how would you pronouce ...

[name]Esme[/name] ?

I have always said Es-me but I have recently heard Es-may, just wondering which is right or how most people would say it

thank-you :slight_smile:

I say Ez-may

The correct way is Ez-may.

Yep, it’s Ez-may.

The French is technically ez-may but in the UK it is usually EZ-mee.

I believe it all comes from the fact that [name]Esme[/name] was used in the 1500s by the Scottish royal family. The first Scottish (male) bearer was [name]Duke[/name] of [name]Lennox[/name] whose mother was French. The name became very popular in [name]Scotland[/name] (which they pronounced ‘EZ-mee’) after that and then [name]England[/name].

ditto on the Ez-may

thank-you everyone :slight_smile:

Are we certain it’s still pronounced Ez-mee in the UK? I’ve only ever heard Ez-may here, although I’ve only met a few.

I, too, say it EZ-may, and that’s the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced. I think it’s beautiful. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

EZ-may, ditto everyone.

This. :slight_smile:

Well, when I was a supply/substitute teacher I met at least 5 Esmes here in [name]England[/name] and they were all EZ-mee. Sometimes I’ve seen it spelt Esmee. That is also how I have heard it on TV, unless the parents are specifically going for the original French pronunciation.

I think we Brits have the option for either (as EZ-mee is so established) but I’d expect in other countries it would be the “proper” EZ-may pronunciation.