hair, she does her own thing a lot too

That was really fun :slight_smile:

I love it! Thank you, those are exactly the sorts of impressions I’m looking for :slight_smile: It was especially interesting to see how you perceive [name]Oriel[/name], Satia/Satya, [name]Soraya[/name] and [name]Serenity[/name].

I’d love some more input if anyone else is interested!

[name]Delphine[/name] – Having met someone with this name, I now have only that association. So to me, [name]Delphine[/name] is a middle-aged woman, not terribly overweight but not thin, wears glasses, on the homely side, smiley and happy but you wouldn’t want to get on her bad side, and you can just sense that she does have a bad side.

[name]Elowen[/name] – Beautiful and sweet, compassionate, sympathetic, a good listener. Someone I would want to be friends with. I picture long brunette hair and dark eyes.

[name]Reverie[/name] – Intimidating, drop-dead gorgeous, entitled, very chic and fashionable, up on current trends, snobbish, takes ten minutes just to place her detailed Starbucks coffee order.

[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name] – petite, spunky, chatty, energetic, very cute and fun to be around.

[name]Soraya[/name] – Exotic. [name]Olive[/name] skin, long dark hair, very confident, privileged, popular, intimidating, smart.

Tifareth – I picture a plain, small-framed girl with straight brown shoulder-length hair with bangs, wears glasses, cute little upturned nose, on the quiet side but friendly, respectful, compliant, and polite.

Thank you alzora! [name]Reverie[/name] was the real surprise this time around…to me she’s such a dreamy, blue-and-green, Impressionistic sort of name…it never crossed my mind that she could be perceived as someone with so much [name]Fire[/name] energy! I’m also intrigued by your description of Tifareth. To me she’s one of the more edgy, exotic names, but your bookish description of her is perfectly charming :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your feedback!

Daranya - Russian, no-nonsense, doesn’t suffer fools.
[name]Delphine[/name] - I imagine someone who’s elegant in a very French way - not trying too hard, wears scarves well. Smart, but not showily so.
[name]Eirene[/name] - I think her as kind of silvery, mysterious, a pre-Raphaelite swan. But also substantial and present in her eyes.
Elentari - Heard outside of Tolkien, this one doesn’t feel nameish to me, so it’s hard to place. I think I see a tall, pale girl with long fingers.
[name]Elowen[/name] - Kind, a calm strong voice, a beautiful face worn by spending time outdoors. Very self-sufficient and comfortable in her skin.
Faerydae - I want to say a Goth girl with piercings and a grim outlook, but I just can’t picture that kind of Faerydae. Can you?
[name]Faline[/name] - I knew a [name]Faline[/name]. Well, a Faylin actually. Vegan parents, lots of allergies. [name]Fussy[/name].
[name]Farasha[/name] - Charming, with a flashing smile, sometimes ferocious.
[name]Gwyneira[/name] - This girl is trouble. She and Tinuviel got into a bottle of [name]Madeira[/name] while you were away, then put on your best dresses and took the neighbor’s doe-eyed son down to the lake…
Illyria - A dancer. A traveler. Shaved her head once to downplay her extraordinary beauty, wears men’s shirts and big shoes.
Lirael - Has six kids and a broken down trampoline in the front yard.
[name]Melusine[/name] - Reads voraciously. Dark hair. A good friend, quiet, sometimes goes by [name]Lucy[/name]. Collects improbable things.
Namine - Gamine. Doesn’t take life too seriously. [name]Street[/name]-smart, whistles fluently, unpredictable.
[name]Nephele[/name] - Very caring, a bit shaky emotionally. Blonde, runny nose.
Niviera - Tight jeans and attitude. Manipulative as a teenager, funny and cool as an adult.
[name]Oriel[/name] - [name]Innocent[/name], cheerful, always wears yellow gingham and eats lots of marmalade. No, actually, she’s serious, grounded. I guess it’s a versatile name, because I can picture her in many ways.
[name]Reverie[/name] - She hasn’t had enough difficulties in life. She has beautiful skin, careful habits and lots of plants that she nurtures, but she lacks strong relationships.
Satia or Satya - A journalist. Can talk you under the table and has a great laugh.
[name]Senara[/name] - A cellist. A little hard to get to know, but very connected and expressive through music.
[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name] - Complex, a trier, a seeker. Loves learning, very alert and engaged.
[name]Soraya[/name] - Warm and gentle. Unambitious, in the best way. Wide open face, loves animals.
[name]Serenity[/name] - I keep wanting to imagine [name]Serenity[/name] as a really hyper kid, chain-drinking cans of Coke.
Tifareth - Spry, spritely, sharp. Likes tricks and numbers.
Tinuviel - See [name]Gwyneira[/name]. Trouble. In a good way.
Virelai - A force of nature. [name]Earnest[/name] and joyful. [name]Strawberry[/name] blonde hair and freckles, knows how to sail a boat, speaks four languages. Her work is intensely demanding and she’s incredibly generous, never gets tired.

Emms!!! Omg you are officially my hero! I can’t believe you tackled all of them!

I’m in stitches over your portrayal of [name]Gwyneira[/name] and Tinuviel, they sound like [name]Anne[/name] and [name]Diana[/name] with the raspberry cordial. I love it. On the one hand I can’t see Faerydae as a hardcore goth…but then I think of [name]Kenzi[/name] from Lost Girl and suddenly I can totally picture it! And I have to say, you blew me out of the water with [name]Melusine[/name] nn [name]Lucy[/name]! The idea had never occurred to me, and I’m wild about it.

I see what you mean about Elentari being less name-y. I may have to rethink her. I’m also wavering on [name]Delphine[/name], [name]Nephele[/name], and occasionally even [name]Reverie[/name], just because she gets such mixed reviews.

[name]Love[/name] your portrayals of [name]Eirene[/name], [name]Elowen[/name], [name]Farasha[/name], Satia/Satya, [name]Senara[/name], [name]Seraphine[/name]/[name]Serafina[/name], [name]Soraya[/name], Tifareth, and Virelai. Did I mention that you’re awesome!

Thanks for giving me so much food for thought!

I’ll start with the disclaimer that although I think this is fun, I am slightly more… concrete than many other nameberry regulars and don’t do well with the “this name reminds me of raspberries” or “this name feels orange” sorts of threads.

Daranya: She’s the child of two unimaginative narcissistic parents called [name]Darrell[/name] and [name]Tanya[/name], who thought her name was the height of creative cleverness. She grew up in an exurb in [name]Texas[/name] in a house with plaid wallpaper and little rugs around the toilets.

[name]Delphine[/name]: I know two in real life; one is a doctor, member of the first class of women admitted to [name]Columbia[/name] University, and renowned for her excellent bedside manner. The other is a small girl in a disgustingly, filthy, obscenely rich family in San [name]Francisco[/name] who lives in one of those gorgeous castles on Nob [name]Hill[/name]. Her bedroom has already been photographed for 2 leading shelter magazines.

[name]Eirene[/name]: either a Greek girl in [name]Astoria[/name], studious and dutiful. Otherwise the daughter of two parents who are professional scholars of something delightfully arcane, like classical epigraphy. She’s dreamy and brainy and will make her living by her wits.

Elentari: she goes by [name]Ellen[/name] and is extremely embarrassed that her parents participate in Live Action Role Playing games on the weekends.

[name]Elowen[/name]: dreamy, ethereal, candyfloss hair, yet with a serious scholarly edge beneath the downy surface.

Faerydae: she goes by [name]Bella[/name]. On the first day of school, when her name is called out, she grits her teeth and says “Present! I go by [name]Bella[/name]!” while secretly counting down the days till she’s 18 and can change her name.

[name]Faline[/name]: She’s [name]Faline[/name] out of school, leaving her no recourse except to prostitute herself as a [name]Faline[/name] woman. Fortunately, she’s fond of cats and other faline creatures; her name is actually “[name]Celine[/name]” but she was just punched in the mouth and has difficulty enunciating.

[name]Farasha[/name]: darling girl who wore a hijab and you suddenly found married her cousin when she was 16, thus explaining her dropping out of school.

[name]Gwyneira[/name]: writes angsty poetry while mountaineering ropeless. Drums in a punk band but also studies Latin.

Illyria: pre-Raphaelite nymph frolicking in a shaded glen

Lirael: Never read the book her mom just adored

[name]Melusine[/name]: wears long skirts to cover that pesky serpent body

Namine: isn’t that the point of this website?

[name]Nephele[/name]: bookish, shy daughter of an atmospheric scientist and a classicist. Hates high school and can’t wait till she starts at her top college where she’ll finally make friends. You’ll read her pieces in the [name]New[/name] Yorker someday.

Niviera: what her dad said the morning after his drinking binge in [name]Cap[/name] Antibes. Oops! Too bad, she’s already on the way!

[name]Oriel[/name]: suffused with a faint patina reminiscent of tempura paints and parchment. Loves wilderness trekking and madrigals.

[name]Reverie[/name]: middle class airhead whose mother proudly says she “spoils her rotten.” Her dad calls her “princess” in an approving manner. She has a screechy voice and if you accidentally eavesdrop on one of her interminable conversations with her friends while at the mall you actually feel your IQ points melting away. She thinks Abercrombie and Gap are high fashion and, when she grows up, will be way into conspicuous consumption. She’s the person for whom “economy luxury sedans” and fake [name]Louis[/name] Vuitton bags were designed.

Satia or Satya: sweet, dutiful daughter of two extraodinarily hard-working people who own a Subway franchise. She has no choice but to become a doctor. If white-- daughter of people trying desperately to reincarnate the 70s. There might or might not be drum circles in the house.

[name]Senara[/name]: unobtrusive, observant, sunny girl. As lovely as the legends surrounding her name.

[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name]: tempestuous dark-haired girl who is dramatic, emotional, and fascinating.

[name]Soraya[/name]: daughter of a wealthy Persian family whose roots in the Iranian upper classes stretch back into antiquity. Her manners are extremely refined; she speaks several languages fluently; her home is full of spicy woods and priceless antiquities. She is an ophthalmologist but only desultorily; her family’s real estate investments make working a pleasure rather than a necessity.

[name]Serenity[/name]: she weighs about 250 lbs and is stuffed into stained pale pink Juicy Couture sweats that show every dimple on her thighs. Her hair is slicked back in a greasy ponytail and she watches a lot of anime. if she could lose 100 lbs, she’d start dancing at the [name]Kitty[/name] [name]Kat[/name] down near the interstate, but as it is she stays in the trailer and watches her sister’s kids during the day.

Tifareth: she was named for her mom’s World of Warcraft character. She’s a B-C student and wants to study marketing when she graduates. She likes hanging out with her friends and that guy [name]Aidan[/name] in 3rd hour English. She’s on the JV cheerleading squad and her favorite book is [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name].

Tinuviel: fiercely independent and a free spirit. Enjoys amateur astronomy, playing the viola, and long lonely walks with her dog and her thoughts.

Virelai: daughter of two poets who have actually published. Teased at her good private school as “virile” and “virulent,” but shrugged it off.

[name]Delphine[/name] - Impossibly thin French woman. I picture pale ash-brown hair that is almost blond but very cold, gray eyes, and exquisite bone structure.

[name]Elowen[/name] - I picture a meld of [name]Arwen[/name] and [name]Eowyn[/name] from LOTR, so regal and powerful but also a bit faery-like. Pre-Raphaelite and romanticized, not as grubby/gritty as true Medieval. Her hair could be light or dark, curly or straight, but its incredibly long, waist-length at least.

[name]Gwyneira[/name] - [name]Black[/name] hair, blue eyes, a gothic-infused retelling of the [name]Snow[/name] White story basically. I do love this name.

I’m giving this a go… These are literally the first things that pop into my head.

Daranya - She grew up in a Russian orphanage. When she was 15 she started selling strawberries by the road, saving up money a little at a time to get her out of there.
[name]Delphine[/name] - She lives in Sorbonne, works at the museum of the middle ages. She always has lunch in Square de [name]Cluny[/name], looking at the beautiful flowers and reading old books.
[name]Eirene[/name] - [name]Calm[/name] and quiet, but with lots of inner strength. She looks like a painting by [name]Dante[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] Rossetti.
Elentari - She bought a beehive at 21 after years of worrying about them becoming instinct. She wishes her parents had given her a more normal middle name, she gets tired of people’s comments on her name but can’t face changing it as she doesn’t want to hurt her parents feeling.
[name]Elowen[/name] - A poet, or she wants to be. She does translating on the side, and rides her bike everywhere. She’s also fabulous baker.
Faerydae - Her parents were hippies, she grew up in a liberal home. She left when she was 16 and traveled the world. When she came back, she was a shaman.
[name]Faline[/name] - A hot tempered young lady. She’s passionate and very intelligent, she wants to change the world but doesn’t quiet know where to start.
[name]Farasha[/name] - She’s funny and smart, a little complicated.
[name]Gwyneira[/name] - The strange girl at school. She’s a feminist, reads poetry and drinks absinth. Only wears dresses; lace, velvet and silk, always lots of jewelry and deep red lipstick.
Illyria - A flower child. She wears beautiful chiffon dresses and runs barefoot through the meadows, picking bluebells and daisies. Her hair is blonde and curly and waves in the wind. She always laughs and smiles, a wild creature. She smells like the ocean, in a good way.
Lirael - She works at a animal shelter, she has three dogs, two cats and a bunny in her tiny flat. She’s always got people sleeping at her sofa, she hates turning people away. She can’t watch the news, she gets to sad from all the horrors in the world.
[name]Melusine[/name] - She’s a florist, she has an amazing little shop with all the most beautiful flowers you can imagine. She reads science fiction novels, has a little daughter and drives a bad ass motorbike.
Namine - She’s seen an angel three times, always in the garden at night. She doesn’t tell anyone, cause she’s afraid they’ll think she’s crazy. She dabbles in magic from time to time, but always gets scared by what happens.
[name]Nephele[/name] - Went to art school and studied fabric print. She makes her own dream catchers, and gives them as presents to all her friends. She has two cats, loves herbal tee and has five tarot decks. Her home smells pleasantly of jasmine and rose.
Niviera - Sweet and fun, with lots of attitude. Hates in when people say her name sounds like a mush of Nivea and the [name]Riviera[/name]…
[name]Oriel[/name] - A serious one, but with a twinkle in her eye. She studies latin and is an expert on butterflies.
[name]Reverie[/name] - [name]Reverie[/name]'s mum has always called her princess. She started studying at Cambridge, but in her first semester she met a fire eater, and now she travels with the circus. She’s training to be a knife thrower.
Satia or Satya - Her parents were both brought up in [name]India[/name]. She’s truly british, she love tea in the afternoon, tweed and hunting.
[name]Senara[/name] - She’s kind, passionate and selfless, she became a nurse to work for Médecins Sans Frontières.
[name]Seraphine[/name] or [name]Serafina[/name] - She loves everything vintage, and collects hats. She works in a little shop in an upmarket neighbourhood, and drives a vintage [name]Vespa[/name]. She only listens to operas and classical music. Her flat has no electric light, only a fireplace and lots and lot of candles.
[name]Soraya[/name] - She works at the local organic shop, gets up every morning at 5 to do pilates and take a walk with her dog along the river. She desperately wants to see the whole world, but her conscience won’t let her go on a plane…
[name]Serenity[/name] - I imagine a) a day dreamer who sits in class doodling in her notebooks or b) a wayward girl in the rehab wing at the hospital, trying to shake her amphetamine addiction once and for all.
Tifareth - She’s a loner, she wants to be a mathematician. She also loves to play the viola.
Tinuviel - A painter. She lives in a old fisherman’s cottage by the sea, takes long walks in the rain through the muddy forest and loves going out on the sea in her little boat.
Virelai - Her mother wanted a sweet little princess, but got a cheeky little monkey instead. Virelai loves mountaineering and rafting, she plays football and drinks like a fish. She’s spunky and funny, always surrounded by admirers.

[name]Blade[/name], you are what my [name]Maine[/name] friend calls “wicked pissah.” Your description of [name]Faline[/name] cracked me up.

[name]Ottilie[/name], I want to believe that you are a combination of all these wondrous characters you describe.

Can we have a party and invite [name]Gwyneira[/name], Virelai, Tinuviel, [name]Serafina[/name], Illyria, [name]Elowen[/name], [name]Soraya[/name], [name]Senara[/name], Satya, and [name]Oriel[/name]?
Maybe even [name]Nephele[/name] and Faerydae. They need to get out of the house more.

Oh my goodness, you guys, you’re a riot!

I’m surprised Daranya reads as Russian to everyone. It’s actually Hausa, Old Persian, and Hindi, meaning “heavy clouds rolling back before the sunrise”, “golden”, and “to stand in awe” respectively. Although I think the Hindi version also means “fearful” too, depending.

[name]Blade[/name], no disclaimer is needed. Raspberries and orange aren’t as influential to my naming process as the actual associations that come with a name and the way it’s perceived :slight_smile: And you are cracking me up! If you ever get tired of the surgeon-ing, I think you’d make a smashing satirist on the side!
I love your descriptions of [name]Eirene[/name], [name]Elowen[/name], [name]Gwyneira[/name], Illyria, [name]Senara[/name], [name]Seraphine[/name]/[name]Serafina[/name], [name]Soraya[/name], and Tinuviel. To address a few of your comments:
Elentari: ACK NO LARPING!!! I may play D&D every [name]Saturday[/name] night, but you won’t find any Boots of Escaping here! >>
Faerydae: She would definitely be a middle, not a first. In all seriousness, do you foresee her wanting to change her name? Because I’m that girl, and I’d feel perfectly horrid if I did that to my child.
[name]Faline[/name]: [name]Blade[/name], darling, you are an absolute [name]TRIP[/name].
Namine: pronounced nah-min-ay…I assumed it was a fairly intuitive pronunciation based on names like [name]Nerine[/name], am I wrong?
[name]Reverie[/name]: I shudder at the very thought of meeting this person in real life @
@
[name]Serenity[/name]: YIKES! Did I miss the down-market memo? Because all my associations with [name]Serenity[/name] are picturesque zen scenes of rippling water, white cranes, round windows, and sakura trees…or the soulful Firefly theme and the melting pot of [name]Asian[/name] fusion, frontier blues, and trip-hop that is the Bastion soundtrack.

stripedsocks: I love your take on [name]Gwyneira[/name] as a gothic [name]Snow[/name] White! That’s exactly the same vibe that I get, with a dash of the Arthurian romance because of her similarity to [name]Guinevere[/name].

Otts, I always knew we were kindred spirits, but this clinches the deal! I love your descriptions of [name]Elowen[/name], Faerydae, Lirael, [name]Melusine[/name], [name]Oriel[/name], [name]Reverie[/name], Satia/Satya, [name]Soraya[/name], and Virelai…but my most favorites are [name]Gwyneira[/name], Illyria, Namine, [name]Nephele[/name], [name]Serafina[/name], and Tinuviel! I agree with Ems, I sort of see you as an infusion of all of these magical qualities :wink:

[name]Emmy[/name], I don’t know if any party could contain that much fabulousity, but it would be hella fun to find out!

I’ll do the ones that pop out at me.

[name]Elowen[/name] - Irish, but a dark Irish. Quiet but strong.

[name]Gwyneira[/name] - European, Welsh perhaps, strawberry-blonde and tall. Gentle yet playful.

[name]Reverie[/name] - American with brown hair and medium height. Tomboy-ish and loud.

[name]Senara[/name] - Spanish or Mexican with long dark hair and a sassy attitude.

[name]Soraya[/name] - Russian perhaps with sharp features and soft eyes. Kind but firm.

[name]Serenity[/name] - American, thin and blonde. Shy with bright blue eyes.

Thanks for letting me take the proverbial piss a bit. In all seriousness I do not think Faerydae, even in the middle, is remotely usable. Any more than plain [name]Fairy[/name].

[name]Serenity[/name] = [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name], and the kinds of people who name their children after [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name] characters.

It sounds like a smoosh of [name]Darinka[/name] and [name]Anya[/name], that’s why (for me)!

I’m glad you liked them! Kindred spirits, I like that! I might have poured some of my personality or quirks in there… and that party would be cool and fun I think, almost disturbing :wink:

anajo - thanks for your feedback! I especially like your description of [name]Elowen[/name]!

blade - anytime :slight_smile: I don’t know if I can let go of Faerydae just yet…with all the [name]Fae[/name]/[name]Faye[/name]/[name]Fey[/name]/Faraday-ses in the world, maybe there’s room somewhere for one little Faerydae to sneak in… I had totally forgotten about the [name]Sailor[/name] [name]Moon[/name] [name]Serenity[/name]! Used to love that show when I was a kid.

otter - yeah, I think Daranya has to go…I luffs her so much, but she’s just not right for a kiddo of mine.

Thanks to you guys, the list is steadily shrinking! I’ll post the newly shortened version on my “middles for [name]Alice[/name]” thread. You rock!