How would you pronounce Ayricin?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries,

One of the male MC’s in my fantasy novel is named Ayricin.
I’m pronouncing it ‘Air-i-sin’.
[name_m]Just[/name_m] wondered if the current spelling matches that for readers, or if I need to change some letters - especially the ‘c’, which may need to become ‘s’?

Thank you!

I assumed it was AY-rih-sin (first syllable rhyming with hay or day). So pretty close but not quite “air” with the first syllable.

I can see the pronunciation you’re going for from the current spelling, and I think the C being pronounced like an S is clear. But I like the idea of spelling the first syllable with ‘air’ – maybe Airicyn so you keep the Y in there? [name_u]Or[/name_u] Arrison like [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] without the H, though I could see people pronouncing the first syllable like the word “are” with that spelling. Airisyn or Airisin could also work.

2 Likes

Same!

At first I went with Ay rhyming with hay, and my second guess would be air like Ayrshire :slight_smile:

Thanks for feedback so far. He’s been Airicin and Aricin in the past but was told that sounded too much like [name_m]Harrison[/name_m] without the H, or Ay-rice-in :sweat_smile:

I would pronounce it AYH (like my without m) - rih-sin. I think that the last part, cin, would automatically be pronounced as sin by most. It’s a very pretty name but lends itself to soooo many different pronunciations, which I wouldn’t like as an author, personally.

Yeah I don’t want readers having to sit and think for too long about how its meant to be pronounced. I’ve tried a few combinations of letters but nothing is fitting yet. It’s hard when it’s been his name for so long and he was the first character I created! He’s Ayre for now as a placeholder

I saw it as eye-rih-sin.

Ay-rye-sin was my first thought. Sorta like ‘rice in’ at the end.