How would you pronounce Alasdair

Would you pronounce it like [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] or [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] ([name_m]Al[/name_m]-lis-ter/tuh)which is my preference
or would you pronounce it ([name_m]Al[/name_m]-lis-der/duh/[name_m]Al[/name_m]-lis-dare). Does anyone speak/understand Scottish gaelic that could help me. Both me and hubby are scottish but several generations back. I would love to use the original spelling as while I could settle with [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], I love the look of [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] and would love to use this spelling and proper pronunciation. Thanks.

[name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] I would say “[name_f]Alice[/name_f]-dare”, like [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]/[name_m]Alastair[/name_m] just with a D.

Same as sparkle ninja

I agree with sparkleninja, I pronounce [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]: alice-STAIR whereas [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] (to me): alice-DARE.

I second the previous poster [name_m]Al[/name_m]-es-dair spoken quickly the s-d resembles a t yes and its basically [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], its a pretty name & I like it spelled with either and I think honoring heritage is great.

Thanks for the feedback, many of the sources I’ve used suggest it pronounced [name_m]Al[/name_m]-lis-ter/tuh. This feedback is useful though to consider possible pronunciation issues with this spelling. Maybe it’ll be easier to stick with one of the anglicised spelling, if anyone has more feedback feel free to comment

To get the pronunciation you want, I would spell it [name_m]Alister[/name_m] or Allister like the surname McAlister/McAllister.

I guess I’m the oddball. I say al-iss-stir. Like the name McAllister. With the D though I would be tempted to say al-iss-dare.

I’m Scottish (as in I’ve lived here most of my life) and I know a lot of Alistairs/Alasdairs of various spellings. [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is the original spelling, all other spellings are the English variations, and they are all generally pronounced Aliss-Stur or Aliss-Ster depending on accent.

It’s pronounced [name_m]AL[/name_m]-is-ter.

I love [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m], and I say [name_m]AL[/name_m]-iss-də (although I do like the nn Dare). It sounds pretty much the same as how I say [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] etc. which is [name_m]AL[/name_m]-iss-tə. [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is just a little softer because of the ‘də’ sound.

Thank you for confirming what I thought based on my limited knowledge of gaelic. Which spelling is more prevalent in [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] curiously the original or one of the variations ?

In the south of [name_f]Scotland[/name_f] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Alister[/name_m] are both equally common, but in the north, [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] is definetly most popular, though all three are perfectly normal everywhere. I’ve seen a couple of other variations, but they aren’t nearly as common, and I’ve never seen it spelled with two Ls as a first name.

I’m Scottish and I know a boy with this name. It’s [name_m]Al[/name_m]-is-dur. Never -dair. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

[name_m]Al[/name_m]-lis-dare is how I say it. I’m American and have no knowledge of Scottish/Gaelic.

I would probably pronounce it [name_m]Alas[/name_m]-dare. I’m not a Scottish expert so would be more likely to pronounce it how it’s spelled.

I pronounce [name_m]Alastair[/name_m], [name_m]Alister[/name_m] & [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] as Alice-stare and [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m] to me would be pronounced as Alice-dare. I’m Scottish too but born in [name_u]America[/name_u] and I pronounce [name_m]Alastair[/name_m], [name_m]Alister[/name_m], [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] differently from [name_m]Alasdair[/name_m]. I’m also not a Scottish Gaelic expert so

old topic