How would you describe this?

I cannot figure out how to describe one of my character’s hair. I like having descriptions of all of my characters’ appearances, even if it’s just for my own personal records, but I just can’t think of the right word to use. The best picture I can find for what I have in mind is this but a little bit longer (not quite shoulder length but below the chin). Any thoughts on what to call that?

1 Like

Like, the length? I’d say a bob. [name_u]Or[/name_u] you could say something like this:

Their hair fell between their shoulder and their chin…

Lol, that seems a little obvious! Also, you could call it medium-length. I don’t know if this helps!

1 Like

Hmm, a choppy, chin-length cut, perhaps. Maybe just give the basics as an introduction, and then sprinkle a bit more detail (like bangs, spiky, feathery, fly-away, uneven, however you think of it) throughout when it’s appropriate, to avoid an overwhelming description?

2 Likes

you can just write what you told us, not quite shoulder length but below the chin. There doesn’t have to be fancy word for it, especially if it’s only for your own records.
If you want it to be more poetic than that, you can weave a little story into it, like “her hair used to reach her shoulders, but now she cut it a little shorter, but still long enough for a tiny pony tail/to give her that whoosh feeling whenever she moved her head/…”

1 Like