How would you honor Martin Luther...

without actually using [name]Martin[/name] or [name]Luther[/name]? My dad is big into the whole family tree thing, and he recently shared that it’s a possibility that one of our ancestors was an aide to [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] (which I find, quite frankly, amazing. I’ve grown up looking up to the reformers and martyrs of Christendom, and a tie to [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] is just too cool, imo!). I like the idea of incorporating that into my list somehow, but I’m not terribly fond of [name]Martin[/name] (which feels a bit drab and mid-1900s to me) or [name]Luther[/name] (which is okay, and interesting, but I can’t help but only think of [name]Lex[/name] [name]Luthor[/name] and [name]Luther[/name] Vandross, which aren’t really what I’m going for). Any ideas? I figure [name]Caleb[/name] 95 Theses “[name]Roberts[/name]” wouldn’t be the best combo… :slight_smile:

[name]Martin[/name]:

[name]Marcus[/name]
[name]Marius[/name]
[name]Mattias[/name]
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Marlon[/name]
[name]Marley[/name]
[name]Marvin[/name]

[name]Luther[/name]:

[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Lucian[/name]/[name]Lucien[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]/[name]Luz[/name] (though I prefer these ones for girl)
[name]Luca[/name]/[name]Luka[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]/[name]Luis[/name]

[name]EDIT[/name]: Maybe [name]Calvin[/name], after [name]John[/name] [name]Calvin[/name] and Calvinism? He was another reformer whom I believe based his work off of [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name].

EDIT 2x: Or potentially ML as your son’s initials?

You could name a son [name]Paul[/name] or [name]Augustine[/name] after his religious influences or [name]Hans[/name] or [name]Johannes[/name] after his father. Or, [name]Frederick[/name] after [name]Frederick[/name] III who harbored him. You could also go with [name]Katharina[/name] (after his wife) or [name]Magdalena[/name], [name]Margarethe[/name] or [name]Elisabeth[/name] (after his daughters) for a girl.

I like [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name], too.
Here’s what I’ve got. Some of them are a bit of a stretch, I’ll admit.
I like the suggestions of [name]Augustine[/name] or [name]Paul[/name] as those were [name]Luther[/name]'s main influences.
Wittenburg- as that was where [name]Luther[/name] first posted the 95 thesis.
[name]Roland[/name] or Bainton as he is the foremost Lutheran scholar.
[name]Saxon[/name] or [name]Saxony[/name] - the area of Germany where [name]Luther[/name] did most of his ministry
Beaufort- The Beautiful [name]Fort[/name]- a nod to “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” [name]Luther[/name]'s most famous hymn. Other names that mean fort/fortress or something similar- Caerwyn, [name]Carlyle[/name], [name]Cary[/name], [name]Lancaster[/name], [name]Shea[/name], Thurl
[name]Luther[/name] was traveling with a man named [name]Justus[/name] [name]Jonas[/name] when he died. I like [name]Jonas[/name] better than [name]Justus[/name] but I think both are usable.
[name]Luther[/name]'s last words were- “We are beggars. It is true.” Names that mean true- [name]Emmett[/name], [name]Verity[/name], or [name]Alethia[/name] (for a girl). The name [name]Deacon[/name] comes from a greek word which means servant. So, not quite the same as beggar but it is a nice name [name]IMO[/name].
[name]Amadeus[/name]/[name]Amedeo[/name]/[name]Amadeo[/name] mean Lover of God, which could be a general association with your lineage.
[name]Do[/name] you know what your ancestor was named?

Maybe you could use the initials ML? [name]Marston[/name] [name]Lucas[/name]? [name]Merrick[/name] [name]Levi[/name]?

[name]Lexie[/name], I do like [name]Augustine[/name]. And I could possibly elongate my [name]Jack[/name] combo to be [name]Jack[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] [name]Cole[/name] instead of [name]Jack[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Cole[/name]? or [name]Jack[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] [something]? Although I feel like it’s almost in honor of [name]Augustine[/name], rather than [name]Luther[/name]. Hmm. I really quite like the idea of [name]Frederick[/name], though! I was already trying to get [name]Frederick[/name] on my list a la [name]Captain[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] Wentworth of [name]Jane[/name] [name]Austen[/name] fame. :slight_smile: It would be a nice nod to both namesakes. [name]Elisabeth[/name] is already on my list ([name]Hazel[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Grace[/name]), and might be a second time if I go for [name]Eva[/name] [name]Clara[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name], as well, and I do like [name]Katharina[/name], but those seem a bit farfetched to me, too.

@domestikated - Oh, my, I love so many of your ideas! I think [name]Saxon[/name] is fab–I’ve loved it for a while–and I’ve been thinking about [name]Justus[/name], actually! And I love [name]Jonas[/name] (which also happens to honor my grandmother–which would be a bonus!), and I quite like [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Verity[/name], although they seem like they might be a stretch. I love [name]Amadeus[/name], but it seems more like it’d be in honor of [name]Mozart[/name] if anyone. Not that I mind, [name]Mozart[/name]'s my favorite composer, and I’ve been trying to get [name]Amadeus[/name] on my list as a middle in his honor. It just seems like a bit of a stretch for [name]Luther[/name].

[name]Ah[/name], right, also–I don’t know the name of the family member. When my dad was talking about it, he said the aide’s surname was Kauffmann, which was my grandmother’s maiden name. So that’s really all I have to go off of atm.

I have no help but… We might be relatives! My grandpa says there is a Bible somewhere in the family that shows our connection to Martian [name]Luther[/name] but since he saw it as a teenager, he no longer can remember what relative has it. He has been searching to prove the connection by outside means, but I have not heard anything.

[name]Hope[/name] you enjoy your search and find the perfect name!

A tie to [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] is cool indeed! You already have some great suggestions and ideas to pursue above; I wanted to add that in choosing [name]Peregrine[/name], a bird name, for her baby boy, saracita00 considered that they were honoring both [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] (since [name]Martin[/name] can also be considered a bird name) and [name]John[/name] Huss (the surname Huss apparently means “goose.”) It’s a bit of a stretch, and only one of many reasons she and her husband loved the name, but a bird name might be another idea to pursue.

Best wishes!

Edited for privacy.

@rushli - Martian [name]Luther[/name]. hahaha. That would be cool, though! My dad says its not [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name] we’re relatives of, but possibly one of his closest aides/lieutenants (I’m not sure what they were called!).

@saracita00 - I did remember giving bird name suggestions, but I had forgotten the reasoning behind it! Thanks for the wee history lesson. :slight_smile: That’s a really cool story, and I’m sure my dad would get a kick out of me using [name]Eagle[/name] (not sure it’s really namey enough, though)–he’s a huge Eagles fan. He would probably much prefer that to the [name]Luther[/name] connection, hahaha. And honestly, I’m not a huge fan of most of my family names. But I love my family, haha. I don’t really “get” the whole family surname thing, most of them are long and [name]German[/name]/Swiss and really boring (or ugly, haha). I suppose Kauffmann is more direct, but growing up around hoards of Kauffmanns–I think more of the living family members rather than the aide to [name]Martin[/name] [name]Luther[/name].

I’m really loving [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Saxon[/name]/[name]Saxony[/name], though! I had been tossing around [name]Boaz[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] before–and I like it even more now! I’m also thinking about [name]Charles[/name] [name]Justus[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] [name]Saxon[/name]/[name]Charles[/name] _____ [name]Saxon[/name]…

Oops, I guess I read through to fast! Still a ‘small’ world though!

I’m thanking saracita00 for the history, too–obviously I’d forgotten many of the details! I knew there was a bird connection…

Edited for privacy.

Och, can you tell it’s been too long since middle school Bible history lessons? :slight_smile: I am really loving [name]Charles[/name] [name]Saxon[/name], though! :frowning: [name]Do[/name] you think too many people would notice? Maybe I should just opt for [name]Boaz[/name] [name]Frederick[/name], then, although I think I’d miss [name]Boaz[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] that I had been considering earlier. Hmm.

Or maybe just opt for [name]Saxon[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] instead? I’m not sure how much I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] for me as a FN, though–I love that [name]Alex[/name] O’[name]Loughlin[/name] has a son named [name]Saxon[/name] (honestly, I love [name]Lion[/name], too, so I must just love his style…), but I’m not sure I can see me with a [name]Saxon[/name]…

As for Hans/Johann, that probably wouldn’t be too much of a worry, but what about Saxon and Johanna as siblings? Would that be a no-no, do you think?

Edited for privacy.

Yeah, no, that was my worry with [name]Saxon[/name] and [name]Johanna[/name].

[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] is really handsome! I don’t know what I would follow that up with–I’d want a name to honor my siblings/parents/grandparents, too, since those are the family I know, and has been there for me personally. [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] [name]Gray[/name], perhaps… I’m quite happy with my current [name]Samuel[/name] combo ([name]Samuel[/name] [name]Gaspard[/name] [name]John[/name]), though–[name]Gaspard[/name] in honor of my best friend (who nearly had a [name]Caspar[/name], although she liked [name]Gaspard[/name] more). She passed away in 2011. And [name]John[/name] is in honor of my dad and brother.

I like [name]Everett[/name] [name]Saxon[/name], too, but not quite so much as [name]Everett[/name] [name]Joshua[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. I kind of like [name]Asher[/name] [name]Frederick[/name], but it wouldn’t really go with the family name I had picked out ([name]Zane[/name])–I like [name]Asher[/name] [name]Frederick[/name], and [name]Asher[/name] [name]Zane[/name], but [name]Asher[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Zane[/name] sort of clashes, to me?

I don’t know, I was thinking of something like [name]Charles[/name] [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] or [name]Charles[/name] [name]Elijah[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] or [name]Charles[/name] [something] [name]Saxon[/name] ([name]Charles[/name] [name]Emmett[/name] [name]Saxon[/name]?!), so I don’t think it would be as bad… I had also been tossing around [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]Darcy[/name], and [name]Hugo[/name] as middle names for [name]Charles[/name], as well…

Edited for privacy.

Hmm, I like [name]Charles[/name] [name]Ezra[/name] (but [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Zane[/name] seems like too much “Z”), [name]Asher[/name] [name]Frederick[/name] (maybe with [name]John[/name]–I’m not sure! I think I like [name]Frederick[/name] more with [name]Boaz[/name], though…), [name]Asher[/name] [name]Emmett[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] (but with a two-syllable surname, I absolutely refuse to go near a 2-2-2 combo, ever), and meh, I sort of like [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Gaspard[/name] [name]Hugo[/name], but I’m fairly set that if I keep [name]Joseph[/name] on my list, it’ll be [name]Joseph[/name] L____ Brave or [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Lev[/name] B_____. In honor of my grandfather, whose initials were L. B. He didn’t have a real name, just two initials, lol, so that’s really all I’ve got to work with. I’ve tossed around [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Lev[/name] [name]Booker[/name] and [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Linus[/name] Brave, but I’m not set on either one, really. Ideally, I’d go for [name]Joseph[/name] [name]Lev[/name] Brave, but that’s too many short one-syllable names ending in "V"s! I’m not opposed to 1-1 flow for combos–my grandmother was [name]Ruth[/name] [name]Mae[/name] so it feels very reminiscent of her–but I just don’t think [name]Lev[/name] Brave works, haha.

Edited for privacy.

Mmm, yes, it’s one of the very few combos I like with [name]Charles[/name] up front. I had also been thinking [name]Charles[/name] [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Darcy[/name] or [name]Charles[/name] [name]Ezra[/name] [name]Shepherd[/name]. [name]Darcy[/name] for Mr. [name]Darcy[/name], of course, and [name]Shepherd[/name] is a mixed honoring of both my faith/[name]Jesus[/name] with the ties to the Nativity, but also to my sister, who is a [name]Natalie[/name]. She and I both have [name]Christmas[/name] names, so I love the idea of using a [name]Christmas[/name] name to honor her.

Hmm, [name]Saxony[/name] might solve some problems! [name]Boaz[/name] [name]Saxony[/name] is just way too unusual, isn’t it? I figured with such an obscure Biblical FN, I needed something more classic to balance it out.

[name]Bravery[/name] is awesome, but for some reason I just can’t get behind it. I like Brave so much more… Besides, I really don’t want to rule out [name]Avery[/name]! It’s such a special family name (which also has ties to my grandfather!), and I don’t know if you know of Adventures in Odyssey, being a [name]Christian[/name] and all, but if you do, you can understand the appeal of [name]John[/name] [name]Avery[/name] [name]Whittaker[/name] as a namesake. :slight_smile:

And yes, I like [name]Everett[/name] [name]Saxon[/name] much more than [name]Emmett[/name] [name]Saxon[/name], but honestly, if I had to pick one boys’ combo that I love more than any other, that I’ve never had any doubts about, that I’m nearly giddy to use… it would be [name]Everett[/name] [name]Joshua[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. It’s not that I don’t like any other [name]Everett[/name] combos, I just don’t see that combo changing. At all. [name]Ever[/name]. :slight_smile: It’s just perfection for me, I think that’s the par by which I judge every other combo I come up against, haha.