How would you pronounce Ferelith?

See the results of this poll: Choose the closest one…

Respondents: 71 (This poll is closed)

• FEH-ruh-lith : 16 (23%)
  • FAIR-uh-lith : 42 (59%)
  • feh-ruh-LEETH : 4 (6%)
  • fair-uh-LEETH : 6 (8%)
  • FAIR-lith : 3 (4%)
  • FEAR-lith : 0 (0%)
  • fair-LEETH : 0 (0%)
  • fear-LEETH : 0 (0%)
  • None of the above (please comment): 0 (0%)

I voted for FAIR-uh-lith, but in my accent FAIR-uh-lith and FEH-ruh-lith sound identical.

(This pronunciation is just my assumption, based on the spelling. What the traditional pronunciation is, I don’t know.)

Thanks! I say FEH-ruh-lith, which sounds slightly different to FAIR-uh-lith in my accent.

I’m worried I have this wrong though and the “true” pronunciation uses the [name_f]LEETH[/name_f] ending.

I say FAIR-uh-lith, but I believe the correct one is FEH-reh-leeth or feh-reh-[name_f]LEETH[/name_f]. (I could be wrong, but I have read up on this name before because it’s so unique and pretty.) :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard the name before, so just off the spelling my instinct is Feh-ruh-lith

I voted for FEH-ruh-lith because to me, [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] reads like [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]

Feh-ruh-leeth, though I’m not sure if that’s right

I say Fair-lith if I’m talking in my regular relaxed accent, Fair-eh-lith if I’m enunciating.

Thanks all! :smiley:

Exactly what elanorelle said

I always say fair-lith in my head. (Btw I really like this name)

I will echo the posters who say “FAIR-uh-lith”, and note that “FAIR-uh-lith” and “FEH-ruh-lith” sound identical in my accent as well.

That’s interesting, FAIR-uh-lith and FEH-ruh-lith each sound distinct in my accent.

It’s important to remember how much pronunciations vary according to the accent of the speaker. [name_m]Even[/name_m] my own partner says my first name differently to how I say it!

I say “FEH-ruh-lith”. I agree that it seems to largely be an accent thing — feh and fair both sound different in my accent.

“FEH-ruh-lith” (which sounds distinct in my accent). [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

I voted for FAIR-uh-lith, because that’s how I would pronounce the name if I were speaking carefully, but when I say it at a regular or quicker speed then the way I pronounce it sounds a lot like just FAIR-lith

Thanks everyone! :smiley: