How would you feel if you met a baby named?

Okay well I was thinking about four names and I was wondering what would your guys reaction be if you guys met one of these people in real life with these names…?

Hecate/Hekate 
  Circe
  Lilith
  Nyx
2 Likes

I’d be worried about using names of deities, but they sound beautiful and that would be my first thought! x

I feel like [name_f]Hecate[/name_f] and [name_f]Circe[/name_f] would be fine, [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] and [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] might raise a few eyebrows.

[name_f]Hecate[/name_f] - hmm very interesting name…
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - Game of thrones fan?
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - [name_f]Do[/name_f] you call her [name_f]Lily[/name_f]?
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u] - hmm very interesting name…

I think [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is the only easily usable one. I’m not sure what the eyebrow raising people are suggesting is about.

They’re all beautiful names! I think [name_f]Hecate[/name_f] and [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] would be well-received. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] might raise a few eyebrows but it’s very pretty. Unfortunately [name_f]Circe[/name_f] is a bit of a sound-alike to [name_f]Cersei[/name_f] (Lannister, Game of Thrones) who is quite the villainous character and would probably be an association for many.

Hekate- i’d think the parents were into witchcraft
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]- Game of thrones fans
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]- Feminist parents.
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u]- edgy version of a classic name (nick)

I love the name [name_f]Hestia[/name_f] for a girl (Greek goddess of the home). But, my husband and I have ultimately decided that it is too much and a little too weird to name her after a Greek [name_f]Goddess[/name_f]. [name_f]Athena[/name_f] has been pulled into modernity and is used as a name, especially in Greece. [name_f]Hestia[/name_f], [name_f]Circe[/name_f], Hecata, [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] aren’t used as names and are really only associated with the ancient goddesses. For us, we decided it wouldn’t work even though we loved the name [name_f]Hestia[/name_f]. [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] particularly seems a little edgy, especially since she’s the goddess of night

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] is a nice name, but has some edgy connotations. In some Jewish traditions, she was Adam’s first wife. Christians would consider the concept offensive. I think there are also demonic associations as some thought she was a demon, I believe. I’d think the parents were anti-Christian and very feminist.

Although none of them are my personal style (except [name_u]Nyx[/name_u], love her!), I’d probably be excited to see them in real life!

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] sounds very sweet and familiar but it’s hard to say! [name_f]Circe[/name_f], [name_f]Hecate[/name_f], and [name_u]Nyx[/name_u] are very unique but a little out there for me. However, I do think that the style of these names is becoming more and more popular so I do think that they’re usable.

[name_u]Nyx[/name_u] would definitely be an intriguing one to come across I real life, but I like it! I’d also be hugely exited to meet a [name_f]Circe[/name_f] or a [name_f]Hecate[/name_f]. [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] wouldn’t surprise me at all tbh, I know two Liliths myself, even with the connotations.

[name_f]Hecate[/name_f] - so cool!
[name_f]Circe[/name_f] - so cool!
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] - I guess they liked the feminist side…
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u] - so cool!

I love them all but Greek ancestry here and a love of Greek mythology in [name_m]General[/name_m] :blush:

I’d love to meet a [name_f]Circe[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] and [name_u]Nyx[/name_u]!

[name_f]Hecate[/name_f] makes me think of [name_u]Penny[/name_u] Dreadful.

I like [name_f]Circe[/name_f], but I fear it would be mispronounced by anyone who isn’t a fan of Greek Mythology.

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] feels the most wearable despite the history behind it.

[name_u]Nyx[/name_u] seems insubstantial on its own, but it would be a good nickname for [name_u]Phoenix[/name_u].

That the parents were big fans of mythology, Greek or “posh” Londoners.

Hecate & Circe - that’s interesting !! i wonder if they use nn’s
Lilith - that’s cute (common/normal enough to not surprise me)
Nyx - cool! (i’d also probably think of the makeup brand)

I would definitely double take if I heard [name_f]Hecate[/name_f] or [name_u]Nyx[/name_u], they’re a bit out there but that doesn’t bother me. I’d honestly be so excited if I met a [name_f]Hecate[/name_f] or [name_u]Nyx[/name_u].

[name_f]Lilith[/name_f] has some bad connotations so I would be like “really?”, but at the same time it’s a pretty name and I’d be excited to meet someone with such a cool name.

[name_f]Circe[/name_f] would draw my attention, but it’s the most tame out of the four.

It’s not a super huge deal, but I was very surprised no one else mentioned the makeup brand NYX. I’m not at all into cosmetics, and was a massive greek mythology nerd growing up, but NYX is still my first association with the name [name_u]Nyx[/name_u].

These are strong baddass girl names! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Very cool, personally I love it

[name_f]Hecate[/name_f], I’d think well, wiccan parents, kind of a lot to put on a kid
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f], just sounds like a permanent lisp to me, plus Frasier’s ex
[name_f]Circe[/name_f], cool sounding name
[name_u]Nyx[/name_u] is a kind of lice powder I think